Who Coud This Be Now? | The Boneyard

Who Coud This Be Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"It's tough as her teammate and as her friend to see her be so hard on herself and be so emotional about things," UConn forward Gabby Williams said. "She doesn't have to be and sometimes she just blows things way out of perspective that don't have to be that big. The only person that can get her out of that is herself. Tonight she did that."

Why that toughie that Geno had to tell last year: "There is no crying in UConn basketball."

Little goals lead to big game for Nurse

Yeah, I see it. I have a codd.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is a fact from the article about Saniya, not Kia, that I never would have guessed:

"In 97 minutes over her last four games, Saniya Chong has 13 assists and one turnover. The senior guard leads the American Athletic Conference in assist-to-turnover ratio at plus-6.3."

That's really quite impressive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is a fact from the article about Saniya, not Kia, that I never would have guessed:

"In 97 minutes over her last four games, Saniya Chong has 13 assists and one turnover. The senior guard leads the American Athletic Conference in assist-to-turnover ratio at plus-6.3."

That's really quite impressive.

Yeah, but, fact of the matter is Saniya's hesitancy continues to be a factor on ball movement, so , yes, stats say she's safe; watch the game and say: "Why the deuce didn't she put it in there?" The stat you sight has her making an assist every 7+ minutes she's on the court.

Reaction Score
Didn't Geno say before the LSU (it might have been during the halftime segment on ESPN - I can't remember which) that Kia's biggest problem to start the season was thinking too much due to being overwhelmed by the pressure this year? It's the first time she's had this much pressure on her, and there's no safety net or security of the Big 3 this year. This is her team now and it's understandable that it got to her head.

This game was nice to see from her: she was in the zone, she was focused, and she was absolute DYNAMITE both offensively and defensively for the majority of the game. I was at the game and let me say, when they announced the starting lineup, there were quite a few fans around me questioning why Kia was still in the starting 5 even though her first games were mediocre at best. At the end of the first quarter, I think they ate their words. :p

I don't expect her to have huge 33 point games the rest of the season, but I do expect her fire to come back tenfold. She's got more fire and drive in her than the other 9 players on the court at any time, even if that fire was a little dim to start the season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, but, fact of the matter is Saniya's hesitancy continues to be a factor on ball movement, so , yes, stats say she's safe; watch the game and say: "Why the deuce didn't she put it in there?" The stat you sight has her making an assist every 7+ minutes she's on the court.
Whereas Gabby had one assist every 2.5 minutes last night, to go along with one turnover every 4.2 minutes!!! :eek::rolleyes:
Some stats for the year:
Chong: A/TO 6.3, assist 19, minutes/assist 7.3, Minutes/TO 46.3 Effective: assists-TO/minute - 8.7
Dangerfield: A/TO 2.1, assist 19, minutes/assist 6.3, Minutes/TO 13.3 Effective 12.0
Nurse: A/TO 2.3, assists 27, minutes/assist 7.3, Minutes/TO 16.4 Effective 13.1
Williams: A/TO 1.5 assists 26, minutes/assist 5.7 Minutes/TO 8.8 Effective 16.6

Team: A/TO 1.5 assist 129, minutes/assist 9.3, Minutes/TO 14.1 Effective 27.3
Moriah last year A/TO 2.8, assists 204, minutes/assist 5.6, Minutes/TO 15.9, Effective 8.6

All told Chong is pretty effective managing the ball - fewer assist per minute but an effective assist rate of statistically identical to Moriah's last year and better than anyone else on the team this year.
I agree she could be a little more aggressive with her passes, but it is a trade-off, and it is the same one that gets made on taking open shots vs. waiting to get a better open shot. Uconn is famous for its patience. Maybe Chong has taken the patience a little too far, but it is a delicate balance.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whereas Gabby had one assist every 2.5 minutes last night, to go along with one turnover every 4.2 minutes!!! :eek::rolleyes:
Some stats for the year:
Chong: A/TO 6.3, assist 19, minutes/assist 7.3, Minutes/TO 46.3 Effective: assists-TO/minute - 8.7
Dangerfield: A/TO 2.1, assist 19, minutes/assist 6.3, Minutes/TO 13.3 Effective 12.0
Nurse: A/TO 2.3, assists 27, minutes/assist 7.3, Minutes/TO 16.4 Effective 13.1
Williams: A/TO 1.5 assists 26, minutes/assist 5.7 Minutes/TO 8.8 Effective 16.6

Team: A/TO 1.5 assist 129, minutes/assist 9.3, Minutes/TO 14.1 Effective 27.3
Moriah last year A/TO 2.8, assists 204, minutes/assist 5.6, Minutes/TO 15.9, Effective 8.6

All told Chong is pretty effective managing the ball - fewer assist per minute but an effective assist rate of statistically identical to Moriah's last year and better than anyone else on the team this year.
I agree she could be a little more aggressive with her passes, but it is a trade-off, and it is the same one that gets made on taking open shots vs. waiting to get a better open shot. Uconn is famous for its patience. Maybe Chong has taken the patience a little too far, but it is a delicate balance.

Do not confuse the issue with facts! I know what I see. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog