Who takes the last shot? | The Boneyard

Who takes the last shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a game going back and forth, UConn has the players to go blow for blow with anyone including Notre Dame. In the last minute ND knows put the ball in Skylar's hand get out of the way, she either goes to score or draws a double and finds the open player for an easy score. In the last minute who does that for UConn? Seems to me they just try to see whats available or go with something that worked before and it gets kaotic if that option breaks down. Maybe I'm wrong, but who is the go to person or go to play when you need a bucket in the last minute since every game won't be a blowout?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IIRC, Geno said at one point he'd prefer to have Dolson get the last shot since her FG% is either #1 or 2 in the nation. But in the absence of that, you'd probably want Stewie or KML with the last shot.

Unlike the NC game vs. Oklahoma way back when Geno had then sophomore DT taking the last shot, I think this team would be more likely to move the ball around and try to find the best shot available as opposed to a clear out for just one player. But what do I know.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I would think you would want KML to have the ball in her hands. Set a couple of screens to get her open and then watch her go.

Dolson wouldn't be a bad option as well since there is a better chance she'll get fouled and go to the line.

Reaction Score
I think this team would be more likely to move the ball around and try to find the best shot available as opposed to a clear out for just one player. But what do I know.

I think that was the strategy in the 3rd ot and we didn't even get off a shot.

Reaction Score
And therein lies the rub.

Not a Sue Bird, Nykesha Sales or a Diana Taurasi in sight (if memory serves Maya Moore never had to take one).

I suspect if the last shot is anything other than a desperation by McBride or Diggins with ND down by 4 or more, things might not be all that positive for our side.

Clearly Coach has someone in mind, as the players have publicly said they've been devoting considerable practice time to these scenarios.

Who? I have absolutely no idea, except I think we can remove Heather Buck or Brianna Banks from consideration...

Reaction Score
You may think I am crazy, (and you wouldn't be alone) I think Kelly Faris would be my choice as the "Last second" shot taker. She always seems to be clutch when they need a basket

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it depends on where and what the shot is, but the nation's best shooter--the kid who wants to be great--is my choice.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Whoever has a hot hand and doesn't have a history of being stupid in the clutch.

Plenty of players at UConn could do the job, talentwise. It's really in the head, and if you've been hot, your head's going to be in a better place. Having come through in the past helps, and both Bria and Kelly have done that. If either of them happen to be hot, I'd prefer either of them.

BTW, the OP said "even" ND. Why not ND? It's had a great year, but their players know as well as I -- and as BYers should -- that their 3 wins over UConn easily could have gone the other way. They deserved those wins, but they know they got them while playing extremely well and with UConn not playing its best. If ND players watched the Bridgeport regional, they also know that the Huskies have been playing lights-out a lot lately. That's their mental burden, and will be to UConn's advantage if the kids can start to see it that way.

Hey, I see plenty of hints and signals from media types that they -- despite this year's history to date -- think, as I do, that UConn is the better team and likely to defeat all comers, while accepting that ND could pull a 4th upset this year.

Reaction Score
We need to be in a place where the last shot doesn't matter.
If not, we'll lose again; it's just fate.
So we need to be well in control to the end.

Reaction Score
Not Stef or KML, in the first game they could have ended the string and didn't. They had the fast break with the lead, Stef passed up a layup to pass to KML for a wide open 3 which she missed. Now is the time to give the ball to Breanna, give her the chance to make a play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
KML had a great shot but she was still coming off the injury. Leg lift is important to the 3 for a jump shooter. She was dead on just short. I would gladly give the same shot to KML again.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This weekend, against ND, the last shot will come from Heather Buck. When we have such a big lead, who else would you have take the shot. I need an exorcist, Tony has invaded my body.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
An insider-type predicted before the season started that this year Bria would have the ball late....and it would be up to her to make a play....shoot or pass to the right person. If she continues her recent uptick, I think that is still likely.

Next year at this time.....MoJeff to do the same thing...with passing the preferred option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom