Who should take the Shot?! | The Boneyard

Who should take the Shot?!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
As we are approaching the win or go home time of the year, and I know how we all are better coaches than Geno himself. My question to you fans, in a tied ball game with 10 seconds on the clock and we have the ball, a) who's hand should the ball be in with 10 seconds to go and b) who do you want/prefer taking the final shot?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As we are approaching the win or go home time of the year, and I know how we all are better coaches than Geno himself. My question to you fans, in a tied ball game with 10 seconds on the clock and we have the ball, a) who's hand should the ball be in with 10 seconds to go and b) who do you want/prefer taking the final shot?
Definitely Crystal -- she has proven in big games all year that she can handle pressure better than anyone else. And don't forget that she (along with Napheesa) made a crucial three late in a Final Four game against ND that took the game to overtime.

Reaction Score
Well if history is any indicator. it will be Dangerfield, whether that's the correct person who knows. Looking back at more than a few games when coming to the end of the first half the ball is in Dangerfield's hands and she doesn't give up the ball, usually forcing up a shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well if history is any indicator. it will be Dangerfield, whether that's the correct person who knows. Looking back at more than a few games when coming to the end of the first half the ball is in Dangerfield's hands and she doesn't give up the ball, usually forcing up a shot.
It’s only a forced shot if you don’t make it, and Crystal has made quite a few “end of qtr” shots.

Reaction Score
I'm going to assume that we have the ball in the front court with 10 sec to go. First option: inside to ONO for a close in 2 and or free throws. She also has the option of passing back out to an open shooter. Second option: set some screens to get Meg the last shot. Third option: ball to CD to shoot or drive looking for a foul.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Crystal. She’s been taking and making big shots all season.
I couldn't agree with you more which leads me to another question.

If we acknowledge that Crytal is the most likely to make the big shot in a game, why is it then that we really seldom see her take the first shot in games?

As the great sideline coach that I am, :cool:, I would think it imperative to get our team off to a good start offensively just to help build confidence as a team that we can score whenever we want..

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Crystal with the ball and I would trust her judgment as to where it goes....pass or shoot herself.
Next April in the same spot...Paige.

BTW: recollection: semi-final game against Texas way back when....we are down 9 with about 6 minutes to go....in some serious trouble.

I remember reading post-game that Geno's in-huddle instructions to the team at that point were:

If you have an open lay-up...shoot. If not be sure that Dee touches the ball on every possession.
I remember some wonderful passes she made late as we pulled out a close one....maybe by one?
I think that was the year that we beat Oklahoma in the final game.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I'd say she's well under 50% in those situations and everyone else on the court knows what's coming and they're just standing around
Let's say you are correct that she's 50% in those situations, who else on the team is above 50% IN THOSE SITUATIONS?

Let's face it if you are in that situation to begin with you can almost bet the team you are playing plays pretty good defense as well, chances are Ono is matched up pretty well in the post, other than CW, who else is capable of getting a good shot off with a decent defender on them that have the confidence to make the shot or get fouled?

Reaction Score
Olivia for an "and one" with power! Or anyone else - the beauty of this team is that expectations aren't as high and all five starters are capable of making a big shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crystal coming off a double screen.
The other part of that option is that if an opponent misplays the screen freeing up Liv or someone else for an open cut to the basket, Crystal is the best person on the team to recognize the mistake and get the ball to a teammate for an open layup.

Reaction Score
Crystal is a fine choice. But i would go with Megan. She has taken over and hit big shots earlier.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Option 1 Liv underneath
Option 2 Anna in the corner
Option 3 Meg on the wing to slash to a mid-range
Option 4 Chrysten (see 3 above)
Option 5 Crystal from Blaze

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd say she's well under 50% in those situations and everyone else on the court knows what's coming and they're just standing around
So you think Geno is going to design a last second shot where everyone stands around watching Crystal either win or lose the game by herself?

Here’s what’s going to happen. Anna and Megan will each position themselves in a corner behind the arc, with Christyn behind the arc at the wing. Crystal, who has tremendous range will force a defender to cover her well beyond the arc at the top of the key

That positioning will effectively spread the floor. Liv will flash up to the high post to set a screen for Crystal. That’s when all the fun begins.
  1. If Crystal’s defender goes behind the screen, she will pull up for an open 3
  2. If Liv’s defender switches hard onto Crystal, Liv will roll hard to the basket where she will have a mismatch, and Crystal will get her the ball.
  3. If Crystal’s defender fights her way over Liv’s screen, there are several more options:
  4. If Crystal has a half step she will go up for a mid-range jumper
  5. If another player collapses on Crystal to double her, or even turns her head to look at her, there are more options:
  6. For a double-team either Meg, Anna or Christyn will be wide open at the arc. Crystal will get the ball to them and they will have the responsibility of knocking down the shot.
  7. If a defender turns her head to watch, a UConn player (Meg, Anna or Christyn) will make a hard backdoor cut for an open layup.
So yes, Crystal will have the ball in her hands in order to take the last shot, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that she will actually take the last shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SO you also want those two to be handling the ball with 10 sec's on the clock and defenses coming at them?
You don't think that defenses will be coming at Crystal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom