Who's our regional 2 seed? | The Boneyard

Who's our regional 2 seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If the NCAA goes geographically, who is our #2 seed? Making assumption here that the 4 #2's are Tn, Duke, MD, and DE.

I could make a case for wanting to beat MD, Tn and Duke since we haven't faced them yet, but that's just emotional. No other male coach to swing one of them over into the region either.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
To answer your question, you first have to rank your projected #2 seeds. I have them ranked in order Maryland, Duke, Tenn and Delaware. The committee does rank all the teams using the S Curve.

Then the teams are placed in their region by Geographic in the order they were placed by the S Curve. Maryland is placed in their bracket first followed by the remaining # 2 seeds in order. They are sent to the closest region. However, you have to remember once a region is selected its not available to another 2 seed to be sent there. Maryland goes to Raleigh, Duke goes to Kingston, Tenn to Des Moines and Delaware to Fresno. So even though, Duke is closer to Raleigh then Maryland is, Maryland gets Raleigh because they were placed in the bracket first.

If Duke ends up as the highest #2 seed, then they go to Raleigh and Maryland goes to Kingston. The same would happen with Tenn and Delaware, just reverse the locations where the teams are sent.

Just for the heck of it, if the #2 seeds were ranked Tenn, Maryland, Duke, Delaware. Tenn would go to Raleigh, Maryland to Kingston, Duke to Des Moines and Delaware to Fresno.

BTW its 831 miles from Knoxville to Des Moines and 865 miles from Knoxville to Kingston RI. If the committee goes strictly by the rules then there is no way the Tenn should be sent to Kingston RI, regardless of how you rank the teams. If Tenn is ranked #1 of the #2 seeds, they go to Raleigh. If #2 they go to Des Moines. IF #3 they go to Des Moines and if #4 they go to Fresno. This is based on the teams you have as your #2 seeds.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yep - great analysis. And they do seem to be sticklers since they announced the geographic seedings.

Reaction Score
"BTW it's 831 miles from Knoxville to Des Moines and 865 miles from Knoxville to Kingston RI."

That's ridiculous. I don't believe a 34 mile differential is even a hill of beans in this calculation.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If the NCAA goes geographically, who is our #2 seed? Making assumption here that the 4 #2's are Tn, Duke, MD, and DE.

I could make a case for wanting to beat MD, Tn and Duke since we haven't faced them yet, but that's just emotional. No other male coach to swing one of them over into the region either.

How soon we forget! We already played Duke, at their place.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I did say if the Committee strictly followed their rules. The computer program they use would automatically place Tenn in Des Moines, so committee members would have to override the computer selection and manually place Tenn in Kingston if Tenn were to be selected as the #2 ranked 2 seed. Supposedly the committee are not looking at the names of the schools, only placing them in the closest regional unless their are other rules that would prevent a team from placement in the regional.

"BTW its 831 miles from Knoxville to Des Moines and 865 miles from Knoxville to Kingston RI."

I don't believe a 34 mile differential is even a hill of beans in this calculation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know Maryland won the ACC tourney, and we lost to NC state in the quarters..... but I believe the regular season should be given more weight then 3 days in Greensboro. Duke finished 15-1, MD was 12-4. Duke went 2-1 vs Miami and MD, while MD went 1-3. If MD would have beaten both Miami and Duke for the title... then yeah... they would have a case for a higher 2 seed then Duke. But they didnt.

Reaction Score
I did say if the Committee strictly followed their rules. The computer program they use would automatically place Tenn in Des Moines, so committee members would have to override the computer selection and manually place Tenn in Kingston if Tenn were to be selected as the #2 ranked 2 seed...

If your scenario is true, then the NCAA ought to fire their programmers and get somebody in there who understands the principles of fuzzy logic. Fuzzy logic (a mathematical discipline, not a taunt) would demand that no decision be made based on such a slender reed.

By the way, fuzzy logic has been a branch of mathematics for over 40 years, so it ain't exactly newfangled.

Reaction Score
My odds:

43% Maryland
37% Duke
8% Delaware
5% Tenn
4% Miami
3% Other

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
To answer your question, you first have to rank your projected #2 seeds. I have them ranked in order Maryland, Duke, Tenn and Delaware. The committee does rank all the teams using the S Curve.

Then the teams are placed in their region by Geographic in the order they were placed by the S Curve. Maryland is placed in their bracket first followed by the remaining # 2 seeds in order. They are sent to the closest region. However, you have to remember once a region is selected its not available to another 2 seed to be sent there. Maryland goes to Raleigh, Duke goes to Kingston, Tenn to Des Moines and Delaware to Fresno. So even though, Duke is closer to Raleigh then Maryland is, Maryland gets Raleigh because they were placed in the bracket first.

If Duke ends up as the highest #2 seed, then they go to Raleigh and Maryland goes to Kingston. The same would happen with Tenn and Delaware, just reverse the locations where the teams are sent.

Just for the heck of it, if the #2 seeds were ranked Tenn, Maryland, Duke, Delaware. Tenn would go to Raleigh, Maryland to Kingston, Duke to Des Moines and Delaware to Fresno.

BTW its 831 miles from Knoxville to Des Moines and 865 miles from Knoxville to Kingston RI. If the committee goes strictly by the rules then there is no way the Tenn should be sent to Kingston RI, regardless of how you rank the teams. If Tenn is ranked #1 of the #2 seeds, they go to Raleigh. If #2 they go to Des Moines. IF #3 they go to Des Moines and if #4 they go to Fresno. This is based on the teams you have as your #2 seeds.
Thanks, it's a little confusing adding the geography in there but needed to sell more tickets I guess. So highest chance of MD but it is dependent on how they rank the 4 and if all 4 make it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I did say if the Committee strictly followed their rules. The computer program they use would automatically place Tenn in Des Moines, so committee members would have to override the computer selection and manually place Tenn in Kingston if Tenn were to be selected as the #2 ranked 2 seed. Supposedly the committee are not looking at the names of the schools, only placing them in the closest regional unless their are other rules that would prevent a team from placement in the regional.

TV talking head to Committee Chair: "Why did you put Tennessee in Kingston when its farther away than Des Moines?" "Good question, talking head! Well, during our meeting we passed a new rule where we average the distance to our regions against the averaged home town location of each player on all teams, and low and behold it turned out that Glory Johnson's home town pushed UT into Kingston! "

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The committee does place a priority on location.

I don't believe the committee will treat a 31 mile difference as material; I think they will consider those distances as virtually identical.

However, they do consider time zones, and TN -> Iowa is the same time zero TN -> is a different time zone, while MD or Duke -> RI is the same time zone but is a different time zone to Iowa.

One time zone isn't a big deal, but I bet it carries more weight than 231 miles.

I once put together a seeding plan and distinguished between:
  1. Short bus ride
  2. Long bus ride
  3. Short plane ride
  4. Long plane ride

I don't think a difference of 31 should make much difference, it is only when it changes a trip by a couple hours, or changes from bus to plane.

Reaction Score
The committee does place a priority on location.

I don't believe the committee will treat a 31 mile difference as material; I think they will consider those distances as virtually identical.

However, they do consider time zones, and TN -> Iowa is the same time zero TN -> is a different time zone, while MD or Duke -> RI is the same time zone but is a different time zone to Iowa.

One time zone isn't a big deal, but I bet it carries more weight than 231 miles.

I once put together a seeding plan and distinguished between:
  1. Short bus ride
  2. Long bus ride
  3. Short plane ride
  4. Long plane ride
I don't think a difference of 31 should make much difference, it is only when it changes a trip by a couple hours, or changes from bus to plane.

Reaction Score
This is where common sense is thrown out the window.

Who do you think would draw more fans to Kingston? A Delaware program making a once in a lifetime historic run? Or notoriously bad traveling Duke? Duke would bring as many fans to Kingston as they would to Fresno, which is very little. So your going to stick Delaware all the way out to Fresno where very few of their fans would be able to make that trip? Your going to give Stanford the easiest path to the Final 4...again?

To say this system has flaws is an understatement.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know Maryland won the ACC tourney, and we lost to NC state in the quarters..... but I believe the regular season should be given more weight then 3 days in Greensboro. Duke finished 15-1, MD was 12-4. Duke went 2-1 vs Miami and MD, while MD went 1-3. If MD would have beaten both Miami and Duke for the title... then yeah... they would have a case for a higher 2 seed then Duke. But they didnt.

Why Triad, that was a cogent, lucid and articulate argument.

PS. Police never offer a comb apparently.

120310110506-michael-madsen-mugshot-story-top.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't really believe that Delaware will be a #2 Seed; if by some miracle it should happen, please put them in Kingston. My gut tells me that Maryland in all likelyhood will be the 2 Seed in UCONN'S Region, and thats just fine with me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't really believe that Delaware will be a #2 Seed; if by some miracle it should happen, please put them in Kingston. My gut tells me that Maryland in all likelyhood will be the 2 Seed in UCONN'S Region, and thats just fine with me.

Well, they are ranked #5 and they did beat Duke by 2 points on Feb. 19, so if the Committee thinks we are the 4 to their 5, your gut may be just fine.

Reaction Score
I can't believe the committee would rank MD above Duke. If they follow their own
rules then we should get Maryland.

Put Kelly on Thomas and I like our chances.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can't believe the committee would rank MD above Duke. If they follow their own
rules then we should get Maryland.

Put Kelly on Thomas and I like our chances.

Do you think she can handle Thomas by herself?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've seen comments that Pat doesn't want to play UCONN because she knows that she can't beat the Huskies. I want to see this theory put to the test.

Reaction Score
Do you think she can handle Thomas by herself?

I think she would do as well as anyone. I don't think Geno would double Thomas
unless she really starts to go off. Maryland hasn't seen the kind of defense that UConn
will bring. I don't see this game as a nail biter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom