Who finishes? | The Boneyard

Who finishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There have been several threads in the past discussing UConn's starting lineup. KML is currently third on the team in minutes played, despite not starting.

What is more important is who is in the game at the end of a close game. So, in the interest of discussion, who do you think will be in the game at the end of tight games?

I think it will be Dolson, Hayes, Hartley, and KML for sure. So, it is between Doty and Faris. I think it depends on the situation. If UConn is slightly behind, I think Doty plays, for her offense. If UConn is ahead, protecting a lead, I think Farris plays for her defense.

Any thoughts?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At the finish I expect that it will be Faris because she brings the shut down defense that is needed at crunch time and there is plenty of fire power among the other four in a variety of ways. Dolson, Faris, KML, Hayes and Hartley are never going to hurt UConn's chances. I do think there are situation in which one would consider CD' and even some where I might consider Heather as an additional defensive asset, such as, wanting two bigs to front and rear double Griner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If we are trailing, we need offense on the floor. And no one is more offensive than KML. I mean that in a good way. :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Faris can also be a pretty clutch player offensively...last year's ND game in South Bend proved that.

Reaction Score
You are hoping a player who has averaged 7 points per game over 63 games will provide the needed offense? There are many reasons she should be one the floor but to provide significant offense is not one of them. Surely she will provie more offense than Faris, however, Faris does more of everything else. The other four can provide the needed offense.
I think it will be Dolson, Hayes, Hartley, and KML for sure. So, it is between Doty and Faris. I think it depends on the situation. If UConn is slightly behind, I think Doty plays, for her offense. If UConn is ahead, protecting a lead, I think Farris plays for her defense. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
At Big East and NCAA tournament time the starters will be the same: Stef, Tiff, Caroline, Kelly, Bria. Those playing the most minutes will be: Stef, Bria, Kaleena, Tiff, Kiah.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think it depends on the game Tiff is having. If she's playing under control and contributing with her defense and rebounding then Tiff is in the lineup. If she's not, then Caroline is in the lineup with KML, Bria, Stef and Kelly. This presumes that no one is in foul trouble.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You are hoping a player who has averaged 7 points per game over 63 games will provide the needed offense? There are many reasons she should be one the floor but to provide significant offense is not one of them. Surely she will provie more offense than Faris, however, Faris does more of everything else. The other four can provide the needed offense.
Maybe is has to do with her terrific passing skills and overall smart play?

Reaction Score
I don't see Doty finishing many games, if for no reason other than health. Kiah presents an interesting possibility, with a high post/low post game a real advantage against some teams. Obviously, she needs to dveelop, but maybe, if UConn is lucky, by the end of the season.....

Reaction Score
I think Hartley, Dolson, and KML will always be in the game at the end.

And I think it'll depend on how Doty, Faris, Hayes, and Maybe even Kia are playing. My guess is Faris will be in the game more often than not. And it's really between Hayes and Doty.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, let's look at the Stanford game. Dolson subbed for Stokes with 5:46 left, and the score 57-51. Who else was in? Doty, Hayes, Hartley, and KML. The next sub wasn't until 2:28 left, and the score 64-53. Farris subbed for Doty. (Farris had subbed out at 10:29)

Reaction Score
Maybe is has to do with her terrific passing skills and overall smart play?
I will take Faris' "terrific passing skills and overall smart play" over Doty's any day any time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will take Faris' "terrific passing skills and overall smart play" over Doty's any day any time.
Did I mention Faris in any of my posts? I thought the question was why Doty might be in the game at the end. I am really not a fan of pitting UConn player against UConn player. That seems to be what you have turned this into.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did I mention Faris in any of my posts? I thought the question was why Doty might be in the game at the end. I am really not a fan of pitting UConn player against UConn player. That seems to be what you have turned this into.

Well if you are going to pick the 5 players to be on the court at the end, it pretty much is UConn player against UConn player.

Personally I am beginning to think Doty is going to have a year kinda like a combination of Hunter/Greene. Like Hunter we get out of her what we can, some days may be more than others. And like Greene, she won't really be back full force until her 2nd year back (next year).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well if you are going to pick the 5 players to be on the court at the end, it pretty much is UConn player against UConn player.

Personally I am beginning to think Doty is going to have a year kinda like a combination of Hunter/Greene. Like Hunter we get out of her what we can, some days may be more than others. And like Greene, she won't really be back full force until her 2nd year back (next year).
But you can be positive in assessing why someone would be good to have out there without trashing another player.

I had great seats on Wednesday and watched Caroline very closely and she is moving around great. I don't see any favoring of the leg. She just looks a little rusty. I would not be so quick to say that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
\

Kalana struggled early in the season after coming back from her injury but she was back in full force (scoring double digits) by the end of that season. Doty is a different player than Greene and less dependent on her athleticism than Kalana was/is. I do think Doty is struggling a bit as she regains her confidence and figures out what she needs to do to be effective on the court. I wouldn't expect that she'd have it figured out by the 7th game.

Reaction Score
But you can be positive in assessing why someone would be good to have out there without trashing another player.

I had great seats on Wednesday and watched Caroline very closely and she is moving around great. I don't see any favoring of the leg. She just looks a little rusty. I would not be so quick to say that.

Sorry, DD. I don't see that M7 was trashing anyone. I love CD as much as anyone and wish her in there. But she is not back yet. In fact on Wednesday I commented to my partner that she seemed to be favoring her knee. Her lateral movement was not as fluid as in previous games. She has a heart and will as big as the XL and when she wants move she can with fluidity and speed, but I noticed when she was off the ball or when play ended she had a more pronounced I-don't-want-it-to-show limp than in other games. Perhaps it was the uninspiring opponent or the lack of the usual warm-ups. I hope.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sorry, DD. I don't see that M7 was trashing anyone. I love CD as much as anyone and wish her in there. But she is not back yet. In fact on Wednesday I commented to my partner that she seemed to be favoring her knee. Her lateral movement was not as fluid as in previous games. She has a heart and will as big as the XL and when she wants move she can with fluidity and speed, but I noticed when she was off the ball or when play ended she had a more pronounced I-don't-want-it-to-show limp than in other games. Perhaps it was the uninspiring opponent or the lack of the usual warm-ups. I hope.
I didn't say he was. There were other posts doing that, and it's just my opinion.

No one said Doty was back. And I disagree about favoring the knee. Being so close up and not needing the camera to show me what she was doing, I really got a good look.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

True, but you kinda gotta compare them. Or decide why one over another.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect that she'd have it figured out by the 7th game.

Agreed and maybe won't be "completely" back until next season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
True, but you kinda gotta compare them. Or decide why one over another.
I get that. I guess I'm saying it's the way you compare them.
IMHO, "I will take Faris' "terrific passing skills and overall smart play" over Doty's any day any time." is a little harsh.

Reaction Score
No you did not mention Faris by name. However by referring your post to a previous post which you did implied pitting one against another. The original wanted to know who would be the starters at the end of the season. Does this or does not pit player against player since one must choose one player over another. If you don't like to pit one player against another then don't participate on such posts. Everyone's opinion is allowed even Meyers7 and me. BTW, what advance medical degree do you have that allows you to observe a player and determine if they are favoring a knee or not?

Reaction Score
I personally do not like KF and CD on the floor at the same time. I think Kia is being drastically underused at this point. If you are going to utilize a 4 guard set , they all should be scoring threats. Show me the last 4 guard set that won a championship anywhere. Good tournament teams will force huskies to play half court sets. Board play will be big.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I personally do not like KF and CD on the floor at the same time. I think Kia is being drastically underused at this point. If you are going to utilize a 4 guard set , they all should be scoring threats. Show me the last 4 guard set that won a championship anywhere. Good tournament teams will force huskies to play half court sets. Board play will be big.
UConn 2010 - Moore, Hayes, Doty, Faris, Charles only one player above 6 foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom