Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season? | The Boneyard

Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season?

Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season?

• Angel Reese

Votes: 20 12.1%
  • Caitlin Clark

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • Paige Bueckers

Votes: 80 48.5%
  • Azzi Fudd

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Someone Else (Say Who)

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When ESPN & other networks are promoting WCBB for the 2023-24 season, which player will be most prominently featured in these promotions (i.e., the face of the game)?

Reaction Score
Paige and Caitlin to start. Angel is too "loved and hated."

Somebody else may emerge depending on how the player and team perform in the early, non-conference season. Azzi wont be the face as long as Paige is still around.

Cardosa will get a lot of ink if SC exceeds its rather modest projections.

I expect it to be Paige because I'm expecting a big season from UConn. Azzi wont be "the face" as long as Paige is still around.

Reaction Score

Somebody else may emerge depending on how the player and team perform in the early, non-conference season. Azzi wont be the face as long as Paige is still around.

I expect it to be Paige because I'm expecting a big season from UConn. Azzi wont be "the face" as long as Paige is still around.
Idk about the face of WCBB but I think Azzi will end up being the face of UConn this year. Paige will have a slow start-middle of the year returning from injury but with Nike and Paige around to deliver passes I think Azzi will have the breakout year she was on track for in the beginning of last season.

For WCBB it will definitely just be Clark and Reese, imo. Brink would be up there if she didn't play in the Pac 12 where no one can see their games.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be a great strategy for marketing WCBB by focusing on an individual or a very small group of individuals. Dominance is cool, but parity and increased player exposure has expanded the game. There was a time when really good players were barely known.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be a great strategy for marketing WCBB by focusing on an individual or a very small group of individuals. Dominance is cool, but parity and increased player exposure has expanded the game. There was a time when really good players were barely known.
Sports TV always focuses on star power.

Reaction Score

It's been happening forever.. Remember the 3 to see?

Reaction Score
All of the top three for different reasons. Caitlin is the returning superstar that is probably the most popular player that fans want to watch. Paige is very close and the obviously biggest comeback story in the country. And Angel will be the player who puts herself in the limelight with the stage of a defending national champion and her sometimes controversial behavior.

All three will get a ton of attention as the main individual storylines of the season.

Reaction Score
Sports TV always focuses on star power.
For sure. I just think that power has vastly expanded and that they should take advantage of it for the games' sake. A lot has changed in the past decade. Before last year I would have never invested money in subscribing to the PAC12 network, but the talent and player notoriety pulled me in. And then there was also the sleep investment. :)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Hmmmm, a gamecock fan who can't show a minimum of respect to one of his own team's stars… makes me wonder.

Her name is Kamilla Cardoso.

You're welcome.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I completely agree!! No need for me to add anything. You said the same thing I would have. :cool: Sifaka, normally I agree with your comments, but I'm not going to hold visitingcock's feet to the fire because he/she misspelled her name. I'm more interested in the gist of the comment. Cardoso has to become the face her HER TEAM BEFORE she can become the face of WCBB. That hasn't happened yet. So....the jury is still out on THAT verdict.

A healthy and mature Paige Bueckers can set WCBB on its ear this season if she can get on, and stay on the floor. She was ALL THAT and a bag of chips her freshman year. She is so much more than that now. I expect Paige to be down right nasty in her approach to playing the game, getting hers while making those around her better. She'll be fun to watch this year. I expect Caitlan to be Caitlan. I'm interested to see if anyone is able to contain her, or even slow her down.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Going with Angel. Defending national champ, and a personality that the media loves.
1689263626430.png

This is the picture ESPN chose to use to announce their list of LSU replacing UConn at #1 in its way-too-early top 25 list for the summer on its website. Any "real" WCBB fan knows who she is. She was all over SportsCenter and other TV sports programs right after the conclusion of the tournament. She's also been featured on several national TV commercials. If someone wanted to argue SHE is the face of WCBB (right now), it would be hard to make a case against her. :rolleyes: You're right hoops, the media loves her.

Reaction Score
It's been happening forever.. Remember the 3 to see?
Time for something new? In addition to what's been happening. Be more creative in the marketing is all I'm saying. There are a lot of interesting stories in a league this big. I look at Steph Curry and wonder how all the experts didn't see that coming. Things like that.

Reaction Score
Caitlin is the one everyone but UConn fans want to watch. UConn fans enjoy watching her but really want Paige to excel. Do you need to be on a National Championship team to be the face of Women’s Basketball? I think not. Reese is a good player on a winning team. After seeing Cardoso streak down the court while helping Brazil win the Americas tournament she could well be the most dominant center in WCBB this coming season. IMHO I see many faces for women’s basketball with Caitlin being the most electrifying.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Caitlin is the one everyone but UConn fans want to watch. UConn fans enjoy watching her but really want Paige to excel. Do you need to be on a National Championship team to be the face of Women’s Basketball? I think not. Reese is a good player on a winning team. After seeing Cardoso streak down the court while helping Brazil win the Americas tournament she could well be the most dominant center in WCBB this coming season. IMHO I see many faces for women’s basketball with Caitlin being the most electrifying.
Agreed. Lots of candidates out there this season. Let's see who grabs the brass ring. :cool:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would think Angel as LSU is the defending champion. And they were also considered a Cinderella championship team. And I am guessing that Kim will have another cupcake OOC, therefore being undefeated for most of the season will help.
Remember how long Arike was the face, so...

Carnac

Reaction Score
Idk about the face of WCBB but I think Azzi will end up being the face of UConn this year. Paige will have a slow start-middle of the year returning from injury but with Nike and Paige around to deliver passes I think Azzi will have the breakout year she was on track for in the beginning of last season.

For WCBB it will definitely just be Clark and Reese, imo. Brink would be up there if she didn't play in the Pac 12 where no one can see their games.
That's the truth!!! I live in the greater metropolitan Los Angeles area, and I've never seen a USC or UCLA WBB game on the PAC12 network. I have DirecTV which does not carry PAC-12 programing. :( I've missed a lot of good games that I would have watched if I had access to them. I think either Paige or Azzi will emerge as the face of the program before season's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom