Who Has Been In Charge at UConn for This Decision To Be Made Between Two Presidential Administrations? | The Boneyard

Who Has Been In Charge at UConn for This Decision To Be Made Between Two Presidential Administrations?

Reaction Score
Once the dust settles from this horrendous series of events, someone should ask who has been in charge at UConn for this decision to be made between two presidential administrations? Is Susan Herbst leading this? Is she still on campus? Is it athletic director Dave? Is it Gov. Lamont, whose family has a library named after them at Harvard? Is it Tom Ritter, who I believe is interim chair of the Board of Trustees ? Most schools would have started the process with a strategic study analyzing costs and benefits. Not knowing what to do with football this late in the process shows massive incompetence. Let alone now lots of information is coming out in the media that suggests the New Big East move may be very shortsighted.

Reaction Score
Though I frequently enjoy devil’s advocacy this time the conspiracy bug in me conceives of those two administrations working double contacts to land a plus deal for football.

Reaction Score
If Tom Ritter is behind this -- maybe it's time to ask for a legislative inquiry. Last I heard, Susan Herbst said in an exit interview she was curious about an on-campus football stadium in Storrs. What happened between that recent statement and now? Something suggests proper procedures were not followed.

Reaction Score
If Tom Ritter is behind this -- maybe it's time to ask for a legislative inquiry. Last I heard, Susan Herbst said in an exit interview she was curious about an on-campus football stadium in Storrs. What happened between that recent statement and now? Something suggests proper procedures were not followed.
Are you implying this whole thing is a liberal conspiracy? L-O-L

Reaction Score

You’re reaching big time...

Go back and read what Herbst really said about an on-campus stadium.

Reaction Score
You’re reaching big time...

Go back and read what Herbst really said about an on-campus stadium.
She said "Rentschler is a beautiful field. It’s just wrongly placed. It wouldn’t take too much imagination to fantasize about football being on the Storrs campus. What kind of numbers and excitement it would bring." That is university president speak for floating the idea. It is about as far as she could go without approval from the Board of Trustees. What did she know back then about what a couple powerful people wanted to do with UConn football?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not a conspiracy, but... here’s my conspiracy.

I get it but let’s see where things end up. If football ends up toe tagged it’s not because of this latest decision it’s because of a decade of cumulatively bad decisions. We’re already mostly dead.

Reaction Score
She said "Rentschler is a beautiful field. It’s just wrongly placed. It wouldn’t take too much imagination to fantasize about football being on the Storrs campus. What kind of numbers and excitement it would bring." That is university president speak for floating the idea. It is about as far as she could go without approval from the Board of Trustees. What did she know back then about what a couple powerful people wanted to do with UConn football?

Full quote from her "exit interview" w/ Jacobs. There was no floating of an idea or proposed remedy to the problem:

“I think we still have to give football a chance,” Herbst said. “Football is a struggle for us. No question about it. We got in it so late in the game (as an FBS program). That’s a struggle. The part of the country we’re in with so many pro teams, that’s a struggle. Probably the biggest struggle is it’s not on campus. Rentschler is a beautiful field. It’s just wrongly placed. It wouldn’t take too much imagination to fantasize about football being on the Storrs campus. What kind of numbers and excitement it would bring. That’s a thing I didn’t understand before I came here. It was baffling. It’s a problem. It’s hard to get students down there. Get on the bus. Wait for the bus. It’s too far.”

Legislative inquiry... sigh.

Reaction Score
I’m confused. What are we talking about?
Susan Herbst, the last UConn president, has left her post or will do so soon. A new president -- who is a top administrator at the University of Virginia -- has yet to be sworn in as UConn's new president. Were just a couple coaches and a couple members of the Board of Trustees meeting with the Big East officials in recent days. Who gave them authorization to do? Was proper process followed? There was even a controversy about whether Tom Ritter, the interim chairman who is believed to be pals with Gov. Lamont, should have been given the chairman's role.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst, the last UConn president, has left her post or will do so soon. A new president -- who is a top administrator at the University of Virginia -- has yet to be sworn in as UConn's new president. Were just a couple coaches and a couple members of the Board of Trustees meeting with the Big East officials in recent days. Who gave them authorization to do? Was proper process followed? There was even a controversy about whether Tom Ritter, the interim chairman who is believed to be pals with Gov. Lamont, should have been given the chairman's role.

Oh sorry, that was me. I authorized the talks.

Reaction Score

It has all the ingredients of a 30 for 30 by our friends at ESPN.

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro from The Day reported today
"Now comes this Big East thing. Nice move for basketball. But athletic department people tell me Mr. Benedict's communication skills are a swing and a miss, evidenced by the number of people blindsided by news of the move to the Big East. I'm told that even some Board of Trustees members were unaware until media reports surfaced Saturday morning about the Big East.
Who's in charge here anyway?"

UConn football set up to fail by people who need to support it the most

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What are you even asking for? Trying to find some gotcha that puts the toothpaste back in the tube? It’s a done deal man. Even more so after the BoT meeting. I suggest you get on living life.

Reaction Score
Under administrative rules, if it is found proper procedures were not followed, the UConn Board of Trustees vote -- if it takes place on Wed -- could be voided -- if need be by a judge/Freedom of Information Commission action.

Reaction Score
Under administrative rules, if it is found proper procedures were not followed, the UConn Board of Trustees vote -- if it takes place on Wed -- could be voided -- if need be by a judge/Freedom of Information Commission action.

I have an idea, call the State Ethics Board... I'm sure they'll jump right on it. They are looking for a win.

Reaction Score
Are you implying this whole thing is a liberal conspiracy? L-O-L
Given liberals have controlled and systematically destroyed the state, it’s good guess.

Reaction Score
Chill out loyal fan. New president know exactly what’s going on. I’m truly sorry they didn’t let you know what’s been going on.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe it. This is just a cover to make this look like it isn’t a foregone conclusion.
I think the board is dictating this. The cost benefit of waiting doesn’t make sense.

I don't disagree @ all...

... if the BOT vote gets postponed (outside an act of God) then it could get interesting.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree @ all...

... if the BOT vote gets postponed (outside an act of God) then it could get interesting.

I think this decision is even too big for a President. The board needs to underwrite the risk and own the decision.

Reaction Score
Chill out loyal fan. New president know exactly what’s going on. I’m truly sorry they didn’t let you know what’s been going on.
Even if new president was kept informed I believe he is not currently a state official so it means nothing in a legal setting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom