Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
how aboot this question- are the UConn women the most popular female sports team on planet earth? no facts to support my guess, just years of travel to make me wonder if it's true.

Reaction Score
Shabazz and Boatright and Deandre Daniels and Giffey never happened? Shabazz with 2 along with Tyler Olander. Old white guys love the UConn girls as they have had a couple good runs with white girls leading the way. Dianna, Breanna and the first one with Jenn. Kara and Rebecca. They have put up the longest winning streaks on a number of occasions. When we have a good Men's team the popularity is through the roof.
First, I was speaking solely on behalf of the men’s team. Second, have you asked anyone outside the state of CT who Niels Giffey or Deandre Daniels are? Like come on...I’m not talking anybody down, they’re both in my AVI lol, but we’re talking about a national presence here. The WBB team dominates the national scene.

Reaction Score
First, I was speaking solely on behalf of the men’s team. Second, have you asked anyone outside the state of CT who Niels Giffey or Deandre Daniels are? Like come on...I’m not talking anybody down, they’re both in my AVI lol, but we’re talking about a national presence here. The WBB team dominate the national scene
I am not a women's fan at all but I do respect their success. What do you think happens when their coach retires? The women had their greatest success when their wasn't much completion and people jumped on the train much like Yankee fans of the 1950s. People love winners.

Reaction Score
I am not a women's fan at all but I do respect their success. What do you think happens when their coach retires? The women had their greatest success when their wasn't much completion and people jumped on the train much like Yankee fans of the 1950s. People love winners.
I mean, you could argue that about anything. What happened when Pat Summit retired, Tennessee WBB is still a national brand. Just like people still respect UCLA and Indiana in MBB regardless of their utter lack of success the past 30 years.
When Geno retires, we thank him for helping build UConn to be the most respected overall basketball program in the country. And try to understand that the women’s team is a big big reason why we are considered the college basketball capital of the world.

Reaction Score
First, I was speaking solely on behalf of the men’s team. Second, have you asked anyone outside the state of CT who Niels Giffey or Deandre Daniels are? Like come on...I’m not talking anybody down, they’re both in my AVI lol, but we’re talking about a national presence here. The WBB team dominates the national scene.

"Dominates the national scene" is a huge LOL.

Do you really think that the average basketball fan in a spot like Arkansas or Utah have seen a second of NCAA Women's Basketball?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Internet searches are one indication of popularity, but money talks.

• Season ticket cost.........no even 50% (so much for equality).
  • TV money.....do not know the math but I am pretty sure it is not close.

I am a fan of both (all) UConn squads, but woman's hoop as a sport has a way to go. My biggest issue is they are too good. The 30-40 point wins are not compelling - not Geno's or the ladies fault.

Reaction Score
You need to leave your cocoon and open your eyes.
UConn grandpa I opened my eyes and I see you in a nursing home with your lady huskies sweatshirt on. God bless you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So many awful takes.

Women’s hoop is a really small pie - using a metric like google searches to determine popularity is goofy.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
A more interesting graph would be UConn ladies vs all other colleges (or WNBA).

Reaction Score
So many awful takes.

Women’s hoop is a really small pie - using a metric like google searches to determine popularity is goofy.

Agreed that Google searches measure what people want to learn more about, not necessarily what they like.

So it can be said that a lot of people are consistently interested in the UConn women to some degree.

But in the ways that measure more active fandom: $, attendance, fan message board posts, etc., the men are more popular (the post count being as close as it was on here surprised me).

Translating the Google searches into more $ and active fandom is the job of the marketing and sales people of the athletic department.

Reaction Score
"Dominates the national scene" is a huge LOL.

Do you really think that the average basketball fan in a spot like Arkansas or Utah have seen a second of NCAA Women's Basketball?
This literally has nothing to do with watching basketball though or the average fan? It literally has to do with the popularity of the team, which is how well known they are.

When I tell people I went to UConn, the first thing they mention is the women's basketball team. Dominance breeds popularity.

Reaction Score
This literally has nothing to do with watching basketball though or the average fan? It literally has to do with the popularity of the team, which is how well known they are.

When I tell people I went to UConn, the first thing they mention is the women's basketball team. Dominance breeds popularity.

We are definitely treading near the "the men's team should take FT shooting lessons from the girls" territory.

Are you one of those old creeps that knits them stuff or bakes them cookies?

Reaction Score
It's 100% the women's team. When I'm in another state and have on a Uconn hat or hoodie, folks automatically start a convo about the womens team.. They know about the means team but even non sports folk know about the women team at Uconn.

I purposely wear Uconn gear when I am traveling to competitive states.

Reaction Score
"We're going to have to set up a senior citizens home and a day-care center most of the their fans are over 60 and under 10." - Jim Calhoun
Can’t argue with this as it’s what I’ve witnessed too. This quote must be very old though because JC is 78. I didn’t see age in the original question. I’ve been to some women’s lopsided games and the fans are still cheering wildly.

Reaction Score
UConn grandpa I opened my eyes and I see you in a nursing home with your lady huskies sweatshirt on. God bless you.
I greatly appreciate my lady huskies. Really can’t see why you juveniles don’t like that. If you really think I’m that old you should be showing some respect. Apparently my kids upbringing was superior to yours.

Reaction Score
We are definitely treading near the "the men's team should take FT shooting lessons from the girls" territory.

Are you one of those old creeps that knits them stuff or bakes them cookies?
Bro, your takes are wild.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
using a metric like google searches to determine popularity is goofy.
Fair. Feel free to edit the title if it really bothers you.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It’s WBB.

Just look at the most viewed videos on @Storrs South’s YouTube channel - he’s been consistently posting both MBB and WBB highlights the last few years. WBB accounts for 97 of his 100 most viewed videos and MBB only 2.
Maybe it's three old foggies and 2 similarly aged biddies that just keep running them over and over.

Reaction Score
In state when they are good the men’s team has a bigger following.
Nationally the UConn women have a larger cult like following. Since they haven’t won in awhile those followings fade quicklly. At its peak the men had some national clout but 2014 is eons ago to the fickle fan.?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In state when they are good the men’s team has a bigger following.
Nationally the UConn women have a larger cult like following. Since they haven’t won in awhile those followings fade quicklly. At its peak the men had some national clout but 2014 is eons ago to the fickle fan.?
This is actually supported by the data in the link I posted.

Reaction Score
It's 100% the women's team. When I'm in another state and have on a Uconn hat or hoodie, folks automatically start a convo about the womens team.. They know about the means team but even non sports folk know about the women team at Uconn.

I purposely wear Uconn gear when I am traveling to competitive states.
Your anecdotal experience mirrors mine, and I suspect many of us. If you wear UConn gear and you run into folks from wherever they will invariably bring up the women's basketball team or they'll just say something about the basketball team and I'll say something like "Hurley is a great coach and he's really turning the program around" and they'll steer it back to the women's team because that's what they meant originally. The average American who's not necessarily a basketball fan knows the UConn Women because they were/are a phenomenon much like Lance Armstrong. A household name so to speak.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Didn't know UConn's MBB fans egos were so fragile. When shone where the women are more popular, you insult the people who make it popular.

The question wasn't who has the "cooler" fans or the fans with the highest testosterone level. The women are very popular. People from other states that don't even follow basketball, know about the Women's team.

And that doesn't have to burn your butts because it takes nothing away from the men's team

As far as a few fans saying dumb things, ever meet a Sox fan?

Reaction Score
Didn't know UConn's MBB fans egos were so fragile. When shone where the women are more popular, you insult the people who make it popular.

The question wasn't who has the "cooler" fans or the fans with the highest testosterone level. The women are very popular. People from other states that don't even follow basketball, know about the Women's team.

And that doesn't have to burn your butts because it takes nothing away from the men's team

As far as a few fans saying dumb things, ever meet a Sox fan?

Yup. David is another creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul