WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN? | The Boneyard

WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN?

Reaction Score
Sorry, had to use that title.

Premiered last night. I thought it was fairly incredible. Anyone see it or plan to?

Reaction Score
Sorry, had to use that title.

Premiered last night. I thought it was fairly incredible. Anyone see it or plan to?
I haven't watched it yet but plan to. Does it follow the graphic novel/movie, or is it something all new?

Reaction Score
Seems its a straight continuation of the graphic novel and ignores the treatment that the movie used.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I didn't know anything about Watchmen and tried watching the 1st episode - I was really lost !

Reaction Score
I didn't know anything about Watchmen and tried watching the 1st episode - I was really lost !
I'm not a big comic/graphic novel person but the original book really is tremendous. It's a quick read too, if you're so inclined. The movie that was made, although it took a few liberties with the source material, was mostly faithful and gave a great sense of the bleakness from the comic.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big comic/graphic novel person but the original book really is tremendous. It's a quick read too, if you're so inclined. The movie that was made, although it took a few liberties with the source material, was mostly faithful and gave a great sense of the bleakness from the comic.

The major difference between the book and the movie is the ending. The book features a giant monster.....

Reaction Score

My son said to watch the movie first. Just for background. He loves the series so far. He would be a better judge than I, so I'm going to follow his instructions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a quick read too, if you're so inclined.
But if you are so inclined, I think you would miss a lot. It's pretty dense, 9 panels to a page. And art is so detailed, there's always stuff going on in the backgrounds. Watchmen works best as a comic book taken slowly, imo.

Reaction Score
Watchmen was better left as a standalone story. DC trying to integrate the characters into their current day comics doesn't work, and this new series is just more "let's jam politics into a fantasy setting" style of story telling that has just gotten tiresome.

Sure the original Watchmen was set against a backdrop of a potential nuclear war, but it was all about these deeply flawed "heroes" and how they arguably did more harm than good at the end of the day. I just think it should have been left to stand on its own. Just my opinion of course.

Reaction Score
Watchmen was better left as a standalone story. DC trying to integrate the characters into their current day comics doesn't work, and this new series is just more "let's jam politics into a fantasy setting" style of story telling that has just gotten tiresome.

Sure the original Watchmen was set against a backdrop of a potential nuclear war, but it was all about these deeply flawed "heroes" and how they arguably did more harm than good at the end of the day. I just think it should have been left to stand on its own. Just my opinion of course.

I hope it actually turns back to the original theme. It was a good first episode but if this is going to be about a big race war then it’s going to get old fast.

Reaction Score
I hope it actually turns back to the original theme. It was a good first episode but if this is going to be about a big race war then it’s going to get old fast.

I think a lot of film makers today get caught up in this idea that entertainment needs to "reflect the issues we face in society today". Forget the fact that half the people in this country don't agree with one political slant or the other, we just want to be entertained and to escape real life issues for a bit when we watch a movie, etc. To me, Watchmen worked because the heroes were so different from the Supermen, Captain Americas, etc. What we are seeing now, both in print and on HBO, just seems like a money grab and I feel like it has nothing to do with what was a pretty damn good story.

Reaction Score
we just want to be entertained and to escape real life issues for a bit when we watch a movie, etc.
Aren't there like 243 comic book movies that already do just this? There were probably 7 spidermans just last year. Whats wrong with something different? Some people like to be thought provoked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a lot of film makers today get caught up in this idea that entertainment needs to "reflect the issues we face in society today". Forget the fact that half the people in this country don't agree with one political slant or the other, we just want to be entertained and to escape real life issues for a bit when we watch a movie, etc. To me, Watchmen worked because the heroes were so different from the Supermen, Captain Americas, etc. What we are seeing now, both in print and on HBO, just seems like a money grab and I feel like it has nothing to do with what was a pretty damn good story.

Watchmen is about how superheroes actually do more harm than good and that their vigilante acts are actually selfish.

In Doctor Manhattan’s case. His gifts are actually more of a curse than a blessing.

I wish they would keep exploring that although they seem to be going with the whole masked policeman thing.

Reaction Score
Aren't there like 243 comic book movies that already do just this? There were probably 7 spidermans just last year. Whats wrong with something different? Some people like to be thought provoked.
Do they ? In comic book movies ?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This will save you time and give you all the perspective on the backstory that you need.

Reaction Score
This will save you time and give you all the perspective on the backstory that you need.

If you like the show then the book is well worth it. It’s designed to be read more than once. The show has done a pretty commendable job of capturing the feel of the book while making something that seems entirely original at the same time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They're vigilante warriors, not social justice warriors. However, I suppose you can say they have the betterment of social justice in common interest. What have you against social justice?

Yeah, I never got how the right came to think that fighting against social justice is somehow laudable. They are people who are naive about what it takes to move public opinion away from selfishness and fear on that kind of scale. They may not want to hear it but they need to hear it.

Defending someone who doesn't get context well is a lot easier than defending someone thinks the underlying prejudices shouldn't be called out.

Reaction Score
They're vigilante warriors, not social justice warriors. However, I suppose you can say they have the betterment of social justice in common interest. What have you against social justice?

You two are easily confused. I suggest you do better.

I have no interest in watching a show about that. We already have enough of that as it is. And thank god it isn’t.

Maybe someday you can read the book, because it’s not worth explaining to you.

Yeah, I never got how the right came to think that fighting against social justice is somehow laudable. They are people who are naive about what it takes to move public opinion away from selfishness and fear on that kind of scale. They may not want to hear it but they need to hear it.

Defending someone who doesn't get context well is a lot easier than defending someone thinks the underlying prejudices shouldn't be called out.

Wow. Nope. That’s not what I said.

Reaction Score
You two are easily confused. I suggest you do better.

I have no interest in watching a show about that. We already have enough of that as it is. And thank god it isn’t.

Maybe someday you can read the book, because it’s not worth explaining to you.

Wow. Nope. That’s not what I said.

A lot of people don't understand that it isn't the concept of "social justice" that is targeted, but rather the idiots who take to twitter, etc because they see some sort of injustice everywhere they look. The people who moan about the Mandalorian not having enough women in it, the people who tell you that if you don't like something it's because you are a "fill in the blank", the people who just get so bent out of shape over pretty much everything they see, etc. The entertainment industry is full of those types, and most people just don't want that stuff rammed down their throat at every turn.

Reaction Score
A lot of people don't understand that it isn't the concept of "social justice" that is targeted, but rather the idiots who take to twitter, etc because they see some sort of injustice everywhere they look. The people who moan about the Mandalorian not having enough women in it, the people who tell you that if you don't like something it's because you are a "fill in the blank", the people who just get so bent out of shape over pretty much everything they see, etc. The entertainment industry is full of those types, and most people just don't want that stuff rammed down their throat at every turn.

lame virtue signallers.

Reaction Score
Probably hinges on what you define as "social justice". I'd say Traitor71 pretty much nailed it.

Reaction Score
On this site, this post is probably a good way to get a thread nuked, but I want to try and be clear to you how I think on this.

There is a difference, a clear difference, between a rational person who wants to work to make things better and an SJW. SJW's aren't rational, aren't interested in being polite, and aren't interested in lifting people up. They are interested in tearing people down in an effort to create this level playing field, this utopia that they claim to want. It's like some sort of a bizarre "let's get them back, let's get revenge" sort of belief system. This whole "you're white, you're male, you're bad" nonsense does nothing to help, and everything to hurt.

These types of attitudes are held by quite a few people in the entertainment industry. That ideology ran rampant through the comic book industry and has pretty much destroyed it. Now Hollywood is quite a bit sturdier than that industry, but these types are doing their best (worst?) to trash it.

I like to use the Star Wars example.

Rational person number 1. "I didn't like The Last Jedi. It was a poor example of story telling, it wrecked the overall arc of this trilogy, and it was shameful in its handling of the legacy characters."

Rational person number 2. "I liked The Last Jedi. It took chances, went in a different direction with unexpected plot twists, continued the story of new characters."

SJW. "If you didn't like The Last Jedi you are just a misogynistic, racist, man baby"

That last example is what I am tired of having rammed down my throat. It's beyond ridiculous when you have critics, twitter lunatics, and even film makers coming out and saying stuff like that. Don't make Terminator and tell us before it comes out that "straight white men will be scared of this character". Don't make Charlie's Angels and tell us that "If this movie fails it's because white men don't like women".

Just do your best to tell the story you want to tell and let us judge if we like it or not. Everything doesn't have to be a crusade, especially when it's all just fantasy world stuff.

Good lord that was a lot of typing. Ohio State scored twice in the time it took me to attempt to put these thoughts into some form of polite discourse.
Only thing I'd change is person number 2 is not "rational". They're delusional

Reaction Score
It really is. I’ve been blown away by the past several episodes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom