Who's the QB this Year and In the 2-4 Years Following? | The Boneyard

Who's the QB this Year and In the 2-4 Years Following?

Reaction Score
A question for those who closely follow the signees: any feel for who the QB of the near future is since it looks like we signed a few of them? Any chance anyone other than Sheriffs is QB this year?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
A question for those who closely follow the signees: any feel for who the QB of the near future is since it looks like we signed a few of them? Any chance anyone other than Sheriffs is QB this year?

Pindell is a JUCO transfer and seems like he will be competing and hopefully winning the starting position. He has 2 years of eligibility left.

Washington and McAfee will likely redshirt this year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Pindell is a JUCO transfer and seems like he will be competing and hopefully winning the starting position. He has 2 years of eligibility left.
Competing with Shirreffs & Williams? Who else is on the depth chart?

Reaction Score
My guess...

2017--Pindell, but Sheriffs is absolutely in the hunt this Spring
2018--Pindell
2019--Donovan Williams (RS Jr) and Marvin Washington (RS So) will be an interesting QB competition

Who knows what will happen with staff/recruits 3-4 years down the road, but I think we are setting ourselves up for some great years of football at the QB position.

Reaction Score
Agree, hopefully Pindell for next 2 and someone after that, whomever emerges

Washington and McAfee will likely redshirt this year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My guess...

2018--Pindell
2019--Donovan Williams (RS Jr) and Marvin Washington (RS So) will be an interesting QB competition

Who knows what will happen with staff/recruits 3-4 years down the road, but I think we are setting ourselves up for some great years of football at the QB position.
Is it possible that Pindell could take a redshirt year? Or is he 2-and-out no matter what?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Pindell could take a redshirt year? Or is he 2-and-out no matter what?

Highly doubt he is coming in to redshirt. I think he plays next two years as starter.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one not ready to dump on BS?? I'm curious what Lashlee can get out of him and the receivers who know him.

Let's be honest, he had a few rough games, but he clearly got scapegoated by TheOriginalEnergyVampire and staff when they went panic mode. Shades of PP and GDL with Whitmer. Also, Geremy Davis comes to mind. All are cases of players with potential and proven ability clearly dragged down by pathetic leadership

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
On paper and based off highlights, it appears Pindall will/should have the upper hand. That being said, I would also like the staff to give BS a chance as well. Assuming Shireffs returns, it should be an entertaining battle heading into the season. While BS's talent as a QB may have limitations, he is till one of if not the best QB we've had in recent years. And no matter who wins that battle, we will have a capable backup.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My guess...

2018--Pindell

You left off McAfee. In 2018 there is a chance that one of the younger guys wows the staff and takes the job from Pindell. Williams won't be a RS Junior in 2019. He will be either a RS Sophomore or a Junior.

In 2019, McAfee, Washington or Williams of the guys on our roster now, but you never know. Some 4 star kid could transfer from another school. That article posted yesterday said about half the 4-5 star QBs will transfer at some point.

Reaction Score
McAfee looks like a bigger (slower?) version of Washington. I think in 2 years he and Washington will be battling for the starting job. I've been one of Shirreffs biggest defenders, not because he's great, but because he was our only viable option, and he was still an improvement over Boyle, Whitmer, and everyone else cleared to play.

That said, I think it's Pindell's job to lose. Only ----ing Diaco would bring in a JUCO QB who didn't even provide depth at QB and move him to FB (Anderson).

Pindell will have to put in the work, do/say the right things, but the plan is likely to start him this fall and have Shirreffs there as a backup. Redshirt every other QB that hasn't already.

If Washington or the Antivirus come in competing as true freshman, then they are incredible talents. I expect to see one of them in 2019.

Reaction Score
You left off McAfee. In 2018 there is a chance that one of the younger guys wows the staff and takes the job from Pindell. Williams won't be a RS Junior in 2019. He will be either a RS Sophomore or a Junior.

In 2019, McAfee, Washington or Williams of the guys on our roster now, but you never know. Some 4 star kid could transfer from another school. That article posted yesterday said about half the 4-5 star QBs will transfer at some point.

My bad about McAfee. I really think Pindell will be the real deal starting this season. He'll win the job and lock it up for 2018. 2019 is up in the air, but I think anyone on the roster now has the talent to take the spot. Of course you never know who we bring in 3 years from now.

As for Williams' eligibility, correct me if I'm wrong--2016 Fr, 2017 So/RSFr, 2018 Jr/RSSo, 2019 Sr/RSJr?

Reaction Score
Put it in perspective though, a JUCO kid with some options, a new staff and system, I have trouble believing they aren't thinking he is their guy while they develop a younger player. If they thought BS was their 1 year stop gap they would have focused elsewhere

Not to say there won't be an open competition, but I can't believe BS will win it

On paper and based off highlights, it appears Pindall will/should have the upper hand. That being said, I would also like the staff to give BS a chance as well. Assuming Shireffs returns, it should be an entertaining battle heading into the season. While BS's talent as a QB may have limitations, he is till one of if not the best QB we've had in recent years. And no matter who wins that battle, we will have a capable backup.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
McAfee looks like a bigger (slower?) version of Washington. I think in 2 years he and Washington will be battling for the starting job. I've been one of Shirreffs biggest defenders, not because he's great, but because he was our only viable option, and he was still an improvement over Boyle, Whitmer, and everyone else cleared to play.

That said, I think it's Pindell's job to lose. Only ----ing Diaco would bring in a JUCO QB who didn't even provide depth at QB and move him to FB (Anderson).

Pindell will have to put in the work, do/say the right things, but the plan is likely to start him this fall and have Shirreffs there as a backup. Redshirt every other QB that hasn't already.

If Washington or the Antivirus come in competing as true freshman, then they are incredible talents. I expect to see one of them in 2019.

That sounds right. I simply think we can't rule out that one of the younger guys beats out Pindell in 2018.

I also think the Red Shirt situation is interesting. I'd guess all three are redshirted, but any injury and that shirt likely gets burned. That's if Shireffs is back. If not, somebody isn't redshirting.

Reaction Score
This will start to shake out during spring ball in a few weeks and then will be pretty clear after pre-season camp.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This will start to shake out during spring ball in a few weeks and then will be pretty clear after pre-season camp.

Is Pindell enrolling now so he can participate in spring ball?

Reaction Score
>>Edsall shot down the notion that the addition of Pindell, or fellow quarterback recruits Washington or Jordan McAfee, could signal that last year’s primary starter, Bryant Shireffs, may be out of favor. “He’s here, he’s involved in the program, he’s working out,” Edsall said of Shireffs. “All that means is we have competition. The more that I can create competition at every position, the better our program will be. If guys know that each day they’ve got to go out there and earn that right to be on the field, I think that just makes everybody better.”<<

Reaction Score
Is Pindell enrolling now so he can participate in spring ball?
I'm not sure...I'm assuming he will finish out this semester at Lackawanna

Reaction Score
Whoever wins the job. There's going to be a hell of a competition in the spring and fall.

Reaction Score
They are all so athletic. I wonder if any will change positions

Reaction Score
My guess is one of Williams, Washington or McAfee ends up changing position. Edsall has had pretty good luck moving quarterbacks to receiver.

Reaction Score
I wanna see Pindell run the show... Let's see what Lashlee's system instills in our O going fwd... The horror show we've been through the last 6 years (with a few great moments sprinkled in... too few) needed to change...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure...I'm assuming he will finish out this semester at Lackawanna
That would really put him behind the 8-ball, considering he is a short-timer, eligibility-wise.

The semester is only 2 weeks old and unless things have changed so drastically, regular students can still exchange classes without it affecting their transcript. So with an adviser's help (not in short supply for the football team), he'd be able to enroll in classes and even participate via the Internet until he gets on campus.

Not saying you are wrong, by the way. Just that there exists a possibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom