Whose Leap Will Rock The Most? | The Boneyard

Whose Leap Will Rock The Most?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Surprise! It's me and I never do this, so be patient. First, freshmen don't have a leap, though they can rock us. So, it's a real simple, there are no losers, guessing game. Who will be our wow Husky this fall?

My choice: Olivia Nelson-Ododa , a/k/a ONO or Oh, No! She has a marvelous skill set and lay on top of that the experience of the 3x3 ... read, don't foul ... and she'll cement herself as our swat, block, influence shot queen.

Honorable mention: Evelyn Adebayo. Working hard to get UConn fit, she has a lot of skills that make UConn more dangerous on both ends of the floor.

Freshman you wish you could vote for: Anna Makurat. Ain't no typical freshman baby!

Reaction Score
I concur, it's Ono. However, I expect huge increases in production from Walker and Williams also.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree with ONO by far. Mainly because she has (as a critical starter) to and the biggest motivation is understanding that the team needs you. I am penciling in Evina to get her waiver

I think Adebayo, Anna Makurat and Aubrey will be good in limited roles with strong competition on who gets the lion share of minutes and responsibility.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Batouly.

It seems like she's the healthiest she's been since she arrived, and the fact that she put in full 40 minute games while she was playing for the Guinean National Team is a really good sign she's ready to go.

Is she going to put up huge numbers? I doubt it. But I am optimistic that we're going to see a lot more of the banger we all hoped for when she transferred in.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Batouly.

It seems like she's the healthiest she's been since she arrived, and the fact that she put in full 40 minute games while she was playing for the Guinean National Team is a really good sign she's ready to go.

Is she going to put up huge numbers? I doubt it. But I am optimistic that we're going to see a lot more of the banger we all hoped for when she transferred in.

Everyone seems to attribute her lack of playing time to injury recovery issues but I am not so sure. I think Geno has stated that the biggest issue with Batouly is the speed she has in picking up fouls.

I would love to see her make a bigger impact but am not optimistic with the newbies pushing the old bench guard further to the bench.

I guess the best chance Batouly (Or Kyla) would have in making an impact is if Evina does not get her waiver and the newbies are not ready to break into the starting rotation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Surprise! It's me and I never do this, so be patient. First, freshmen don't have a leap, though they can rock us. So, it's a real simple, there are no losers, guessing game. Who will be our wow Husky this fall?

My choice: Olivia Nelson-Ododa , a/k/a ONO or Oh, No! She has a marvelous skill set and lay on top of that the experience of the 3x3 ... read, don't foul ... and she'll cement herself as our swat, block, influence shot queen.

Honorable mention: Evelyn Adebayo. Working hard to get UConn fit, she has a lot of skills that make UConn more dangerous on both ends of the floor.

Freshman you wish you could vote for: Anna Makurat. Ain't no typical freshman baby!

I agree with your observations here. ONO has more upside than Christyn because Christyn got starter's minutes last year. She was on the floor for long periods of time, and able to get into a rhythm. Thus more opportunity to adjust and refine her game to this level of play. ONO was on the floor for limited periods of time, and was not really able to get any sustained rhythm going. ONO will do things THIS year she was not able to do last year. ONO now will get those starter's minutes and be on the floor for longer periods of time.

Christyn will give us the same thing she did last year, just more of it. Now that she's no longer a freshman and won't have to defer to Samuelson and Collier, she'll have plays run for her, and be targeted to receive more of Crystal's "no-look" fast break passes and a score, thus getting responses from her like this.............

Anna Makurat comes in having played against professionals at a higher level than high school. She's NOT your average freshman. The adjustment she'll have to make (if any), will be minimal. Right now we don’t have any idea who will claim that 5th starter's position, but it would not surprise me if Geno goes with Anna.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m going to go with Westbrook. If she’s cleared to play this year, I think she can be in the NPOY Discussion, a All American and AAC POY. She is hungry to win, is willing and wants to be coached up, could have something to prove, and wants to be the best she can be. She has shown silent assassin mentality at times, and if Geno and Co can get her to play that way all the time then she could really be a “UConn Star”.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My guess is Squeaks.

1. Bigger internal motor = still able to improve significantly despite starting from a higher 'rung'

I think Squeaks will be in the AA conversation by year-end. UCONN's upper-echelon players have all had a very strong motor and Squeaks fits that mold. Plus being a player with the ball in their hand a lot leads to quicker progress. Motor's like hers aren't learned or earned -- it's a personal quality you bring to the table, or you don't. No slight to ONO intended , but I think Squeaks has the superior motor. Plus, Squeaks appears to me to have the belief that she can be a star on this level. She's wired that way. Motor is one thing but belief is another necessary driver.

2. Bigs take more time

Bigs take more time to develop , so while she will undoubtedly give us a *lot* more this season than last, I think she won't make a really big move until next season. With more pressure on her to perform and more of a spotlight on her play, she will also spend more time in Geno's chateau de bow wow, as part of the the aformentioned "development" process. This is good in the long run but leads to ups and downs in the near term. Though ONO received her share of cold stares, pine-riding and dressings-down from the staff last season, I think Squeaks has already seen a lot more of that movie than Liv has, and she will be better equipped to persevere through those patches to maintain consistency.

Having said all this, if ONO has even has the SAME size leap as Squeaks this season, we will all (myself included!) be very happy come tournament time.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It seems like everyone is forgetting about Megan Walker, who seems to me to be the obvious choice. She will (along with Crystal) be a team leader this year, with no Pheesa or Lou to defer to. I think she will play at the same level as they did last year.

Reaction Score

My guess is Squeaks.

1. Bigger internal motor = still able to improve significantly despite starting from a higher 'rung'

I think Squeaks will be in the AA conversation by year-end. UCONN's upper-echelon players have all had a very strong motor and Squeaks fits that mold. Plus being a player with the ball in their hand a lot leads to quicker progress. Motor's like hers aren't learned or earned -- it's a personal quality you bring to the table, or you don't. No slight to ONO intended , but I think Squeaks has the superior motor. Plus, Squeaks appears to me to have the belief that she can be a star on this level. She's wired that way. Motor is one thing but belief is another necessary driver.

2. Bigs take more time

Bigs take more time to develop , so while she will undoubtedly give us a *lot* more this season than last, I think she won't make a really big move until next season. With more pressure on her to perform and more of a spotlight on her play, she will also spend more time in Geno's chateau de bow wow, as part of the the aformentioned "development" process. This is good in the long run but leads to ups and downs in the near term. Though ONO received her share of cold stares, pine-riding and dressings-down from the staff last season, I think Squeaks has already seen a lot more of that movie than Liv has, and she will be better equipped to persevere through those patches to maintain consistency.

Having said all this, if ONO has even has the SAME size leap as Squeaks this season, we will all (myself included!) be very happy come tournament time.
Your choice of ONO is excellent---I too think she'll surprise many. But my choice is C.Williams. The video of the 3 on 3 shows what she'll do when loosey goosey CW doesn't have Seniors to bow to. Her normal mentality is what the 3 on 3 showed. The Notre Dame (game 1) is only the tip of this coming year's iceberg.. The kid is capable of soooo much more than we have seen. Megan won't be far behind.
Anna ain't no butter cup either, Westbrook, Evelyn, Touly--let us not drop out the Seniors in life often we have LATE BLOOMers.

Reaction Score
My guess is Squeaks.

2. Bigs take more time

h
All you say is true and accurate! However--Ono already made a HUGE leap from November to March a totally different and effective post player. We shall be very surprised at the composure and selective swatting (without fouling) and scoring as the focus of the offense. With the guards and wings playing total defense she will be rewareded with lots of opportunities to score. Expect, and get, more from ONO.

Reaction Score
I’m going to go with Westbrook. If she’s cleared to play this year, I think she can be in the NPOY Discussion, a All American and AAC POY. She is hungry to win, is willing and wants to be coached up, could have something to prove, and wants to be the best she can be. She has shown silent assassin mentality at times, and if Geno and Co can get her to play that way all the time then she could really be a “UConn Star”.

If Westbrook is and WAS all you say---that not a leap--it's just continuing what she has done---I'll accept that. If she is all you say--no leap---but a welcome addition to the Uconn team. If she is strong enough and with enough talent she could be a UC star but CW won't take that sitting down--she has told the "Land of Opportunity" she will show us what she has. AND that amazing..

Reaction Score
If you listen carefully, you can hear some Squeaking in the distance.
Don't turn around that LOUD squeaking isn't a mouse---and it's getting very close to being the UC player of the Year. Without the top 2 now WNBA/Europe she's free to show her stuff. I always like the way YOU think.

Reaction Score
I agree with ONO by far. Mainly because she has (as a critical starter) to and the biggest motivation is understanding that the team needs you. I am penciling in Evina to get her waiver

I think Adebayo, Anna Makurat and Aubrey will be good in limited roles with strong competition on who gets the lion share of minutes and responsibility.
I beg to differ. Aubrey won't be starting in November who knows about January? She has lots of Gabby in her. Anna? I must warn you--this is all emotional--I like
Ania/Anna everything about her. She will be a starter before March--I believe that. Adebayo, if she starts ever it will be because of rebounding--she has lots of Uconn/big rime Div 1 learning to do.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
All you say is true and accurate! However--Ono already made a HUGE leap from November to March a totally different and effective post player. We shall be very surprised at the composure and selective swatting (without fouling) and scoring as the focus of the offense. With the guards and wings playing total defense she will be rewareded with lots of opportunities to score. Expect, and get, more from ONO.

I think the most excited I got during our games last year was when Liv had some of those epic "swats" deep in the Tournament...!!! I'm definitely looking forward to more of those "No soup for you!!!" plays from ONO!!! :D

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom