Why Azzi Fudd & Christyn Williams Will MAKE OR BREAK the UConn Huskies! | The Boneyard

Why Azzi Fudd & Christyn Williams Will MAKE OR BREAK the UConn Huskies!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting take, but imo, with so many talented guards, some combination of UConn guards will always step up this season. For me, what will “make or break” the Huskies this season will be the play of UConn’s frontcourt.

Liv, Aaliyah, Dorka and hopefully a healthy Aubrey have to consistently be a greater factor for UConn in big games. If that happens, I believe the Huskies win #12. If not, they probably fall short.

Reaction Score
Interesting take, but imo, with so many talented guards, some combination of UConn guards will always step up this season. For me, what will “make or break” the Huskies this season will be the play of UConn’s frontcourt.

Liv, Aaliyah, Dorka and hopefully a healthy Aubrey have to consistently be a greater factor for UConn in big games. If that happens, I believe the Huskies win #12. If not, they probably fall short.
you are so right. If our bigs don't play well and perform it could be a long season. Remember Paige played varsity in 8th grade and didn't win a chip until her junior year when she played with a dominant big and another playmaking guard. So far Paige is the only playmaking aggressive guard and our bigs are not scaring anyone. SC defended the perimeter to take away the 3 while giving up the inside but we couldn't capitalize. We may have to wait for Amari, Ice and, Ayanna before we get some aggressive inside play and a year for Azzi to realize she doesn't have to just settle for jump shots. At worst, when KK arrives she'll help with the drive and kick game

Reaction Score
With this team you are going to have to open it up from the perimeter in. It’s better to have it work inside out, but this team just isn’t built that way. Therefore you need this team to be aggressive guard plays with shooter mentalities for Paige and Azzi and Evina. CW will need to play lock down defense and drive and cutting hard at all times. Because the only way the bigs play well is if the guards are cooking shooting the ball and then dishing as defenders are forced to play tighter perimeter defense.

I truly believe Azzi is the X factor. We need her to be aggressive like Steph Curry. Steph isnt the best at defense but because he is so talented on offense it opens it up for everyone. And If you have a player like Paige next to you then you ride those two all day long. In my opinion Geno needs have that be the goal for the post season. A Steph/clay type offense with guys who can play their parts when called upon. I know Azzi defense is a liability right now but if she can be decent, we need her to be 15-20 point scorer for us.

Reaction Score

I'm saying what you already know--AE is undersized in the post. She's talented, aggressive, and a decent scorer--to expect her to go one one with Boston or Cardoza is asking a lot. Olivia, has a very thin frame, as talented as she is and as good generally as she is, a player with a solid frame will take advantage of her. My point is, Uconn has who it has and us fan are getting great fan basketball. I cheer UConn Women win or that other option--they are just fun to follow.

Reaction Score
Christyn plays way to many minutes for her play. She plays ok D but she has to make an outside shot. If not Azzi and Westbrook for me at end of games.

Reaction Score
Make or break - Olivia, Aliyah, Dorka and a healthy Aubrey.

100% agree with your statement Huskynut. No doubt that the success of these 4 individuals will determine whether UCONN wins a National Championship or not.

Reaction Score
Christyn plays way to many minutes for her play. She plays ok D but she has to make an outside shot. If not Azzi and Westbrook for me at end of games.
She is after Paige our most reliable scorer. Geno knows that. CW will be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Make or break - Olivia, Aliyah, Dorka and a healthy Aubrey.
I see developing Azzi into a more comfortable player and getting Caroline experience are more important keys. Liv is Liv, AE can do what Aubrey does plus score. Dorka needs to learn UConn style.

The players in order of importance:
Paige.
CW
Evina
AE
Azzi
Caroline
Liv or Dorka because we have to have a big
Nika
Aubrey in short bursts
Amari
Mir
Piath

Reaction Score
Putting a lot - if not too much - responsibility on a freshman. Azzi needs to grow into the game like any freshman. There will be times against less physically talented teams when she blows up. For now, the speed of a good quality opponent intimidates her. After about her tenth appearance against good teams, she'll adjust and have the confidence to contribute. She will play a meaningful role by tournament time.

Paige spoiled y'all last year. She was a freak as a freshman. Not every future All American and WNBA player has a freshman year like hers.

Reaction Score
I'm saying what you already know--AE is undersized in the post. She's talented, aggressive, and a decent scorer--to expect her to go one one with Boston or Cardoza is asking a lot. Olivia, has a very thin frame, as talented as she is and as good generally as she is, a player with a solid frame will take advantage of her. My point is, Uconn has who it has and us fan are getting great fan basketball. I cheer UConn Women win or that other option--they are just fun to follow.
Astute analysis. The question is whether the posts can narrow the gap with a team like South Carolina to enable the guards to shine and win the championship. It will be interesting to watch the progression through the season to see whether this happens.

as

Reaction Score
I don’t know who to pinpoint as the players that must up their game if they want to win it all. Right now, they are not playing UCONN team basketball. Everyone must step up their game. Plenty of time to fix things but we have already learned that this mindset “We have Paige. You don’t.” Is meaningless. The best team wins the NC. Not the team with the best player.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Putting a lot - if not too much - responsibility on a freshman. Azzi needs to grow into the game like any freshman. There will be times against less physically talented teams when she blows up. For now, the speed of a good quality opponent intimidates her. After about her tenth appearance against good teams, she'll adjust and have the confidence to contribute. She will play a meaningful role by tournament time.

Paige spoiled y'all last year. She was a freak as a freshman. Not every future All American and WNBA player has a freshman year like hers.
Besides Paige other recent freshman who performed Maya, Brianna, Caroline Doty, Kia Nurse, KML, KLS

Reaction Score
I see developing Azzi into a more comfortable player and getting Caroline experience are more important keys. Liv is Liv, AE can do what Aubrey does plus score. Dorka needs to learn UConn style.

The players in order of importance:
Paige.
CW
Evina
AE
Azzi
Caroline
Liv or Dorka because we have to have a big
Nika
Aubrey in short bursts
Amari
Mir
Piath

I see the order as being:

PAIGE
CW
LIV
EVINA
AE
AUBREY
AZZI
DORKA
CAROLINE
NIKA
MIR
PIATH
AMARI

Reaction Score

Thanks, kind, intelligent, insightful. Paige is the true exception to every freshman rule. Azzi, you can't count her out just yet. As you say, she is a Talented kid seeing a game moving at a speed she never ever saw. She too is learning those defending her are equal to her and better in all aspects of basketball---at this POINT, it will come to her . Friendly visitor, thank you for the kind works, but prepare AZZI is coming. I'd rather be Dawn right now, but I won't share Geno with anyone in March or April.
t

Reaction Score

Everybody has to get better. Have we given up on Olivia making a foul-line jumper, a fall-away? Will a healthy Aubrey develop a stop-and-pop, instead of crashing into a giant defender underneath? Will Piath ever get comfortable with her height and speed? Can Aliah and Dorka face the basket with a reliable shot? The list of hopefuls goes on, but in the meantime, Dawn was forced to admit that her gamecocks are the best offensive and defensive team she's ever put together. We've got time, but some teams seem to have arrived already. Right now, Paige seems to be the only one Geno screams at to shoot more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom