Who's More Important..... | The Boneyard

Who's More Important.....

Reaction Score
Had so much fun watching the team last night. Sure it's a 1-game sample size against CCSU, but it's crystal clear we've got a TEAM here that I'm betting won't lose a game by double-digits the entire year; they're simply too versatile, deep, and FINALLY have a high level of senior leadership/talent.

It's also clear (after one game, I know) that Sanogo will be getting double-teamed the entire year and RJ Cole will most likely see the opposing team's best defender. With that said, who's the most important (i.e. game-changer) to the team after these two? In another sense, who would be the greatest loss to the team if you plucked them from the roster?
  • Isaiah (defensive anchor, experience, #1 backup to Sanogo if he sees foul trouble).
  • Tyrese (SOLID glue guy, strength, toughness, experience, two-way player.
  • Andre (elite on-ball defense, athleticism, offensive awareness)
IMO, it's Tyrese. This team will go as he goes.

Reaction Score
I think I said to myself a half dozen times that rj playing like he did is a game changer. The offense looks so much better when the ball moves AND he is making shots. I think we go as far as Andre takes us based upon the premise that teams will key in to take RJ out of the game. Someone needs to feed Adama! So my answer is Andre.

Reaction Score
I think I said to myself a half dozen times that rj playing like he did is a game changer. The offense looks so much better when the ball moves AND he is making shots. I think we go as far as Andre takes us based upon the premise that teams will key in to take RJ out of the game. Someone needs to feed Adama! So my answer is Andre.
I don't disagree that Andre is an integral part to the team, that's a given. I just feel Tyrese is more dynamic on offense whereas Andre can be a little one-dimensional until he develops a consistent jump shot.

Close call between the 3 I listed but gotta stick with Tyrese here.

Reaction Score
Really think Tyrese is the unsung hero of the game yesterday. If he can continue to finish at the rim it's a huge plus for this team. Throw on top of it is ability to rebound. Love what I saw from him yesterday.
Agree he played great....did he improve at the rim that much or is it just the competition? Atlantis will be a better indicator

Reaction Score
Atlantis will be the bell weather for a talent check.

Winning the first one will mean a quality win. After that, win 1 more win at Atlantis and that would be a good result.

Losing the first one and winning one more would not be as significant assuming MSU wins its first game against Loyola of Chicago. All the teams are good, but would be nice to win against the best of the field.

Reaction Score

Winning the first one will mean a quality win. After that, win 1 more win at Atlantis and that would be a good result.

Losing the first one and winning one more would not be as significant assuming MSU wins its first game against Loyola of Chicago. All the teams are good, but would be nice to win against the best of the field.
I just want to see us go 3-0 and watch the hype-train go nuts. Seriously though, based on Hurley’s press conference he seems to genuinely believe this team is better than last year’s… and he’s a very critical person, so that holds a lot of weight for me

Reaction Score

Agreed. The cool thing about this field is that the absolute worst case scenario would be 2 losses to top-30ish teams and a loss to a top 100 team. I know that sounds horrible, but it's a lot better than playing Chaminade, for example, where a win does nothing for you and a loss is devastating.

Reaction Score
Andre, raises our ceiling.
Yes he does but lets not overlook Akok. He quietly put up a solid 8/7/3 off the bench and looked healthy although a bit rusty. I love that he defended, blocked shots, posted up, had put backs and hit a 3. Just needed to see a dribble drive and he wouldve had an all round night. I think people are forgetting the huge upside he has. He could break out this year and if he does we become a serious problem for the rest of the conference more than we already are.

Reaction Score
I just want to see us go 3-0 and watch the hype-train go nuts. Seriously though, based on Hurley’s press conference he seems to genuinely believe this team is better than last year’s… and he’s a very critical person, so that holds a lot of weight for me
This team is not only better than last years but it my be our best team since the Hungry Huskies.

Reaction Score
We haven’t seen Hawkins play yet. His shooting could be critical for us and I wouldn’t be surprised at the end of the season if he’s one of our most valuable pieces as well.
I think by Feb that our starting 5 is going to be Tmart, Akok, Sanogo, Hawk and Cole. This lineup can shoot, rebound, block shots, drive, post up and run.

Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney is going to have a big impact on this season if he can up his scoring output. But Andre J becoming a scorer with hopefully an ability to hit 3's will be a gamechanger. His passing ability as well as his defense at his height is hard to counter for opponents.

Reaction Score
I've been daydreaming about him guarding Gillespie. I hope he has been, too.
Pressure on Gillespie because his draft value at least to some extent, will depend on whether he can score and operate against an athletic , taller defender.

The NBA has plenty of those types.

Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney is going to have a big impact on this season if he can up his scoring output.
I simply dont understand how JG is not one of our best players. He flashes talent but then just disappears. I really dont get him at all. If he shows up this season, awesome but ive moved on from getting excited about him. Ive been let down enough the last two years.

Reaction Score
Pressure on Gillespie because his draft value at least to some extent, will depend on whether he can score and operate against an athletic , taller defender.

The NBA has plenty of those types.
Gillespie isnt playing in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Maybe not.

But if he is considered by some team as a a second rounder, his ability to shake a defender will come into play.

Reaction Score
I simply dont understand how JG is not one of our best players. He flashes talent but then just disappears. I really dont get him at all. If he shows up this season, awesome but ive moved on from getting excited about him. Ive been let down enough the last two years.
I think it's a testament to just how much talent this team has. JG is a top 3 player on many division 1 schools, just not at UConn. He has to develop his playmaking a bit more on the offensive end. Akok, Hawkins, AJ, and even Diggins to an extent (once he adjusts to the pace of the game) will provide ample scoring off the bench. JG doesn't have to force shots off the bench. Once he grasps his role as a playmaker and takes care of the ball he'll shine more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom