Who were last night's refs? | The Boneyard

Who were last night's refs?

Reaction Score
Healthywealthy.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think the outcome of the game was significantly influenced by bad calls, although there were some. The worst call of the game was the one on which Napheesa fouled out, since the defender (a) set her feet after Napheesa was in the air; and (b) had one foot in the restricted area anyway. I think the charge that Saniya drew a minute or so later was also wrong, since Saniya leaned into the player who was driving to the basket. The same official (Mr. Vaszily) made both of those calls, but in general I don't think he is a bad ref -- he has had four or five UConn games this year and seemed to me to be fair and competent.

The call late in the first half where Saniya drew a charge seemed to me to be strictly correct, but it may have been one which the official could have overlooked. That seems to be the one that bothered the Cockytalkers more than any other. Doris Burke's complaint about the call was ill-founded -- it doesn't matter whether the ball is out of the player's hands when she makes contact with the defender; if the defender is set it is still a charge.

The call on KLS on the Gamecock fast break was a bad call, but so was the miss of Napheesa's partial block of a shot, which led to a UConn possession at the beginning of the second half.

Those were the bad calls that I remember, and I think they were roughly offsetting.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think JoePgh has the sum of it. The physical play of the game early on pretty much indicated to the refs that they had a choice: Call a foul every play or choose your moments. I didn't think the referee's were particularly better or worse than most of the games I've seen this year. It was, from my view, equal opportunity atrocious. For both teams. Nevertheless, as JoePgh has said, no one play affected the outcome of the game. I thought however the elbow to the stomach that Lou took off the play was perhaps a flagrant.

Reaction Score
There isn't a game played that there aren't blown calls and while there were a few calls that could have gone either way, especially on charges, the most egregious of the night was the call that took Phessa out of the game and wiped out a potential 3pt play, with the foul call on KLS on Wilson's fastbreak layup a close second.

Not a single call that went against SC was nearly as blatantly horrendous as those two.

Reaction Score
The best calls were the ones Nan made in the game thread.

Reaction Score
on a related note... I think it is time for 6 fouls. I see so many questionable calls that have a huge impact on the game. There are to many games where the best players are on the bench due to foul trouble. I hate watching good players sit due to bogus calls. The quick whistle is bad for the game. Either eliminate it, or allow 6 fouls.

And the notion by the announcers that the players must adjust, even though officials often anticipate fouls and blow their whistle before there is any contact. They are suckers for flopping too..... to much acting in BB

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I'm was puzzled by the fourth foul called on Lou (rebounding action in the final quarter). I saw typical physical play, but I didn't perceive a foul on anybody's part. Certainly not Lou's. It was a non-event to me, a no-call. Geno was a wee bit peeved about it, I think.

Perhaps I missed something? ESPN essentially ignored the play (too busy with Holly's report about the kid bleeding in the mouth, I recall). It also hasn't generated much, if any, comment here.

Any opinions on whether the foul call was legit or obvious? I'm wondering what I missed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Referees: Scott Yarbrough, Rachelle Jones, Joseph Vaszily

Scott Yarbrough was one of them. He's been highly regarded for years but I know he's had some clunkers when we played before.

Officiating.com : Authors
Scott Yarbrough has been around a long while. I don't think he is considered a top ref anymore. He works the SEC and Big 12, seldom anything else. Shocked to see him on your game.

Rachelle Jones works a lot, among the busiest, Rutgers gets her quite a bit in the B1G. I personally think Vaszily is awful, I don't know about now but Rutgers used to get him a lot in the BE days as he lived in NJ.

All of that said, and a few bad calls, I thought it was a decently reffed game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In one of the Sport Center presentations, after discussing the UConn win, the announcer (forgot who) said
" The refereeing need to get better. They are not keeping up with the product".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Scott Yarbrough has been around a long while. I don't think he is considered a top ref anymore. He works the SEC and Big 12, seldom anything else. Shocked to see him on your game.

Rachelle Jones works a lot, among the busiest, Rutgers gets her quite a bit in the B1G. I personally think Vaszily is awful, I don't know about now but Rutgers used to get him a lot in the BE days as he lived in NJ.

All of that said, and a few bad calls, I thought it was a decently reffed game.

Yarbrough used to work Final Fours but I think that was about 10 years or so ago. I remember in the early part of the season Yarbrough was working a game (I forget which teams) in which he seemed to flub multiple calls, and the analyst (maybe Antonelli or Burke?) said, "He's having a rough night."

Vaszily has worked at least a couple Final Fours in the past few years. I generally have considered him among the better officials, but I'm pretty sure he's the one who made the horrible call on Napheesa for her 5th and then the subsequent apparent makeup call on the other end.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The best calls were the ones Nan made in the game thread.
what did she say... I never join in on those or read them after, hard to enjoy the game. I like to form my own opinion without outside influences

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Vaszily has worked at least a couple Final Fours in the past few years. I generally have considered him among the better officials, but I'm pretty sure he's the one who made the horrible call on Napheesa for her 5th and then the subsequent apparent makeup call on the other end.

As I argued in another thread, the bogus call on Napheesa was particularly egregious because it did not involve any on-the-spot need for judgment, and not even 20-20 vision. He was the baseline ref with a clear view of the SC player's feet well within the arc under the basket. And it was Napheesa's fifth foul; he took her off the court and out of the game. There were some bad calls from Yarborough on Katy Lou, but Vaszily's the worst of the game.

Reaction Score
over on the SC board, they think the refs were strongly biased toward UConn. Over here, the opposite.

On the whole, then, they must have done an okay job.

Actually Bags, i posted earlier---that i believed the refs were terrible-- lots of missed calls ,however, when refs are equally terrible--that is at least FAIR.
i wouldn't like to see these 3 again--but Refs are human and make mistake--this game the mistakes were too often--but it appeared from the number they were equally rotten to USC and Uconn

Jim

Reaction Score
With the technology today, I think the game needs to do something like the NFL where a coach can toss a red bean bag and get a ref's call reviewed on the monitor. It would cost the team a time out if the call is not overturned. One benefit would be the coaches would not be working the officials so much as the ref could just say, "you don't like it -- toss your bag!" And there would probably be fewer technical fouls called as well. The downside is that not all teams/arenas have the same level of TV cameras in place, particularly those that receive less funding.

Reaction Score
In games like this where the reffing seems uneven, I wonder if it is a function of having three refs with different views. Some refs call more charges and others more blocks when the call is close. Some allow a lot of contact in the lane and others don't. So depending upon who sees the "offense" the call may differ.
I really dislike the anticipatory foul call - a player swipes toward the one with the ball and the whistle blows before the play even happens as the ref anticipates the foul. Sometimes it is a foul, but sometimes the ref should have seen that no contact was made. I do respect the refs who will then claim "Inadvertant whistle" more than those who attempt a makeup foul call.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
on a related note.. I think it is time for 6 fouls. I see so many questionable calls that have a huge impact on the game. There are to many games where the best players are on the bench due to foul trouble. I hate watching good players sit due to bogus calls. The quick whistle is bad for the game. Either eliminate it, or allow 6 fouls.

And the notion by the announcers that the players must adjust, even though officials often anticipate fouls and blow their whistle before there is any contact. They are suckers for flopping too.... to much acting in BB

Agree but absent this change, I'd like to see a rule change wherein if a player has fouled out, one more "foul to give" is added in case a game goes to overtime.

Reaction Score
Since we won the game I can forgive all those bad calls ..LOL

Really, Kaizen??? How un-Geno-like! Geno would never say, "It's ok, guys... Forget about your mistakes out there last night. After all, you won, didn't you?"

K...
Please rethink this! ;0)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom