Why are we Waiting? | The Boneyard

Why are we Waiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like soo long ago that WM interviewed and chose our coach. I know it was recent and do not recall exactly what Coach D said pertaining to bringing in a staff.. I hope it is soon because other teams are filling co-ordinator positions already (ie. FL taking Duke's Roper)

I'm really pumped for the future and I believe UCONN comes down to ECU next year. I will definitely be going to that game.

Happy New Year to all and drive safe

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It also was a long time from firing PP to hiring BD...and that seemed to work out okay.

Patience.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Coach Diaco said not to expect staffing anouncents until after the Holidays. Don't take that to mean that positions have not been filled, just the announcements are being held back.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I found it funny that BD said he wanted everyone to enjoy the holidays and then axed everyone but Foley before Christmas. :confused:

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I found it funny that ND said he wanted everyone to enjoy the holidays and then axed everyone but Foley before Christmas. :confused:
You know how pro teams cut decent players during the first cut so they can catch on with other teams? This is the college coaching version.

Reaction Score
He actually did those guys a favor letting them go when he did...they got a head start looking for new jobs.
This, exactly. It was good form letting them go when he did.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Hank Hughes will not be working again, at least not as a college football coach.

Reaction Score
I found it funny that BD said he wanted everyone to enjoy the holidays and then axed everyone but Foley before Christmas. :confused:
If the guys let go are capable FBS level coaches they will catch on with other programs quickly. If you never hear from them again at this level...then...well you know.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that some coaches informed the AD they would not be returning. I'm assuming the coaches brought in during Coach P's term(Weist, Day, Buggs) were at the head of that line. Probably want to go back to more familiar territory or had already received offers from other programs and just want to start fresh like Diaco does. I feel bad for Hughes as he was a good soldier. Like to see him get his shot and lead a New England team, even if it isn't D-1. I'll be curious to see how many athletes slated to return next year actually do. Smallwood's already gone and I suspect one of the QB's will be moving on, most likely Boyle or the redshirt.

Really hope Schafenacker pans out and if Knappe isn't a projected starter on D maybe see him move to the offensive line. That guy has the size and he's been around the program long enough to know what's going on so it's time for him to earn his keep. I hope we hear good recruiting news as it pertains to lineman. Hopefully the new coaches coming in have a couple ringers in their pocket to bring along.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that some coaches informed the AD they would not be returning. I'm assuming the coaches brought in during Coach P's term(Weist, Day, Buggs) were at the head of that line. Probably want to go back to more familiar territory or had already received offers from other programs and just want to start fresh like Diaco does. I feel bad for Hughes as he was a good soldier. Like to see him get his shot and lead a New England team, even if it isn't D-1. I'll be curious to see how many athletes slated to return next year actually do. Smallwood's already gone and I suspect one of the QB's will be moving on, most likely Boyle or the redshirt.

Really hope Schafenacker pans out and if Knappe isn't a projected starter on D maybe see him move to the offensive line. That guy has the size and he's been around the program long enough to know what's going on so it's time for him to earn his keep. I hope we hear good recruiting news as it pertains to lineman. Hopefully the new coaches coming in have a couple ringers in their pocket to bring along.
Don't be surprised if 5th yr guys like McCoombs decide to move on as well. With DeLorenzo, Joe Williams if he becomes eligible, Marriner and Claxx in addition to Newsome coming in McCoombs may end up a victim of the numbers game getting carries. Dez had a tweet yesterday that Whitmer received his degree in Sociology...I can see him not coming back either. I would be surprised if Boyle packed it in yet....I can see instead an epic qb battle happening instead.

Reaction Score

I predict that Boyle will be gone. He seems to have a history of flip flopping and little loyalty to programs he "committed" to if he doesn't get his way. Would be a shame because he has the potential to be our best QB.

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if 5th yr guys like McCoombs decide to move on as well. With DeLorenzo, Joe Williams if he becomes eligible, Marriner and Claxx in addition to Newsome coming in McCoombs may end up a victim of the numbers game getting carries.

McCoombs leaving would be a blessing in disguise. He goes down if the wind is blowing too hard.

Reaction Score
McCombs and Boyle aren't going anywhere. Boyle is committed to competing for the job. His disappointment in being replaced by Casey has doubled his resolve to get better. His only program concern was whether the new coach would bring in a system not suited to his skills, e.g., the spread or zone read option. And McCombs can be better utilized (and be even more successful) within a multiple-back set. Doubtful you'll see him returning kicks next year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Once again, I'm simply amazed at the amount of hatred there is for "McCoombs" (apparently, to the point of not spelling a three-year starter's name correctly). :confused: Unbelievable.

The kid has ability and the kid works hard. Oh, and he can do the job, too. If people want him to be Todman, Brown, or Dixon, that's just not who he is. But he has shown that behind a Foley-led line, he can gain yards and he is absolutely one of our top two backs, period. If you would have told me that the Big East rookie of the year would have caught this much flack in years three and four of his career, I would have said that people are nuts. Well....they're nuts...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Coach Diaco is already on record that his schemes will take advantage of the player's skills as opposed to fitting a square peg into a round hole like Former "Coach" Pasqualoni's philosophy. As far as I know, none of the top three QB's are scrambling type players fit for the spread or option type offenses. Not to mention that the inexperience of the offensive line does not lend itself well to foregoing help from a back or tight end. I think you'll see a traditional offense suited well for a drop back passer in the mold of Andrew Luck (Boyle) or Drew Brees (Cochran).

Reaction Score
I predict that Boyle will be gone. He seems to have a history of flip flopping and little loyalty to programs he "committed" to if he doesn't get his way. Would be a shame because he has the potential to be our best QB.
Some history, once!!!!!!!!!!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
His new head coach all but told him his skillset would count against him because he was not a prototype for the new offense being installed at BC. Coach Addazio basically encouraged Boyle to look elsewhere. I think you are referring to another freshman QB who was once in UConn's camp.

Reaction Score
Once again, I'm simply amazed at the amount of hatred there is for "McCoombs" (apparently, to the point of not spelling a three-year starter's name correctly). :confused: Unbelievable.

The kid has ability and the kid works hard. Oh, and he can do the job, too. If people want him to be Todman, Brown, or Dixon, that's just not who he is. But he has shown that behind a Foley-led line, he can gain yards and he is absolutely one of our top two backs, period. If you would have told me that the Big East rookie of the year would have caught this much flack in years three and four of his career, I would have said that people are nuts. Well....they're nuts...
Also, Lyle wasn't named captain for the heck of it. I think his coaches and teammates love him...he's the one in the middle of the team huddle leading the cheer just before they take the field for kick-off.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Boyle's not going anywhere not sure why folks keep saying that. He is focused on the off season work outs and getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom