WHUS soccer coverage | The Boneyard

WHUS soccer coverage

Reaction Score
Last year WHUS carried every women's soccer game home and away, and most of the men's soccer games. This year they are not carrying the women's soccer opener at Syracuse. Considering I listen to almost every soccer game that they carry, I've gotten spoiled by their coverage in recent years. I'm wondering how many road soccer games the station is going have on the air this fall.

Reaction Score
Last year WHUS carried every women's soccer game home and away, and most of the men's soccer games. This year they are not carrying the women's soccer opener at Syracuse. Considering I listen to almost every soccer game that they carry, I've gotten spoiled by their coverage in recent years. I'm wondering how many road soccer games the station is going have on the air this fall.

DB - Do you know why -is it budget constraints, lack of interested/capable "announcers" or is it a "ratings" issue?

Reaction Score
DB - Do you know why -is it budget constraints, lack of interested/capable "announcers" or is it a "ratings" issue?

I don't know for certain. In recent years there seem to have been a couple of students who seemed greatly interested in doing UConn soccer. However, the students who did the games in the past have pretty much gone and graduated. As evidence, it seemed to me that John Tuite did a lot of solo home men's games the last few years, so that would also indicate to me a lack of interest by WHUS student announcers in doing soccer. I think this could be the main problem. Of course, classes don't start until next week, so students aren't around yet either.

As far as the budget goes, I sent an email about a week ago to the WHUS sports director inquiring about posting a game broadcast schedule on the WHUS website. He said all home soccer games will be covered. As far as road games, he was waiting for a WHUS budget meeting to be held that week before completing the sports broadcast schedule. That seemed to me that was getting too close to the fall sports season to be making those decisions. I would have thought a decision like that should have been made a bit earlier in the summer well before the fall sports schedule was ready to start. I'm guessing if there were student broadcasters who were really interesting in doing soccer, they might have looked for a decision before last week. Of course, it could also be the inexperience in such decisions on the part of a new sports director and his broadcast team, none of whom have broadcasted all that many soccer matches.

Reaction Score
This morning WHUS sports has a tentative schedule posted on the website. For women's soccer, the game today at Rutgers is not listed. Also, the game at Fordham in September was not on it as well, but from a quick glance it seemed that all the other women's soccer games were listed. Mens soccer was missing a few road games as well, but also had a few listed. I am a little disappointed in the missing games, but that is only because WHUS sports in recent years had managed to provide almost complete coverage of both teams. I'm sure John Tuite will be doing almost every men's soccer match as his schedule allows, it will be interesting how many student broadcasters turn up doing the soccer broadcasts. WHUS has had a very good run of student broadcasters (Eli Pearlstein, Adam Giardino, Chris Jones, Jeff Lemmon, etc.) who were dedicated in doing the sport for both genders, it would be good to see that continue.

Here's a link to the broadcast schedule.

Sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom