Who will Coach the 2018 USA SR Team

Who Will Coach the 2018 USA Sr Team

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who will be the coach of the SR Team for the 2018 World Championships.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good question. I think Geno would accept it if offered. The other options are Cheryl first and Dawn second. Both of them are as intense as Geno.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think they will go with a pro coach next to mix it up...Reeve would be the logical choice.

Reeve has coached championship teams. Dawn has not -- yet -- unless you count SEC.

Whomever is selected will be earmarked to coach 2020 Olympics, which likely rules Geno out.

Reaction Score
Good question. I think Geno would accept it if offered. The other options are Cheryl first and Dawn second. Both of them are as intense as Geno.

Of course he will be offered the HC job. But I don't think Geno would want to do it!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I haven't voted because I really don't know what Geno will do - after 2012 he was adamant that once was enough and it took a year for him to be convinced to come back. He has been a lot more silent on the subject this time around. While Sue and DT are likely done (though DT would definitely fight to come back one more time if Geno is the coach), I think he would find it intriguing and challenging to build a new back court - a legacy that he could leave for USA basketball. And the women's committee is following in the footsteps of the men's team - coach K was the first to get a second stint, and they brought him back for a third and final time, so I think the distaff side would want to do the same.

If not Geno, then Cheryl would be my first choice. I actually think Dawn wouldn't be my third choice either - Hughes or Agler would be higher than Dawn. I like Stephanie White, but I don't think she would want to take USA on at this point in her career - she is working to build a new college program and that is going to take a lot of focus over the next four years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Would Tara come back? She's pretty awesome and has a history of Olympic success.

On a somewhat related note, surely we're nearing the point that it's time for Nneka and Chiney to represent Team USA, right?

Reaction Score
I actually had exactly the same thought process as UcMiami. What made me changed my mind was the thought that without Bird and Taurasi, Geno would not want to do it. 4 years is a long time. Geno will be 66 and Dee 38.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would Tara come back? She's pretty awesome and has a history of Olympic success.

On a somewhat related note, surely we're nearing the point that it's time for Nneka and Chiney to represent Team USA, right?
I really think it will be a one or the other for Nneka and Chiney - they are two similar in what they would bring to the team with their 15' and in power games. USA thrives on versatility of their players outside of the center position, and neither is a center. Competition for those forward positions is fierce and isn't going to change with the constant replenishment from college ranks - the O sisters are competing with Parker, Stewart, EDD, Dupree, and Charles who are already veterans as well as some serious talent in college. Nneka with more experience as a pro has the inside track over her sister, and I expect her to make the team in the next four year cycle and in doing so in effect block her sister from selection.

Tara certainly has the talent, but I just get the sense that USA is no longer in her plans - she had her great run at the start of this streak, and going back to drink from that same well again ... nope.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Doug Collins said something pretty interesting during the Olympic championship game when he said (something to this effect) that "four years in the NBA" are like dog years. The grind of year-round basketball takes a disproportionate toll on body and concentration.

Translating that to the distaff side, I think USA Basketball will have a conversation with Gene A. about what he's thinking and feeling about doing this again, but I'd have to think that the goal is to have a coach that will be around for both 2018 WC and the 2020 Olympics. If he's up for it, "let's do it baby one more time." But if he thinks that 2-to-4 year stretch seems longer in the aforementioned "dog years" -- particularly if DT and SB are thinking of moving on/not up for it -- than maybe it's time to look for a successor.

I like the idea of Cheryl Reeve being the next HC. Given her time on the coaching staff this year and successful ongoing stint as coach of the WNBA champs Lynx, she has great insight into who has played well on the NT and what talent is ready to step up in 2018 or 2020. As we've all discussed, there's a bunch of players currently out there and coming into the pool.

(Like a few others, I think Steph White will have her hands full at Vandy for a few years...) but down the road, she'd be an excellent choice.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dillon77 - I don't think USA NT has ever had a 'two year cycle' coach - whoever they hire for the next coach (including if they get Geno back) will need to give them a four year commitment which is in reality just three years as they will not start the process for the world for another year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon77 - I don't think USA NT has ever had a 'two year cycle' coach - whoever they hire for the next coach (including if they get Geno back) will need to give them a four year commitment which is in reality just three years as they will not start the process for the world for another year.

Thanks for the clarification -- Totally with you and sorry if I didn't articulate that well enough in the first post. Whether it's Geno, Cheryl Reeve, etc., that consistency at the top is needed through both tournaments. Will be interesting to see how it plays out (at the very least, it will give us a lot to ponder/write about ;)).

As for this year, great job by the players, Geno and his staff and all others concerned. Remember when Geno made a reference to Jerry West and Gail Goodrich. When DT got warmed up on her 3's, I just kept imagining the three of them having a game of HORSE from beyond the arc and seriously wondering the outcome....

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Also - Coach K is being replaced by Popovich...so it would make sense to have a pro coach next.

But K also stayed for three Olympics, so there's hope yet...plus, even though Dee and Sue might be gone, he could have the chance to coach Moriah and Stewie again!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also - Coach K is being replaced by Popovich...so it would make sense to have a pro coach next.

But K also stayed for three Olympics, so there's hope yet...plus, even though Dee and Sue might be gone, he could have the chance to coach Moriah and Stewie again!
Yes, by 2020 he could be coaching Maya, Tina, Stewart, Moriah, Samuelson, and Stevens - we could watch heads explode from NC through TN, and across this great land! :eek::cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, by 2020 he could be coaching Maya, Tina, Stewart, Moriah, Samuelson, and Stevens - we could watch heads explode from NC through TN, and across this great land! :eek::cool:
I like that idea. I prefer SIX former Huskies to a mere FIVE. Yes, there will be lots of migraines in Durham and Knoxville. :D

Reaction Score
If Geno stays then Taurasi will be back and she wont have to fight for a spot. The other part that might keep Geno coaching is Popovich. They both have a lot of respect for each other and they have something in common. The No.1 NBA franchise and the No.1 WCBB program. If Geno does leave IMO Cheryl Reeves should be the coach.

Reaction Score
"Even if you are the coach, these players would be on the team." Geno's answer to the reporter when asked if there were too many UConn players on the NT. SB and Dee graduated from UConn 13-14 years ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Diana Taurasi will be the player/coach in 2018. :D

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think Diana Taurasi will be the player/coach in 2018. :D

...and the ref from Uzbekistan calls a technical foul on D during the opening ceremonies, just to get the right "atmosphere" rolling." ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom