Why are we banking scholarships? | The Boneyard

Why are we banking scholarships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are playing three scholarships under the limit this year and can clearly use help! We also have several more to give next season with only 2 guys committed.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
He is waiting on kids to make up their minds.

Reaction Score
huskiesnyc said:
We are playing three scholarships under the limit this year and can clearly use help! We also have several more to give next season with only 2 guys committed.

Daniels left in April and Tolksdorf transferred. We couldn't find a fifth year transfer who we liked (and who we could get admitted to grad school)

Reaction Score

You're right, the decision not to take good players has come back to bite us... By the time those schollies opened up, there was no one of any use worth taking.

Reaction Score
Because ollie can't recruit

Purvis was an AA, Hamilton was ranked 30th in the country and Jalen Adams is top 25 and the #3 ranked PG in the class but yeah Ollie can't recruit...nevermind the fact that we play in a joke of a conference. That doesn't hinder recruiting at all right? You sound like an idiot. Take your negativity elsewhere.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ollie has been doing this for 3 years, he leaves a few schollies open in hopes of a big incoming recruiting class. The only problem is that he never gets a big recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Because we have so many skilled players recruits do not want to come play here- for fear of no PT.

Reaction Score
Ollie has been doing this for 3 years, he leaves a few schollies open in hopes of a big incoming recruiting class. The only problem is that he never gets a big recruiting class.

We had all 13 scholarships accounted for last season.

caw

Reaction Score
Daniels left in April and Tolksdorf transferred. We couldn't find a fifth year transfer who we liked (and who we could get admitted to grad school)

Just because it feels like no one else in this thread read this. If Ollie had filled the final three scholarships after those events, people would be bitching about him wasting scholarships on low rated kids.

Reaction Score
JC used to fill ships, and then he'd have a talk with some kids who realized that if they wanted more playing time, they'd either have to transfer or get better.

Reaction Score
The only problem is that he never gets a big recruiting class.
Um, am I wrong, or was he only responsible for two recruiting classes? Didn't JC wait until late summer to hand off the team? So 1st year was entirely JC's team? Then he recruited for last year, and then this year?

Isn't "never" a strong word considering that he has only had 2 seasons?

We may be the 2nd worst fan base after Kentucky when it comes to our "what have you done for me lately?" mentality, and by "lately" I mean "the last 10 games."

Jesus.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Um, am I wrong, or was he only responsible for two recruiting classes? Didn't JC wait until late summer to hand off the team? So 1st year was entirely JC's team? Then he recruited for last year, and then this year?

Isn't "never" a strong word considering that he has only had 2 seasons?

We may be the 2nd worst fan base after Kentucky when it comes to our "what have you done for me lately?" mentality, and by "lately" I mean "the last 10 games."

Jesus.
Fair assessment. 2014 was supposed to be the big class and it was hyped up that way with Devin Robinson, LJ Peak, Paul White, McLaughlin, Larrier, Leron Black, etc. I could name 15 guys who we were in the top 5 or top 3 for. We swung and missed that year only landing Hamilton.

2015 was supposed to be big too and it hasn't been so far. We all knew we were going to land either Adams, Donovan Mitchell, or Briscoe in addition to Enoch. Prince Ali, Chris Clarke, Derrick Jones, and Tevon Mack are big swings and misses (Ali not so much).

Reaction Score
We're gonna offer Stone the unprecedented triple scholarship.

Reaction Score
Fair assessment. 2014 was supposed to be the big class and it was hyped up that way with Devin Robinson, LJ Peak, Paul White, McLaughlin, Larrier, Leron Black, etc. I could name 15 guys who we were in the top 5 or top 3 for. We swung and missed that year only landing Hamilton.

2015 was supposed to be big too and it hasn't been so far. We all knew we were going to land either Adams, Donovan Mitchell, or Briscoe in addition to Enoch. Prince Ali, Chris Clarke, Derrick Jones, and Tevon Mack are big swings and misses (Ali not so much).
If only we got Prince Ali and Mustafa Herron, ESPN (Disney) would put us on Big Monday every week.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for the influx of Southern Cal ballers that many posters said Ollie would bring in given his LA roots. Are we even recruiting any California kids?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Uh, yeah. Hamilton, we were looking at Dorsey.

The decision to not make a multi-year commitment for 14-15 when our last tw0 were Lubin & Jr, makes total sense to me. So he banked 3 figuring he would get a grad student to use one of them. It didn't happen so he admirably gave 2 of them to hard working walk-ons.
Because tieing up a schollie for 4 years to a mediocre 3 star is not as bright as waiting a year for a better player. And most of the 14-15 recruiting happened before we were champs.
Otherwise, as only Boat is leaving, we would not have been able to offer Adams & Enoch. Now we can get both of them and possibly 2 others. Wish it could be Stone & Dorsey but there are still others worth more than what we could have gotten.

Reaction Score
The AAC may as well be on the Frickin' Moon.....Quite Frankly it's a miracle we got Hamilton. Luckily Adams & Enoch are "local" otherwise I doubt we get them...they will be good but we need more of them. What kid who has 10 schollie offers from P5 schools would want to play in obscurity of the AAC where the biggest games UConn play are OOC games in Nov/Dec and the NCAA tourney.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You have another option? Some schools do it quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom