Why am I surprised?? | The Boneyard

Why am I surprised??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Puke goes 2-2 in past two weeks and goes from unranked to #16.
I guess blatant tripping pays off
I give up on making any sense of CBB this year

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And people don't think the dook bump is real...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This is going to ruffle the "why do we have Dook threads on here!" crowd.

That said - they did beat #13, #7, #5 before that and lost to #18 and a pretty good Pitt team. It's not like they're losing to Houston (cringe).

Reaction Score
from the time they were unranked they beat UNC, Lville, and UVA and their two losses are at Lville and at Pitt.

They should be ranked after that, I mean there is no argument for them not being ranked.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
from the time they were unranked they beat UNC, Lville, and UVA and their two losses are at Lville and at Pitt.

They should be ranked after that, I mean there is no argument for them not being ranked.

Good points.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@tykurez Your quote is unintentionally the prime example of the fallacy of expectations for our conference and college basketball in general.
Pitt is the #40 Kenpom team in the country, Houston is 53rd. In the parody sport that is college basketball, there's not a whole lot of difference between those two teams. Lose to Pitt? Hey that's life in the ACC. Lose the Houston? The world is coming to an end.

People have jersey bias and it drives a lot of the conversation, angst, panic, etc here.

Reaction Score
I actually find myself hoping, in some part, that Duke makes a deep run this year. In the past 10 years the Duke hate has really subsided nationally, and, dare I say it - among us, here. Having that dude Grayson - OMG it's perfect - take them to a FF would be epic and would rekindle all that lost hatred. I'm hoping for at least one game winning, heart breaking shot from young Master Grayson, as well as some blantantly pro-Duke officiating, conspicuously high seeding, and playing as an East seed.

I'm being completely serious.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It's not like they're losing to H̶o̶u̶s̶t̶o̶n̶ Temple (cringe).

@OkaForPrez I get that, fair point. Perception-wise we just don't have the names to go up against in the American. I edited it above to make it slightly more reasonable.

Reaction Score
Honest question: what do you think it would take for Duke to miss the tournament? I feel like at 18-13 they would be in. 17-14? 16-15? Who knows.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
@tykurez Your quote is unintentionally the prime example of the fallacy of expectations for our conference and college basketball in general.
Pitt is the #40 Kenpom team in the country, Houston is 53rd. In the parody sport that is college basketball, there's not a whole lot of difference between those two teams. Lose to Pitt? Hey that's life in the ACC. Lose the Houston? The world is coming to an end.

People have jersey bias and it drives a lot of the conversation, angst, panic, etc here.

I get what you are getting at but misguided in this specific instance. You forgot to factor in Duke on the Road UConn at home. That is a pretty big differential.

You can sugar coat it with any amount of numbers you want. Our loss was way worse than Duke; in perception AND reality.

Reaction Score
I get what you are getting at but misguided in this specific instance. You forgot to factor in Duke on the Road UConn at home. That is a pretty big differential.

You can sugar coat it with any amount of numbers you want. Our loss was way worse than Duke; in perception AND reality.
Agree on this, Duke was a 1 point dog at Pitt and UConn was a 10 point favorite at home v Houston.

I do think the teams are similar, but the losses are not

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Jerry1714 That's fair. And I'm definitely not arguing one vs. the other, just that they are in the same stratosphere more or less. Or to say the least, the reaction of our fanbase to this loss has been exacerbated by a desperation around realignment, bolstered expectations on Ollie based on the team's 2014 run and a lack of familiarity/respect for the year Houston is actually having.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
@August_West Except that we beat them in their house.
But you were specifically talking about the last Houston and Duke games, no? Thats how I read it. And even still, whether or not the teams are 10 digits apart in the KenPom (and what tells me that that is the closest metric to prove your point? You did, didnt you, sneaky guy ?:)........ I just looked RPI is a 40 place spread, BPI is 25 place spread ) No one ever (at least right now) is going to equate going into Hoffheinz with going into the Pete.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@August_West Houston has played one of the worst OOC schedules in CBB this year which will skew RPI, not sure about BPI but I believe to some degree as well. KP is the best barometer we have about their true talent.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
@August_West Houston has played one of the worst OOC schedules in CBB this year which will skew RPI, not sure about BPI but I believe to some degree as well. KP is the best barometer we have about their true talent.

Hey, your singing to the choir. After Houstons performance on Sunday I think they can beat the Golden State Warriors, they've come a long way. But have you looked at Pitt's OOC schedule recently? It is almost as bad. They played a very weak preseason OOC too, so we are pretty much comparing apples to apples here. The BPI spread is 25. we have a full season to account. Pitt is the better team, but Houston is seemingly peaking right now.

Reaction Score

As much as I dislike Pitt and have seen them lose a lot this year, Dixon always gets these sturdy players that can rebound and have toughness. Pains me to say this but we are not as good as Pitt. I do think that Houston is a decent team.

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike Pitt and have seen them lose a lot this year, Dixon always gets these sturdy players that can rebound and have toughness. Pains me to say this but we are not as good as Pitt. I do think that Houston is a decent team.

I don't think Pitt is better than us. Before Sunday, they'd had a grand total of one top 50 win. If the two teams play on a neutral court, UConn is probably favored by a couple points.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Despite how much Duke stinks, if you watch a game they actually run a competant offense with guys that can create and FINISHHHHHHHH.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@BUHusky10 They are essentially an inverse of us. They play top 10 offense and barely top 100 defense. Its a matter of taste, but I'd rather be a team built on defense. Even great offensive teams can have an off shooting night.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But you were specifically talking about the last Houston and Duke games, no? Thats how I read it. And even still, whether or not the teams are 10 digits apart in the KenPom (and what tells me that that is the closest metric to prove your point? You did, didnt you, sneaky guy ?:)... I just looked RPI is a 40 place spread, BPI is 25 place spread ) No one ever (at least right now) is going to equate going into Hoffheinz with going into the Pete.

Hoffheinz is a sneaky tough place to play though.

Reaction Score
@BUHusky10 They are essentially an inverse of us. They play top 10 offense and barely top 100 defense. Its a matter of taste, but I'd rather be a team built on defense. Even great offensive teams can have an off shooting night.

I wouldn't think consistency would be much in our favor here.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Despite how much Duke stinks, if you watch a game they actually run a competant offense with guys that can create and FINISHHHHHHHH.

They always run good offense. Its their D that stinks. If you have good, smart, poised guards that can handle the overplay perimeter pressure you can take them down easily when they are playing D.
But their offense. If they are having a good night from 3.....look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom