Who needs em'??? | The Boneyard

Who needs em'???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had a nice 'sports' conversation today with a friend of mine who lives in the great state of Texas. We were talking about out favorite teams in the men's major professional sports leagues when the topic of football came up. When I admitted that I'm a long suffering Vikings fan (since 1965), he stated that it must be strange to live in a state that is bereft of a single big league team, especially since we're surrounded by states with such legendary franchises in multiple sports.

My response....................

In Connecticut, we have the UCONN women. We are the luckiest fans in sports for a variety of reasons, many of which go beyond wins and losses. If I had the choice to move all of my top teams to within walking distance, or keep the Huskies, I wouldn't have to think twice. I know it's difficult for many sports 'types' to understand, but at the end of the day, you have my pity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is so true!
I get really excited about some of my other favorite teams when they win, but there is nothing like following true amateurs in pursuit of perfection (and getting darned close.) I find that I dislike so many great professional sports stars - entitled and often not very nice off the field/court and more interested in getting the highest available paycheck rather than performing in a team environment. And men's college sports unfortunately is so full of the beginnings of the same flaws. Women's college sports (and professional) are more caught up in fighting for respect than chasing every last dollar and still exhibit the gratitude of having a professional avenue open to them - maybe it will change some day, certainly one would like to see more popularity and more money available, but they make a virtue of the current dearth of both.

We have another thread about coaches complaining about todays kids, and I agree that they have changed, but I suspect most of the coaches are grateful not to be dealing with the modern day boys! I think they know how good they have it on the distaff side of things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom