Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree with DC that Brunson has a good shot and would be a good selection considering the team's makeup. I would still give Asjha the nod and give her a slight edge in the running over Brunson and Dupree. I don't think either Appel or Sophia Young have a very good shot at this time for this team. My 2 cents.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Asjha got my vote, which was admittedly biased. But Brunson would also be a very good choice if the USA decision makers want rebounding and inside toughness.

Nneka will not be the 2012 team, no matter how wonderful she has been in college. She has never been a National Team candidate, but she has plenty of time and opportunity to become a candidate for the 2012 team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
We could add in EDD, since she did sign with UConn. And maybe Sveta would join our side.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Breanna would be the first High Schooler, no? :p
Nancy Lieberman played in 1976 as an 18 year old I think she started college that fall same as Breanna's situation would be. The Olympic's Opening Ceremony was July 17th, 1976 in Montreal. She, also, played on the 1975 Pan American team as a 17 year old.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to follow up in Sarals post, you have to consider that Sue, Swin, Asjha, Catch are all elder statesmen so to speak. i have to imagine they will be around for 1 more Olympic games, but maybe not 2 (Catch is a year older than Sue etc). i think Whalen has proven she's the future PG of the US National team. she made the world team last year and the olympic team this year. but they need another one. in 4 years i doubt it will be Jefferson. probably come down to Simms, Diggins, Monty, or Harding. But ultimately i think Jefferson could well be a future US National PG.

and i think it's clear Bree Stewart and KML are going to be forces as well. i imagine E Williams has a future on the National team as does Griner and Ogwumike. EDD has the talent but i'm not sure she has the desire or intensity to go for it.

If Swin, Sue, Ashja and Catch are all on the team, when they leave i could see Simms/Diggins, Nneka, KML and Griner replacing them. it will be a bit before the next generation of UCONN players can outplay the current team enough to get named to it. Heck, there's only 12 players on it. too bad they don't do 15...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Nneka even in the pool??
Probably not. She was on the WUG team, but has not been with the senior team. Is she good enough? Quite possibly. Is she experienced enough? Maybe not, and certainly not as much as everyone else in the pool other than Griner. Nneka may well be one of our key players, but not until 2016.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves by projecting Moriah Jefferson to be the future Olympic team point guard. Sheesh! She hasn't yet participated in her first practice in college!

As Mark Twain said, an optimist is a day-dreamer with a fancy name.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves by projecting Moriah Jefferson to be the future Olympic team point guard. Sheesh! She hasn't yet participated in her first practice in college!

As Mark Twain said, an optimist is a day-dreamer with a fancy name.
why not? apparently you haven't seen her play. i guess you have no problem with people projecting Bree as a future Olympian tho. it's really no big deal. i doubt any comments by the BY are going to put undue pressure on her and freak her out before she even gets to college.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
why not? apparently you haven't seen her play. i guess you have no problem with people projecting Bree as a future Olympian tho. it's really no big deal. i doubt any comments by the BY are going to put undue pressure on her and freak her out before she even gets to college.

I have not yet seen Jefferson play and neither have you.

I made no mention of Stewart, nor did I suggest anything about anybody getting freaked out.

I just think it is silly to make such a bold projection with little competitive evidence.

Now, you want to discuss how many minutes that Rebecca's daughter will play in the 2019-2020 season, I'll join the conversation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have not yet seen Jefferson play and neither have you.

I made no mention of Stewart, nor did I suggest anything about anybody getting freaked out.

I just think it is silly to make such a bold projection with little competitive evidence.

Now, you want to discuss how many minutes that Rebecca's daughter will play in the 2019-2020 season, I'll join the conversation.
well you certainly are entitled to your opinion. and yes i've seen her play. she's a phenom. if speculation was never allowed, there would be about 5 posts a day on the board. try not to get so worked up over the small stuff! :)

and by the way, i'm not sure what was so "bold" about my "prediction". i said "ultimately i think Jefferson could well be a future US National PG"

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It might be over the top to have SIX of our guys... and I know that Geno (from what he has said) has great respect for Brunson. Another big is what they need (if they need anything). So of course, I hope that Ashja gets the nod, but I predict it will go to Brunson.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why Nneka is one of the options since she is not even in the pool of 9 players left to choose from. I am not saying that Nneka is not talented enough to play on the team, but the only players who have a chance are the ones left in the 9 finalists.

My vote goes to Brunson but I wouldn't be surprised if Cappie were chosen. It just depends on which position the committee feels needs to be a little deeper.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and by the way, i'm not sure what was so "bold" about my "prediction". i said "ultimately i think Jefferson could well be a future US National PG"
IDK, sounds like your treading on Tony ground there. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom