Who will surprise us the most? | The Boneyard

Who will surprise us the most?

Reaction Score
Which player will surprise you most and why?
There doesn't need to be a concrete reason for why you're choosing who you choose.
It can be a gut feeling, or it can be metric based. I don't care

I think everybody has a chance to really make a step up this year, but the person I'm voting for is Singare.

His attitude is infectious. He is one of the more popular guys on the team. And he's learned under 2 of the best centers in college ball and the best big men coaches in the league.

We've never been truly "surprised" by anybody this staff recruits and retains, but the term is convenient.

Also can't wait to see Ross in the rotation.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Ross he looked ready last year at least offensively. He can handle the ball and I think he is an above average shooter. He has exceptional positional size. I could see any number of “small” lineup rotation given the situation.

Diarra/Mahaney
Ross
McNeeley
Stewart
Karaban

They will now have interchangeable pieces pretty much throughout their whole lineup.

Reaction Score
I think the guy who is going to surprise us the most is Ahmad Nowell. With all of the things that have happened since his commitment last year, particularly with McNeely in addition to Reed and Mahaney as well as how deep our backcourt looks again, I think many have forgotten just how much of a baller this young man is.

I believe he will play above his ranking and force his way onto the court as the year progresses. He has that Hurley balls out, fearless leader mentality that we are all going to fall in love with... and so will Dan.

Reaction Score
Solo and Samson.
Solo showed at times what he is capable of doing and I think he will step up his game.
Samson has learned and improved a lot in successive years and I really think he knows that he needs to stay on the floor and I expect much better numbers offensively and defensively from him.

Reaction Score
Jaylin is the easy answer. It would probably, unfairly or not, be more surprising if he doesn’t make a nice jump.

Best for the team would be Tarris.

I’m not sure if surprise is the right word, but I really can’t wait to watch Aidan as a part of this offense. He’s had good numbers and contributed to winning teams, but as a piece on this team, he could be really special.

Reaction Score
Ross he looked ready last year at least offensively. He can handle the ball and I think he is an above average shooter. He has exceptional positional size. I could see any number of “small” lineup rotation given the situation.

Diarra/Mahaney
Ross
McNeeley
Stewart
Karaban

They will now have interchangeable pieces pretty much throughout their whole lineup.

Ross certainly has a "look" to him. But he was "ready" last year? I know it was garbage time and infrequent but he shot 27/09/40 last year in his limited minutes. I'm not ready to write him off obviously and will assume he'll make a jump but "ready" is not the term I'd use.

Reaction Score
Out of the returning players I will go with Stewart. Also think both the transfers will surprise. Hurley has a great hit percentage on transfers. Saying Mahaney isn't exactly going out on a limb but I get the feeling he will exceed expectations. Reed was targeted right from the get go as the big of choice. Maybe a few others had huge price tags and weren't fits from that standpoint but they made a beeline for him and made him an immediate priority. They clearly see some untapped potential there. I trust this staff implicitly so good enough for me. Throw in Samson's penchant for fouling and Reed's ability to stay away from fouling and his physicality for the Big East and there you have it.

Reaction Score
I think this team is at least 9 deep, meaning 9 strong rotation options: HD, Nowell, Aidan, Solo, Ian, Stewart, Alex, Reed, and Samson. However, my answer to the above question isn't one of those guys. My answer is a tie between Ross and Abraham. I agree that Ross has a nice look to him. He may be a victim of too much talent at the position (like Solo last year), but he looks the part. But Abraham? This dude looks solid at 18. If he can play defense the dude will play some minutes, if nothing else because we know that Samson will get in foul trouble plenty, which means that Alex will have to play the 5 tons to spare Reed. This team could have a solid 10 player rotation depending on foul trouble, matchup, and/or injuries. Nice!

Reaction Score
Lots of good thoughts here. Potentially - it could really be a few guys. What is most intriguing (to me) - is the fact that the staff truly believes ‘we have significant’ talent through the entire roster. (We’re loaded). For them to truly think that - should bring a smile to a fan’s face. 68-11… 2 consecutive NCs - and ‘they’ think ‘we are exceptionally talented on the entire roster? Wow. Young for sure - but ‘most or more talented top to bottom’? Maturity and leadership will play an enormous part in overall success. So… AK, Hass, Samson are critical to the confidence, development and integration. It should be fun to watch…

Reaction Score
Stewart - Easy answer. Just so much potential based on all of the ways he can contribute to the team. He'll have the biggest jump.

Nowell - Just too much in his DNA not to be the starting point guard. Maybe he won't start the year at that role, but he'll end the year.

Reed - Hurley and co. have such a success rate on their transfers. That being said, he doesn't have the upside of a Clingan, but he'll be a heck of a rock down low. Love how he pairs nicely w/ Samson...certain days one player will play more than the other and I love their matchup potential.

Ball - Something about him getting a full year under his belt. He had such a case of the yips last year...in 2024-25, I just see a much more controlled, poised and confident Ball. Even if he never starts for us this season, I see him as a heck of a weapon.

Reaction Score
I think our offensive scheme will fit Aidan like a glove and enhance his offensive output and I would not be surprised by that at all. I think Tarris and Liam will be better than advertised and I expect to be surprised by the significance of our sophomores and their second year jump. Nowell will surprise many people and will be pushing Hass all year-which is good for both of them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
McNeely - 1 and done - he is a bigger, more athletic version of Cam. Kid has the 3 pt shot, he has a midrange game and he can pass.
Nowell - he is T Brown on steroids - junkyard dog with sneaky finesse - kid gets to the hoop and is a great distributor
Stewart - if the coaches can get him to play a bit slower with the ball and patience in the half court offense he will be just fine. His athleticism is comparable to AJax with a better handle and offensive game.
AK - looking at him to be a more vocal on the court leader. May his 3 ball rip through the nets.

Reaction Score
I think our offensive scheme will fit Aidan like a glove and enhance his offensive output and I would not be surprised by that at all.
When I watched the VCU/Saint Mary's game in Albany during the 2023 NCAA Tournament, I was able to sneak down to a few rows from the floor. Mahaney was a major focus of my attention, especially after all the buzz on him that year.

Randy Bennett teams play with such intention on both ends of the floor (he's an amazing defensive coach) so it was very fun to watch Mahaney's creativity within that system.

He's a fearless kid and can create can anywhere in the backcourt, which aligns perfectly with your prognostication. I guess I'd describe Mahaney as a three-level creator.

Reaction Score
The biggest surprise, I think, will be how much the need for defense and rebounding alters our roster expectations. I see more time for Stewart, Ross and Abraham and less for McNeeley and even Karaban than most expect.

It's unfair, I know, to judge a player's defensive abilities by his play in an all-star game. but Liam simply did not show up at all, defensively, in the Jordan Brand Classic. He not only was beaten many times on defense, but every time. He not only grabbed no defensive rebounds but made no effort to do. His lack of aggressiveness was almost Polleyesque.

I know, he was MVP of the game, but I wonder if he would have been MVP on DH's ballot.

Karaban will get his minutes, of course, but Stewart stole a few minutes from Alex several times last year and I see that happening routinely this year (that is, unless Stewart starts at the 3 over McNeeley).

I just think that Alex and Liam at the corners leaves us vulnerable both defensively and on the boards Last year we had very aggressive, strong rebounding guards (Newton and Castle) to offset a lack of agility at the fore corners. And Spencer, although slow-footed, was an instinctive rebounder. I'm not sure we have that offset this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom