Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team? | The Boneyard

Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team?

Reaction Score
As has been noted many times, the BE needs to expand - doing so would enable a two division league, and with that, a few less BE games per season (i.e., play teams in your division twice....) and a more room for OOC games.

While no longer a factor for us, football may still drive otherwise candiate schools (big fan base, proximity, large stadium availability - such as Temple) from even considering an invite.

So in my view, I think we should strongly consider a few A-10 schools - with Dayton or UMASS my choices. Dayton (despite) their current record would be my first choice, since Dayton has a strong fan base, and since their location would be a perfect fit in a "west" BE division. UMASS would offer us a true local rival (assuming DH could still out-recruit them) -ala when they had Cal and Camby. I supporsse we could consdier URI for the same reason too - but I don't know much about the size of their fan base and basketball venue.

I would even consider BC coming back - but despite their mediocre ACC performance in both sports, I don't they would want to play independent football and the bad feelings probably still persist.

Reaction Score
They won't expand. Adding another team would kill the double round robin schedule we currently have. Plus, I think any school that we could likely add would just dilute the league. Dayton had a phenomenal year last year, but their body of work is, IMO, not Big East caliber. I say that as a somewhat Dayton fan because my mom went there.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
They won't expand. Adding another team would kill the double round robin schedule we currently have. Plus, I think any school that we could likely add would just dilute the league. Dayton had a phenomenal year last year, but their body of work is, IMO, not Big East caliber. I say that as a somewhat Dayton fan because my mom went there.
Never say never. If a no brainer school like Gonzaga approached the conference we would take them. Regardless of the geography.

Reaction Score
As has been noted many times, the BE needs to expand - doing so would enable a two division league, and with that, a few less BE games per season (i.e., play teams in your division twice....) and a more room for OOC games.

While no longer a factor for us, football may still drive otherwise candiate schools (big fan base, proximity, large stadium availability - such as Temple) from even considering an invite.

So in my view, I think we should strongly consider a few A-10 schools - with Dayton or UMASS my choices. Dayton (despite) their current record would be my first choice, since Dayton has a strong fan base, and since their location would be a perfect fit in a "west" BE division. UMASS would offer us a true local rival (assuming DH could still out-recruit them) -ala when they had Cal and Camby. I supporsse we could consdier URI for the same reason too - but I don't know much about the size of their fan base and basketball venue.

I would even consider BC coming back - but despite their mediocre ACC performance in both sports, I don't they would want to play independent football and the bad feelings probably still persist.

Your premise is off. They don't want to reduce the number of in conference games. That was a big selling point to the conference in adding UConn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
They won't add a 12th team mostly for what has been mentioned above. There is zero reason to from a competition standpoint- the league wants to play a double round robin- and nobody they could realistically add would enhance the TV deal past the current number.

If they HAD to add a 12th- it's St. Louis University. Geographically fits in well with Creighton/DePaul/Marquette and is a private Jesuit school fitting the mold of the entire league (except UConn). You'd have an even mix of schools on the East Coast with UConn, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Midwest with St. Louis, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler. SLU has a shared conference history with a lot of the midwest schools in the league: Creighton (MVC), DePaul (CUSA+ Great Midwest), Marquette (CUSA + Great Midwest), Butler (A10 + Horizon), and Xavier (A10 + Horizon). Not to mention its a decent recruiting area, they've got a relatively new (and beautiful I might add) arena, and are located in a large urban market similar to the rest of the league. Again it won't happen- but if they add a team it's SLU.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So in my view, I think we should strongly consider a few A-10 schools - with Dayton or UMASS
shocked dear god GIF

No.

Reaction Score
They won't add a 12th team mostly for what has been mentioned above. There is zero reason to from a competition standpoint- the league wants to play a double round robin- and nobody they could realistically add would enhance the TV deal past the current number.

If they HAD to add a 12th- it's St. Louis University. Geographically fits in well with Creighton/DePaul/Marquette and is a private Jesuit school fitting the mold of the entire league (except UConn). You'd have an even mix of schools on the East Coast with UConn, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Midwest with St. Louis, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler. SLU has a shared conference history with a lot of the midwest schools in the league: Creighton (MVC), DePaul (CUSA+ Great Midwest), Marquette (CUSA + Great Midwest), Butler (A10 + Horizon), and Xavier (A10 + Horizon). Not to mention its a decent recruiting area, they've got a relatively new (and beautiful I might add) arena, and are located in a large urban market similar to the rest of the league. Again it won't happen- but if they add a team it's SLU.
I live near St Louis and this is not the first time I have heard of this possibility. The program is strong with Travis Ford at the helm. Very nice arena funded in a large part by Alum Richard Chafetz. Crossing my fingers. This would be great as I would get to see my Huskies in person.

Reaction Score
I am pleasantly surprised that none of you resorted to ad hominem insults toward the OP. This was a very unpopular take indeed!

Reaction Score
The Big East will not expand and have said so multiple times.

this isn’t football, there’s no benefit to having an even number teams.

in fact, the benefit lays in having 11 teams so you can maintain the round robin

Reaction Score

Great location.

1610642119062.png

Reaction Score
It would be colossally dumb to add a team. If they were, St. Louis is really the only one that makes sense. It gives a clear and easy East/West split, major market, etc.

Won't happen because they'd be dumb, but that's the least stupid of all the stupid answers

Reaction Score
lordy
1 this has not been noted many times
2 no conferences have divisions for bball
3 we are keeping the round robin no matter what
4 the power conferences have all increased the number of conference games played and are scheduling fewer OOC games
5 xavier would never allow dayton to join thereby helping the recruiting profile of another ohio school at xavier's direct expense
6 if the BE ever did expand i'd take VCU. who cares if the conference is eastern weighted (it should be) and they easily have the best midmajor program/history outside of gonzaga. we'd just have to go to a 22 game round robin instead of playing 2 OOC cupcakes (thats actually a good thing from a fans POV)

however-it would all come down to whether the addition of VCU would increase the value of our TV contract enough to offset dividing the money 12 ways. the BE doesnt have it's own network that could be added to the cable packages of the richmond/virginia market so i doubt it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
P5 contraction is coming. It will be one of our former BE conference mates with a poor football program.

Reaction Score

Won't happen but St. Louis is a Great call, hadn't even thought of them. They've been a good program for a long time. Joining the BE would elevate them even more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom