Whose father slipped on the ice during a visit? | The Boneyard

Whose father slipped on the ice during a visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I just finished rereading Geno's book. In it he mentions a recruit visit but he doesn't name her. Does anyone remember the recruit who's father slipped on the ice outside the Civic Center and broke his ankle.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yup, Jayne Appel's father took the spill.

JS

Reaction Score
And then she went to Stanford.
Which, I think, she would've done anyway. The slip couldn't have added to the ambiance of the visit, but the family denied it had anything to do with the college choice.

Aside from whatever other factors were in play, Ms. Appel went to high school within about an hour's drive of Stanford. I think it was a compliment to UConn that she took the possibility of coming cross-country very seriously.

How seriously? Well, there was this Boneyarder with the handle of "Big Joe" who had good things to say about the attractions of UConn for her. He also said the injury didn't hurt much . . . er, as to UConn's chances.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Which, I think, she would've done anyway. The slip couldn't have added to the ambiance of the visit, but the family denied it had anything to do with the college choice.
I disagree. Ice and snow are evil. :mad:

Reaction Score
That book is a nice read. Tons of insight. However, I have been campaigning for years to get someone to notice the glaring error on page 69 regarding the last ten seconds of the '95 championship game against Tennessee. Maybe someone will notice.

Reaction Score
That book is a nice read. Tons of insight. However, I have been campaigning for years to get someone to notice the glaring error on page 69 regarding the last ten seconds of the '95 championship game against Tennessee. Maybe someone will notice.

Yes it was a good book. If I recall correctly, there were several errors in the book -- including the spelling of the Villanova coach's name!

Reaction Score
However, I have been campaigning for years to get someone to notice the glaring error on page 69 regarding the last ten seconds of the '95 championship game against Tennessee. Maybe someone will notice.
Okay, now you've got me curious.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
For e-book readers the book is available at Amazon for less than $10. If you haven't read the book, it offers some insight into Auriemma's coaching philosophy, his relationships with his players and it gives the reader a glimpse at the insecurities of the immigrant kid from Philly. All from his perspective of course. ;)

If I have a criticism it is that it was written too soon.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I do not know about Snow but I'm not evil just a little devilish.

Good gracious, Ice, given your profession, I would certainly hope you aren't evil!

Reaction Score
I liked that book. He wrote it after 20 years of coaching so it wasn't too soon.
I bet there'll be another when he retires.

Reaction Score
Yes it was a good book. If I recall correctly, there were several errors in the book -- including the spelling of the Villanova coach's name!

Good catch and certainly factual, though not the misstated fact to which I was referring.

Reaction Score
Okay, now you've got me curious.

OK, if you read/have read the book, they are discussing the last ten seconds of the national championship game and what is going through Coach Auriemma's mind as to how to proceed with a four point lead. A glaring fact is misstated here on the execution of the play upon which Coach Auriemma eventually decided. One would imagine that any number of UConn fans have replayed that game in their minds countless times. What happened after the timeout at 10 seconds that is glaringly different from what is written in the book?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I do not know about Snow but I'm not evil just a little devilish.

I have willingly forgotten about this Snow too....she wore orange and a headband.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think Auriemma agrees with you. From what he wrote about Snow in his book she's not one of his favorite players.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Yikes!!! What the heck are you guys doing???? Have you lost your minds [again]???? UConn’s trying to recruit a terrific kid from Canada!
-

-OK, OK, Kia Nurse, if you’re out there, please, please listen… We love snow here! We lo, We even tolerate Ice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom