Who has a breakout season in 2018? | The Boneyard

Who has a breakout season in 2018?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Too many unknowns about this team for me at this time. I'd like to toss some names after the spring game. Will Eli Thomas and Gardner show us speed and aggressiveness at the LB that we haven't seen in several years? Will Rose show us something at the TE position? Will one of the kids on the three deep at WR surprise us?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Marv. Something tells me we need to find a spot for this young man.

I think he could make a positive impact from ST to a slot/wr hybrid but I'm still in the camp that it should be at QB. He deserves an honest shot at the job before we anoint the young man from Georgia.

Before I get beaten up too bad, I love young Mr. Krajewski! Love him. I just feel Marv has earned his shot.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
In addition to the above: T. Davis, Van Demark, and hopefully Coyle (best speed in the secondary by far).

Davis is really athletic and has good hands. Dunns philosophy will prob involve TEs more with play action stuff over the middle

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Too many unknowns about this team for me at this time. I'd like to toss some names after the spring game. Will Eli Thomas and Gardner show us speed and aggressiveness at the LB that we haven't seen in several years? Will Rose show us something at the TE position? Will one of the kids on the three deep at WR surprise us?

Rose is a mystery. Insanely talented athlete in high school. I hope he sees time on offense

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If we get two cracks at it, I'll go with Mensah and Pindell. I think now that both have a year under their belts, we're gonna see a big "sophomore bump"...

(Yes, even though I know Pindell is a JUCO)

Reaction Score
Who do you all see as having a big season next year? My two guesses would be Beavers and Dixon
Dixon, Coyle, maybe Rose, Mensah, Beavers. Some good candidates at QB, but that needs to play out. A few weeks into the season I would add five freshman on defense, Travis Jones, Kevon Jones, Pierce DeVaughn, Lawal Uguak, Hunter Webb. I don't think HCRE can afford to redshirt any of them this year as much as he would want to, with the possible exception of Webb. In my experience in high school and college football, it usually was easier for talented freshman defensive players to adjust to getting thrown into the game on the defensive line or linebacking corp than in the backfield. If I'm right and our defensive line does surprise, that gives the defensive backfield something they didn't have last year, a defensive front that can legitimately pressure opposing QB's. Last year it was open season on the defensive backfield with opposing QB's having time to read War and Peace, yes open field tackling, with the exception of Coyle, was an issue, but this season I think there will be more interceptions and more than the one pick six (Coyle) we had last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Peart is going to have the best Oline player season we've ever seen and he's gonna be out highest draft pick yet

Reaction Score
I’m going to go with Bebe Olaniyan on defense. If I’m remembering correctly, there were some reports that he would’ve played a key role in the secondary if not for an injury suffered early on.

On offense, I think Donovan Williams makes a nice jump. After a year at receiver, I think he’ll fit nicely into the offense at his size.

Reaction Score
The season turns on 3 things. 1) Having a quality QB (Krajewski is going to be great but not as a freshman, meaning Pindell has to step-up a level), 2) the D line and LB corps need to be at least competitive up front and filling gaps, 3) the DBs need to be able to cover and tackle in open space.

The Oline, ironically is not high on the worry list. The backfield and receivers will be decent. The QB just needs to make the reads and deliver a good ball.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the answer is, but I know we DESPERATELY need that person to be on defense, somewhere.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We need a defensive lineman to step up and take the bull by the horns and do the job.

My other players who I think will step up are Rose at TE, Tarbutt. K, Skanes. WR and Beavers at LB

Reaction Score
The season turns on 3 things. 1) Having a quality QB (Krajewski is going to be great but not as a freshman, meaning Pindell has to step-up a level), 2) the D line and LB corps need to be at least competitive up front and filling gaps, 3) the DBs need to be able to cover and tackle in open space.

The Oline, ironically is not high on the worry list. The backfield and receivers will be decent. The QB just needs to make the reads and deliver a good ball.

I'm also of the opinion that we would benefit from having Pindell make a jump with another year of experience and adjusting to the personnel. But now he has to adjust to a new OC, hopefully not a radical change. Would also like to get the benefit of both Pindell and Washington seeing the field in some capacity (based on what we think we see in Washington) because you don't want to leave your talent on the sidelines.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm also of the opinion that we would benefit from having Pindell make a jump with another year of experience and adjusting to the personnel. But now he has to adjust to a new OC, hopefully not a radical change. Would also like to get the benefit of both Pindell and Washington seeing the field in some capacity (based on what we think we see in Washington) because you don't want to leave your talent on the sidelines.

I wish I believed in Pindell, but I just don't see it. Good wheels, but not accurate and no deep ball, lots of INTs. We'll see

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom