Whose our biggest rival? | The Boneyard

Whose our biggest rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There’s nothing better in College Sports than a strong rivalry to look forward to every year.

Which Big East school do you consider our biggest rival currently?

Who is our all-time biggest rival?

Very curious to see if there’s a true consensus here.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There’s nothing better in College Sports than a strong rivalry to look forward to every year.

Which Big East school do you consider our biggest rival currently?

Who is our all-time biggest rival?

Very curious to see if there’s a true consensus here.
Creighton and Nova.

Cuse only because their fanbase is insufferable and the media coddling they get

Reaction Score
All jokes aside, I do actually miss our “rivalry” with Cincy.
That was moreso a rivarly with the angry elf rather than Cincy themselves.

I think rivals like Cuse and Nova will always outlast whatever coaches are at the helm. Cincy always felt like a coach thing to me

Reaction Score
Nova for sure. Creighton is budding due to how much we suck against them and PC wants us to be their rival REALLY bad but until they have any sort of sustained success they are just the closest opponent.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That was moreso a rivarly with the angry elf rather than Cincy themselves.

I think rivals like Cuse and Nova will always outlast whatever coaches are at the helm. Cincy always felt like a coach thing to me
Definitely wasn’t the same after the leprechaun left

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I think the answer is Syracuse but it's an underwhelming answer when we don't play them every year. The next best answer should be Georgetown but they've been so bad lately that there's no rivalry happening there, so it's Villanova I guess.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If we're talking insufferable, wouldn't that make @freescooter our biggest rival? LOL
I can’t believe anyone wrote this because I was jokingly going to write the same thing and thought it was too obscure for anyone to get the humor of it.

Reaction Score
Currently it’s Nova but it’s almost been one way so far . I think old Big East makes it special .
For the same reason it was Cinncy in the AAC were we did better.
We had some great Cinncy moments
The triple OT game classic and the shot.
and the big win our last year in the AAC
When the normally gentle Carlton threw their 7’0” center to the floor changing the game.
That was a coming back party.
But Cuse is the most special;
Going back to the 1970’s when we ended their long home winning streak at the old Fieldhouse. When Tony Hanson had that crazed look on his face and dared them to stop him .
No one resented our rise in the. Big East more than their fans. The six OT game in 2009 which was almost decided by whose walk on’s were better.
We had our moments also
The legendary game st the HCC 1989-90 were we beat top ten Cuse and began the dream season.
The 2013 game with all that bitterness surrounding it when a top ten and I believe FF Syracuse came to Storrs for the last time and left with a bad taste of UConn
My last memories are of a cocky little used
NYC guard named Vital coming off the bench to seal the upset with two FT’s at MSG.
Or Cobb of all people having the game of his life in another upset.
I think the disrespect Syracuse always had for us made that game special.

Reaction Score
S tier - Syracuse
A tier - Nova, Georgetown
B tier - Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Creigton, Duke

Reaction Score
I don’t really hate anyone in the Big East. The only games that I would circle on the calendar would be Nova/Creighton. Everyone else I am ambivalent about and wouldn’t refer to as rivals.

I will always hate Cuse. Unfortunately, without playing them consistently that rivalry will fade.

Reaction Score
Can Nova and Creighton really be our rivals if we haven't beaten them? We got Nova once at least, so maybe we can count them... but it has been a pretty one-sided relationship

Not trying to be "that guy" about our program.. but realistically speaking.

Reaction Score
IMO we don't have one anymore. When the old BE dissolved it erased most of the historical ties that bind. Memories fade and Boeheim will eventually leave his post one way or the other. Once he's gone the 'Cuse factor goes with him.

I want to see what happens with 'Cuse in terms of the ACC's grant of rights. They are tied into ESPN for the foreseeable future at a relatively cheap rate that does football no favors relative to the rest of the P5, and Syracuse has not impressed as an ACC member in really any sports. I could see a scenario where they figure out a way to compete in conference affiliated football and then migrate the rest of the ball of wax to the Big East. Thinking BC could also go this route. You think about it neither school fits the ACC footprint culturally. Wake Forest is close but Cuse and BC as catholic/jesuit oriented are like fish out of water.

I wonder if the ACC bylaws allow for kicking out a member institution that isn't pulling its weight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t really hate anyone in the Big East. The only games that I would circle on the calendar would be Nova/Creighton. Everyone else I am ambivalent about and wouldn’t refer to as rivals.

I will always hate Cuse. Unfortunately, without playing them consistently that rivalry will fade.
This is fascinating to observe. In just a couple years Creighton has reached an impressive level of respect from UConn fans. When we returned to Big East, I remember most fans on this board were just "meh" with respect to Creighton. They were largely an afterthought to the average Husky fan. Diehard Big East fans and people paying attention knew better.

Kudos to the Blue Jays--their coach, fans, facilities, admin--for getting our attention. Guess that's what 5-0 will do.

The new generation of Husky fans will find it hard to appreciate the Syracuse rivalry, unfortunately. Out of sight, out of mind. St John's and Georgetown were huge games when I attended UConn in the mid 1990s.

Nova, GTown, Creighton, Providence, St John's

Reaction Score
Syracuse is the only team I truly despise. I want their program to burn in the ashes of hellfire. I want every team in the Big East to be good. So it’s hard to hate them like that. Even if Syracuse joined the Big East I’d still want them to be at the bottom wallowing in despair.

Reaction Score
PC has real potential.
St John’s too.
BC could’ve been but the were too scared of us.
Syracuse would be one of the biggest if they hadn’t bailed. It’s starting to fade fast.
UMass could’ve been something in the 90’s but they could sustain (the were duped by the squid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom