Who would you start? | The Boneyard

Who would you start?

Reaction Score
I think I would go with Carlton, Whaley, Wilson, Adams and Gilbert.

Vital would be first off the bench. Since we are not getting offense with Polley, he sits until a proper mismatch is put in by the opposing coach. Cobb would relieve at the 4 or 5 depending on fouls. Smith would relieve Adams or Gilbert. Brendan Adams would get experience in games that allowed it.

I don't intend this as a criticism of Hurley. He has not been dealt a good hand. He's doing well. He is looking far beyond this year while still trying to win.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I want to root for Sid , I like him and he has some really intriguing tools, but right now Kwintin would be an upgrade over his minutes. He’s not been good. At all.

Reaction Score
It does not matter who we start because the talent that we have is inadequate. These players are what they are no matter who starts or who subs. I think it will be year 3 for Hurley IF he can get some big men, otherwise he won’t get it done. The best coaches in college still have to have talent and as long as Hurley gets it we will be fine.

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Vital, Adams, Whaley, Carlton. The first 3 are a given as they make up pretty much our whole offense. Whaley isn’t the most talented but he knows where to be on the court. His IQ is decent and gives us SOME size at the 4. Carlton, as frustrating as he is, is the best option at the 5. Isn’t aggressive, can’t jump, can’t rebound, can barely catch the ball but plays respectable defense and gives us a few buckets a game. Off the bench I’d have Wilson, Smith, Cobb, Polley in that order.

Reaction Score
Who starts is irrelevant. It simply doesn't matter. There are just not enough answers on this team. Adams and Gilbert are the only ones that have the talent and even they have flaws with BBIQ and critical in game decision making. Sid has athletic ability but is several years of development away from being a major contributor. The rest are just too limted in too many areas to be diffence makers at this level.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need defense in the paint. Yakwe would be ideal, word is that his injury isn’t that bad and he may return soon. Final 10 minutes of the Florida state game when we had Yakwe in the game was our best defensive effort of the season. Of course this does nothing for us long term. Need Wahab and a defensive minded forward on the transfer market, BAD.

Reaction Score
We are small and guard oriented with not much else (outside of Polley).

I know this is a crazy proposal, but any thought of starting Adams, Gilbert, Polley, Carlton and Cobb? Especially against smaller teams?

Reaction Score
Starting Sid at the 3 is a non starter when all u do is jack up 3's against a zone. This what happens when you have zero power forwards and 2 earthbound centers who can't protect the rim on your roster. Forced to play small ball basically. Would help if our small guards would not allow so much dribble penetration. It's like a layup line at times with the bad on ball defense and lack of shot blockers.

Reaction Score
We need defense in the paint. Yakwe would be ideal, word is that his injury isn’t that bad and he may return soon. Final 10 minutes of the Florida state game when we had Yakwe in the game was our best defensive effort of the season. Of course this does nothing for us long term. Need Wahab and a defensive minded forward on the transfer market, BAD.
I agree the Yakwe was a huge lose because his type of defender is necessary to what we want to do.
Carlton simply is not athletic enough to cover missed gambles.
Carlton battles but is not there yet.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Small ball ain't working.
I hate the 3 and 4 guard offenses. I know, I know, "our bigs stink, how can you play them?" How can you play 4 guards when repeatedly teams are beating us inside? Second half with a lead, 4 guards is fine. Otherwise, I want more size on the floor than that.

Reaction Score
This is kind of pointless. The answers just aren't there with this team. We need to be patient and give Hurley at least 2 years to recruit some more talent and coach the guys he's brought in. If we suck like this in 2-3 years then I'll start to panic.

Reaction Score
This is kind of pointless. The answers just aren't there with this team. We need to be patient and give Hurley at least 2 years to recruit some more talent and coach the guys he's brought in. If we suck like this in 2-3 years then I'll start to panic.

Exactly what I’m thinking. I expected a grittier team this season but I’m not even close to panic mode. Let Hurley bring in the guys he knows will fit his style of play and culture. Then we can thoroughly judge his coaching

Reaction Score
Unless Jalen Adams starts becoming the alpha dog from tip this team is going nowhere. There just isn't enough talent on the court for making up if Jalen doesn't try to score. I hated his passive attitude for most of the first half. He needs to want to dominate for his Sr. year. Jalen needs to score close to 25 points every game if we our going to expect to win every game we play.

Reaction Score
Size and being tall are 2 different things when it comes to our team. There are just no frontcourt options. Polley and Sid are playing the 4 with swingmen bodies. Whaley is not at this level and Yakwe and Diarra are injured. Kwintin is not at this level and is suspended. Can't play Cobb and Carlton at same time. Too slow defensively and foul trouble would rack up. Just no options at all. You can't conjure solutions where there are none. Between injuries and the hot steamer Ollie left us with, it is what it is. As frustrating as it is we need patience. Gonna take a couple years. My only worry is we are so bad that we can't attract the talent needed, especially in the frontcourt. Being bad is one thing. Being bad in this conference is another.

Reaction Score
Size and being tall are 2 different things when it comes to our team. There are just no frontcourt options. Polley and Sid are playing the 4 with swingmen bodies. Whaley is not at this level and Yakwe and Diarra are injured. Kwintin is not at this level and is suspended. Can't play Cobb and Carlton at same time. Too slow defensively and foul trouble would rack up. Just no options at all. You can't conjure solutions where there are none. Between injuries and the hot steamer Ollie left us with, it is what it is. As frustrating as it is we need patience. Gonna take a couple years. My only worry is we are so bad that we can't attract the talent needed, especially in the frontcourt. Being bad is one thing. Being bad in this conference is another.
I think Akok is a start. If we miss on Wahab then I hope we go the JUCO route for a bruiser inside who can score and defend a little.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I hate the 3 and 4 guard offenses. I know, I know, "our bigs stink, how can you play them?" How can you play 4 guards when repeatedly teams are beating us inside? Second half with a lead, 4 guards is fine. Otherwise, I want more size on the floor than that.
'I want more size on the floor than that.' you been coachin my gf? she mumbled something that sounded like that just the other day, after seeing her so called 'doctor.' hmmm.

Reaction Score

You might want to consider starting slowly now and getting ahead of the curve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom