Who has surprised you the most so far this year? Poll | The Boneyard

Who has surprised you the most so far this year? Poll

Who has surprised you the most so far this year?

• Gilbert

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Polley

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Adams

Votes: 213 69.8%
  • Akok

Votes: 44 14.4%
  • Bouknight

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Who has surprised you the most so far this year?

Reaction Score
Has to be Adams.

After last years tentativeness on the offensive side he has really stepped up his game going hard to the hoop along with his outside shot.

I saw the heart and hustle last year but it’s amazing what a years difference makes. He will be a solid 4 year player.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Akok has such a great basketball IQ. He truly understands what he needs to do. I love watching him without the ball. He does those little things that allow the team to win the battle. I wish more players understood this at all levels.

Reaction Score
Akok. I knew he was very talented and his numbers are almost exactly what a lot of us predicted. I just didn't know how freaking hard he plays, how enthusiastic he is, and how fast he is. The way he runs the floor is so impressive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Akok has such a great basketball IQ. He truly understands what he needs to do. I love watching him without the ball. He does those little things that allow the team to win the battle. I wish more players understood this at all levels.

Went with Akok as well. Adams performance compared to last year is night and day.

But Akok has a feel for the game we aren't used to seeing in our players, especially freshmen. He looks like he has been playing stretch four his entire life and never seems overwhelmed by the situation. Calm and collected is his calling card.

Reaction Score
8 boards for Akok, he’s cemented in there. Adams had been good till yesterday, 5 points, no rebounds, 3 TO’s in 20 minutes

Reaction Score
Went with Adams. Last year he looked like a nice kid, good practice player, 12th man on the bench kind of guy. This year he looks like a legitimate rotation player.

Also, Whaley's baseline jump shot looks exactly like Charles Oakley's from the early 1990's Knicks.

Reaction Score
i assumed that adams was going to take a jump this year, even if he took a bigger one than expected.

i never imagined that bouknight would score 15 ppg on 75% shooting in his first four games, though.

Reaction Score
Got to be Adams. I always thought he'd wind up being a consummate program guy, someone who provided a strong presence at the end of the bench and stepped in for a couple minutes when we needed it. Instead, so far this year, he's been a huge contributor, yesterday notwithstanding. For the rest: Polley and Carlton were always expected to improve, and markedly at that. You could argue they've both even exceeded expectations, but they had some expectations in the first place. If anything, Gilbert has been underwhelming this season, but the Iona game was hopefully the first glimpse that he's righted the ship, because boy, do we need him. As for the freshmen, they've both been great and probably better than advertised. But again, they came into the season with some expectations of major contributions; Adams did not. Here's hoping he continues to channel his older brother and keep improving.

Reaction Score
For me, it's Bouknight.

I knew he was a good recruit, but had no idea he would be an absolute stud from the beginning. You'll be seeing this kid on SportsCenter for the next 15 years.

I would have picked Bouknight if I hadn't caught some of his games over the last year. I was blown away, so I can't say I am surprised. So I voted for Akok. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I guess it was something Roscoe-ish, and Akok is so much more than that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm surprised/not surprised that a guy could lead the team in minutes, points, rebounds, FT%, steals, and be 2nd in 3-pointers & assists...and not be listed as an option in the Poll (because such stats aren't really surprising)...and still have running mention that he's not really all that good ("4th best guard"), and that there are contexts in which his stats (except FT%) aren't really as good as they look. I'm grateful for what CV is, and accepting for what he's not

Maybe he comes off poorly in interviews. Give a look. There's an easy link close by in another thread. Plot spoiler: he knows whose team it is, and what his role is.

PS - He's human too. And he knows it.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised/not surprised that a guy could lead the team in minutes, points, rebounds, FT%, steals, and be 2nd in 3-pointers & assists...and not be listed as an option in the Poll (because such stats aren't really surprising)...and still have running mention that he's not really all that good ("4th best guard"), and that there are contexts in which his stats (except FT%) aren't really as good as they look. I'm grateful for what CV is, and accepting for what he's not

Maybe he comes off poorly in interviews. Give a look. There's an easy link close by in another thread. Plot spoiler: he knows whose team it is, and what his role is.

He's not listed in the poll because outside of rebounding and ft's his numbers are the same as last year except he's shooting a significantly worse fg% this year. He seems more in control this year and I think he's better but it isn't anything like the night and day difference we see in Adams.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

yes, this! after some knucklehead here tried to 'explain away' cv's rebounds ('anyone could get them') I went back and watched his boards in the buffalo game. tenacity, grit, and toughness defined. dude just plays hard all the time, and it's contagious.

Reaction Score
Akok, even though the numbers don't show it.

I'm always wary of highly touted big men, especially those who are supposed to be able to shoot and stretch the floor. This kid can shoot, can block shots, and has a great work ethic and intangibles. He has to get stronger and put it all together (poor splits of .391/.308/.500) but he has a chance to be the classic three-year stud that this program has had many times in the past.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He's not listed in the poll because outside of rebounding and ft's his numbers are the same as last year except he's shooting a significantly worse fg% this year. He seems more in control this year and I think he's better but it isn't anything like the night and day difference we see in Adams.
Oh for sure, he has no place whatsoever in the poll.

If the surrounding cast of characters (and he is NOT the center) continues to grow, then his shooting attempts, scoring and minutes will go down, and that may mean a rise in FG%. That would be my fondest hope.

Actually, even fonder, I'd love it if he were to be identified (AG as well) in March as the type of Senior/leadership guards that are indispensable to NCAA Tournament performance.

For now, one game at a time, and continued patience & growing delight with development shown by the coaching staff, the players, the team as a whole, and even this community where you and I share common passion.

Reaction Score
Oh for sure, he has no place whatsoever in the poll.

If the surrounding cast of characters (and he is NOT the center) continues to grow, then his shooting attempts, scoring and minutes will go down, and that may mean a rise in FG%. That would be my fondest hope.

Actually, even fonder, I'd love it if he were to be identified (AG as well) in March as the type of Senior/leadership guards that are indispensable to NCAA Tournament performance.

For now, one game at a time, and continued patience & growing delight with development shown by the coaching staff, the players, the team as a whole, and even this community where you and I share common passion.
Things are coming along nicely. We should be undefeated right now but I think both losses in different ways provided valuable lessons and we've improved/responded really well to both situations. This team has a chance to be very good as the season progresses, IMO.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Things are coming along nicely. We should be undefeated right now but I think both losses in different ways provided valuable lessons and we've improved/responded really well to both situations. This team has a chance to be very good as the season progresses, IMO.

If you saw DH's post game interview, he directly said (maybe even twice) that they would have lost to Iona if not for the more experienced players. And that's a game with a proper 18-point margin, (on a 12.5 spread fwiw).

Disclosure: I still haven't seen the St. Joe's game. I know I won't see Bouknight or Gaffney, and I'm expecting a horrifying first half showing that gave DH a checklist he called, "I have so much to work on" from that post-game interview.

AG is playing far more in accordance with what everybody called for after Xavier. And, it took a too-deep-to-realistically-defend 3 to give X the tie that brought overtime, and thus the chance that they capitalized on. Yes, lots of poor execution after that.

Reaction Score
How could Akok be a surprise as highly rated as he was as a prep .
Adams hands down. Especially after a freshman year that looked like he didn’t belong.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you saw DH's post game interview, he directly said (maybe even twice) that they would have lost to Iona if not for the more experienced players. And that's a game with a proper 18-point margin, (on a 12.5 spread fwiw).

Disclosure: I still haven't seen the St. Joe's game. I know I won't see Bouknight or Gaffney, and I'm expecting a horrifying first half showing that gave DH a checklist he called, "I have so much to work on" from that post-game interview.

AG is playing far more in accordance with what everybody called for after Xavier. And, it took a too-deep-to-realistically-defend 3 to give X the tie that brought overtime, and thus the chance that they capitalized on. Yes, lots of poor execution after that.
The worst part is Adams actually contested it too. Just horrible luck for us.

Reaction Score
A great hustler and a tremendous asset on defense. I am confident he also has an offensive game. He just doesn't seem comfortable on the offensive end. In time it will come.

Reaction Score
Has to be Adams. I think a lot of us thought he would only see 10 minutes or less per game this season, and he has turned out to be one of their best players. Did not see that coming at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom