Who's coming and Who's going? | The Boneyard

Who's coming and Who's going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn is losing the following players to graduation; Tom Comunale -G, Jacob Poe - D, Brad Smith - Forward, Ryan Tyson - Forward, Trevor Gerling - Forward, and Corey Sharib - Forward. Poe, Tyson, Gerling, and Sharib are going to be big loses in my opinion.

Based on what I can tell, UConn has the following players coming in for next season;
Tanner Creel - G
Tyson McLellan - C Waterloo Blackhawks Gp 26, Goals 4, Assists 5
Marco Richter - LW Madison Capitols Gp 35, Goals 8, Assists 4
Karl El-Mir - LW Grande Pairie Storm Gp 42, Goals 11, Assists 8
Brendan Shane - C Nanaimo Clippers Gp 28, Goals 3, Assists 4

Anyone know if we have anybody else scheduled to come in for next season? Based on what I have seen this season, one area that needs to be improved is the mobility and overall speed of the defense. We struggled breaking the puck out of our own zone alot this season. I believe part of the reason we struggled is because the defense is slow. Anybody else see anything differently?

Overall though, it has been a really enjoyable season from a fan standpoint.

Reaction Score
Missing a few I think (Tage Thompson & Miles Gendron) - This article was just before Creel committed: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-uconn-hockey-1223-20141222-story.html#page=1

>>Seven recruits have committed, with six scheduled to join the program next season. Next year's freshman class, as it stands now, is right wing Tage Thompson, center Miles Gendron, left wing Marco Richter, left wing Carl El-Mir, right wing Tyson McLellan and right wing Ben Freeman, who might end up as part of the 2016-17 class. UConn averages 1.73 goals a game, 55th out of 59 Division I teams. The aforementioned players, particularly Thompson and Gendron, will be expected to immediately breathe life into the offense.<<

Some other info here...http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/official-mens-hockey-recruiting-thread.12419/page-6

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brendan Shane is no longer committed. I do not think Anthony Siderio is but not 100% sure.

Connor Judson is committed to Connecticut College, NOT UConn.

Ben Freeman will probably go to Juniors next season.

You're missing:

Miles Gendron: (D) 2014 3rd Round Pick of Ottawa Senators. Currently playing with Penicton Veers of BCHL

Tage Thompson: (F) Currently playing with the U.S. U-18 National Team. Playing with some of the best young talent U.S. has to offer.

Both are arguably the best recruits UConn has been able to bring in. The type of recruits Cavanaugh wants and needs to bring in to compete with the top of Hockey East.

Both could be and need to be major building blocks.

Thompson is a major key to the growth of the offense in upcoming seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony‏@ManthonyCourant 5m5 minutes ago

UConn hockey: 6 srs leaving. Incoming frshmn class of 5. Recruiting starts now (last night). Expect changes. Class will grow.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony‏@ManthonyCourant 4m4 minutes ago

Known Cavanaugh 2 yrs. After talk today about past/pres/future and seeing him operate, have to say @UConnMHOC is heading toward big things.

Reaction Score
@ManthonyCourant Does staff expect any underclassmen to leave?

Mike Anthony ‏@ManthonyCourant
25m25 minutes ago Boston, MA

@huskyhockey24 Yes(my opinion)Cav's words:"Not cutting anybody.But I will lay out:hey this what u have to do to play. I will be very honest.

Ryan Tyson is a huge loss @UConnMHOC. Gerling too,Others too. Still, evolution of prgrm takes step now, more talentd players come every yr

Reaction Score
Besides the 6 seniors graduating who are you predicting is going to get cut?

Reaction Score
@ManthonyCourant Does staff expect any underclassmen to leave?

Mike Anthony ‏@ManthonyCourant
25m25 minutes ago Boston, MA

@huskyhockey24 Yes(my opinion)Cav's words:"Not cutting anybody.But I will lay out:hey this what u have to do to play. I will be very honest.

Ryan Tyson is a huge loss @UConnMHOC. Gerling too,Others too. Still, evolution of prgrm takes step now, more talentd players come every yr
I think Tysons one goal, lack of speed, sub-par faceoff winning percentage and minutes centering the 3rd or 4th line on a team ranked 55 out of 59 offensively in the country can be replaced very,very,very easily. A huge loss????

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The expectation should be that the guys we bring in over the next 4 years are more talented in general, just looking at the fact that there will be more scholarship players versus non-scholarship and we're recruiting as a HE school.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe any of the juniors will leave or be asked to leave. Its more likely to be a freshman or sophomore.

I think Tysons one goal, lack of speed, sub-par faceoff winning percentage and minutes centering the 3rd or 4th line on a team ranked 55 out of 59 offensively in the country can be replaced very,very,very easily. A huge loss????

Yes, there are more talented players than Tyson. However, he is a hugely respected guy in the locker room and a max effort guy. Cavanaugh mentioned him as one of the best captains he has been around. That is saying a lot considering he was an assistant at BC for 18 years and won 4 national titles.

Not every player's worth is measured with statistics.

Reaction Score
Huson,Kirtland and Ferris?

Kirtland is important for our PK and Ferriss is inconsequential but Huson on the other hand is 1/6 of our defensive corps, much more responsibility to be consistent and he is not. This Cav comment could also extend to Norris who too was very unreliable defensively especially in our own zone.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe any of the juniors will leave or be asked to leave. Its more likely to be a freshman or sophomore.

Yes, there are more talented players than Tyson. However, he is a hugely respected guy in the locker room and a max effort guy. Cavanaugh mentioned him as one of the best captains he has been around. That is saying a lot considering he was an assistant at BC for 18 years and won 4 national titles.

Not every player's worth is measured with statistics.
Kirtland is important for our PK and Ferriss is inconsequential but Huson on the other hand is 1/6 of our defensive corps, much more responsibility to be consistent and he is not. This Cav comment could also extend to Norris who too was very unreliable defensively especially in our own zone.
Im pretty sure one of the existing freshman will be more than capable to play on the PK next year to take Kirtlands spot. Lets face it you cannot hide slow 25 year old seniors on your roster any more like we use to do in the old days in Atlantic Hockey even on a teams 3rd or 4th line. You saw what it looked like this year and it wasnt pretty. Besides its not fair to the player himself when he is getting embarrassed on the ice like that.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh/ UConn have no choice but to upgrade the speed of the defense. The lack of speed killed the team. Couln't get to loose pucks in our own end and struggled to move the puck out of our own zone. That has got to be a priorty for the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh/ UConn have no choice but to upgrade the speed of the defense. The lack of speed killed the team. Couln't get to loose pucks in our own end and struggled to move the puck out of our own zone. That has got to be a priorty for the coaching staff.
Poe is gone by virtue of graduation. Huson to put it mildly is not a fan favorite of the XL Center crowd thats for sure (at least the 4 games i attend there he wasnt). I think two more freshman are coming in next year?? If you notice it i got to believe the UCONN coaches notice it too.

Reaction Score
He left Army after his freshman year last season. Playing for Odessa currently.

Anthony's list is right.

Reaction Score
Just sharing (conflicts w/ the current #5 incoming mentioned by Anthony):

TheUConnBlog 4:57pm via SB Nation
A Look at UConn's Expected Freshman Class for 2015-16 #IceBus
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/3/...ruiting-a-look-at-the-expected-freshman-class

Creel - ?not a frosh - transfer from Army?

Gendron
Thompson
McLellen
Richter
El-Mir

Tim_Fontenault 1:30pm via TweetDeck
Confirmed: Despite still being listed everywhere as committed to UConn, Brendan Shane and Anthony Siderio will not be attending UConn.

Reaction Score
Was Freeman recruited by Cav and if so what is the ETA on him arriving; 15-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom