Who Killed UConn Football - It takes a village (Aman Kidwai @ UConnBlog) | The Boneyard

Who Killed UConn Football - It takes a village (Aman Kidwai @ UConnBlog)

Reaction Score
It is entertaining soooooo. I guess I’m done ! Later

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's Uncle Flippy. If BC had the foresight to see what a true NE rivalry could have been we'd be in the ACC and none of this would be happening.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That was funny. I direct most of my blame/anger at Jeff Hathaway too. Paul Pasqualoni was what he always was: a washed up retread who was probably as shocked as anyone that he was even interviewed, let alone hired. Hathaway failed - in every sense of the word - to capture the momentum of UConn athletics from the early/mid 2000s and build upon it. The Rent should've been expanded to 50K, at least. The next coach after Edsall should've been exciting and viewed nationally as UConn was serious about building on its Fiesta Bowl appearance to play with the Old Money Club. Calhoun should've had a statue constructed at center court and that statue would play as our 6th man. Donations should have skyrocketed with national championships and annual bowl games.

I was a little disappointed to not find Mark Emmert's name on this list. That APR postseason ban was absurd and ultimately used as the nonsense reason why UConn was passed over for "safe" Louisville. Go figure, the level of irony there.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Suzie Lax 0/10, along with Boston College getting a 0/10? Huh, what?

Out of everyone P gets the highest blame? P was horrible but we did win 5 games his first two seasons, one of which with a walk on QB..

To me it's Hathaway, Herbst, Manuel, Diaco, P, Edsall.

Reaction Score
Edsall killed it when he bailed on them, with no notice, after the most important game in program history. Had he stayed there would have at least been some semblance of continuity as far as the coaching staff and program culture is concerned heading into the AAC era. Hathaway and the BOT pounded a few nails in the coffin with the hiring of Pasqualoni instead of ponying up enough cash to hire a big time national collegiate name and staff with a proven track record of recruiting to keep the UConn brand relevant. They may have pursued some big names and were turned down because of the obvious lack of talent in UConn's immediate footprint. But it all started to unravel the day Edsall left the team to fly home by themselves.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Out of everyone P gets the highest blame? P was horrible but we did win 5 games his first two seasons, one of which with a walk on QB..

This sounds like the guy who killed his parents asking for leniency because he was an orphan.

Reaction Score
Horrible piece. Defeatist mentality.

NESCAC? Does anyone not use this message board for info? 'CAC wouldn't accept us anyway.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I put it on Hathaway, The BOT with Larry McHugh and the CT HS Football Coaches. That first hire of FHCPP was the start of the avalanche and all the folks noted above bought into the old coach still having what it took. They were wrong.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I put it on many and yes BC deserves some along with Hathaway who was asleep at the wheel

Reaction Score
One word article. Hathaway.
Hate giving credit when it's due. :D This is spot on BINGO!
Always surprised at the number of solid fans that did not realize the degree of detestation Randy had for Jeff.
Then again I did get to see him get loud, red in the face and spittle flying, point Jeff out in front of 4-5 hundred fans. This at a Q&A near the end of a signing event when Randy was asked why he could not get more money for assistants.

As to the blog post, it just comes across as another like Jeff Jacobs trying to rehash a bunch of crap to feel relevant and informative in their own minds.

Reaction Score
Hathaway and his caretaker mentality planted the seeds of our current state. In order for UConn Football to be healthy you have to be scrappy and fight for everything.

Reaction Score
Edsall killed it when he bailed on them, with no notice, after the most important game in program history. Had he stayed there would have at least been some semblance of continuity as far as the coaching staff and program culture is concerned heading into the AAC era. Hathaway and the BOT pounded a few nails in the coffin with the hiring of Pasqualoni instead of ponying up enough cash to hire a big time national collegiate name and staff with a proven track record of recruiting to keep the UConn brand relevant. They may have pursued some big names and were turned down because of the obvious lack of talent in UConn's immediate footprint. But it all started to unravel the day Edsall left the team to fly home by themselves.
I actually think it started before Edsall left. His last couple recruiting classes were not that great. Schools that we were recruiting against were telling potential recruits that Edsall was going to leave Uconn. Edsall left Pasqualoni a pretty good defensive team. However, we didn't have a decent quarterback on the roster nor a top flight running back. Edsall always manage to get by with so so quarterbacks ( other than when he had Dan O. ) but never without a real good running back. Also, the offensive line did not have much depth and by year two of the Pasqualoni era became a real weak spot for the team. Of course, a better hire may have overcome all of these issues. The overall talent on our roster continue to get worse during the Pasqualoni years and the Diaco years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hathaway and his caretaker mentality planted the seeds of our current state. In order for UConn Football to be healthy you have to be scrappy and fight for everything.
Don't forget his BB pricing and ticketing policies helped to kill the enthusiasm of a great fan base. You are understating Hathaway's devastating impact on the entire athletic department.

1541696549745.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't forget his BB pricing and ticketing policies helped to kill the enthusiasm of a great fan base. You are understating Hathaway's devastating impact on the entire athletic department.

That was more Lew Perkins than Hathaway. Remember the U game?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was more Lew Perkins than Hathaway. Remember the U game?
Lol, yes I do. That was a bucket of nothing, wasn't it?

Nah, I feel like Hathaway was the guy who treated fans like a commodity. It ended up costing us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom