Who should I root for tonight | The Boneyard

Who should I root for tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you were of German descent and were born and raised in America would you have rooted for the Nazis in WW2?

Reaction Score
Simple. You root for UConn in basketball, and you can feel free to root for Harvard in Harvard sports, like squash. Or the Westminster Dog Show.

Reaction Score
My Alma mater or my beloved huskies?
Now are you looking at the right game? I could see someone from BCU ask that type of dumb question, but a Harvard grad! Exactly how beloved do you feel for your Huskies? Apparently not enough to be asking that question.

I too went to a school in Massachusetts, but never once did that question cross my mind.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, root for UConn and here's why:

Harvard is a great story, and I expect them to dominate the Ivy League this year. I'm not sure they'll go undefeated through league play, but it's quite possible. If they win this game they've got a great shot at going undefeated for the season. If they do that, they'll get drastically overseeded for the NCAA Tournament (particularly after UConn matures and reels off a great season-ending streak which would make this win look even bigger). If that's the case you're not going to have to wait a year for your alma mater's first NCAA tournament win (which, regardless of who it comes against, would be a bigger deal than winning this game because infinitely more non-hoops fans pay attention in March).

Furthermore, if you do win this game and you do go undefeated, ESPN will generate an absolutely nauseating amount of press about it (What's this? An Ivy league team, good at a sport that isn't lacrosse? Quick! Let Chris Connelly out of his cage!), which will probably turn the general public against Harvard. It's not like you're the plucky underdogs America loves to root for anyway. You're freakin' Harvard. Your median graduate's income is larger than the GDP of Central America. America's image of your student body treads a fine line between kind-hearted, intellectual, nerd-geniuses like Bill Gates, and preppy, Aryan, crew-douches like the Winklevoss twins, it's not going to take a whole lot to get people rooting against you.

So, in summation, Harvard's better off if they lose tonight. You've got to think of the big picture here. Go Huskies!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If that's "in all seriousness," I'm interested to hear your non-serious take.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I had no problem knowing who I was going to root for when UConn played against my alma mater Bucknell first round of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
"You have no right to shoot me down on a messageboard, since I guarantee I make way more money than you"

Actually that's not so humble - or, in many cases, factual.

Reaction Score
The person is a "she". Look at her avatar.

ErieVern4...you available? :D

Reaction Score
I, for one, am glad that ErieVern4 brought up this quandary. As a proud alum of Marathon Oil, I'm never sure who to root for when they match up with the Huskies each fall. Thanks to this thread, I'm now vehemently aware that my halcyon years spent streaking across the barges and doing derek-stands cannot be allowed to sway my longer-term Uconn allegiances, though this causes sweet, crude tears to tumble from my eyes.

Reaction Score
you answered your own question when you wrote "beloved"

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I, for one, am glad that ErieVern4 brought up this quandary. As a a proud alum of Marathon Oil, I'm never sure who to root for when they match up with the Huskies each fall. Thanks to this thread, I'm now vehemently aware that my halcyon years spent streaking across the barges and doing derek-stands cannot be allowed to sway my longer-term Uconn allegiances, though this causes sweet, crude tears to tumble from my eyes.

I wish I could Like this post a hundred times. I didn't even get past "Oil" before I started dying. Thanks for the laugh.

Reaction Score
I, for one, am glad that ErieVern4 brought up this quandary. As a proud alum of Marathon Oil, I'm never sure who to root for when they match up with the Huskies each fall. Thanks to this thread, I'm now vehemently aware that my halcyon years spent streaking across the barges and doing derek-stands cannot be allowed to sway my longer-term Uconn allegiances, though this causes sweet, crude tears to tumble from my eyes.

In years of lurking here, this is one of the funniest posts I've read, coffee spitting funny!!!! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom