Who are UConn's Top 5 Football Rivalries? | The Boneyard

Who are UConn's Top 5 Football Rivalries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The game last night got me to thinking about the question of our biggest football rivalries of all time. I'd love to hear from all of the scholars of the Boneyard on the topic. Who do you think are our top 5 biggest football rivalries, in what order, and why?

Keep in mind that I don't believe there are any right or wrong answers on this one. I'm not going to act like an old fart and call you crazy if you don't include UMass or other Yankee Conference foes in that assessment. If your list is five Big East teams, then so be it. I'd just love to hear the answers...

Reaction Score
I'll bite but with the following disclaimer- its hard to get to 5 o I stopped at 4
1-Rutgirls-Seems to be a battle every year, both of us think the NYC market is ours, records never seem to matter
2-Umass-historical, close proximity to campus, I hope we play them every year
3-BC-bad blood from old days, close proximity- really hope this series gets added down the road.
4-USF- i know its kind of a stretch but we have ruined there season enough over the last 4-5 years that there is a rivalry brewing. That and the fact that Florida teams don't believe they can loose to anyone from northeast

Reaction Score
1. Rutgers
2. Syracuse
3. UMass
4. Yale
5. URI?

I left out BC because we only played them 3 times.

You have to consider the teams you play against today as the top rivals. Rutgers is our natural rival in my opinion. The games are always competitive and there's a general dislike among the fanbases. We never really latched on to any other Big East programs other than maybe Cuse, and they're gonzo after this year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Right now, I'd say Rutgers, USF, Temple, Syracuse and I'm struggling to come up with a fifth. Hopefully in a few years UMass and BC will be on the list, and either some NNBE, ACC or Big Ten rivalries beginning.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I've only been following the team for around seven or eight years so I expect my answer to be very different from Carl or other's who have far more history with the team.

1) Rutgers - close games, proximity, no single dominant team in head to head record and true animosity between fan bases for the most part
2) BC - even though we haven't played in recent years, proximity, the lawsuit, conference realignment bad blood and fan animosity are all very good on this one
3) Pitt - close games, relatively equal overall head to head record (I think) and a long time Big East rivalry in bball but unfortunately I see this "rivalry" disappearing very soon due to the move to the ACC
4) Temple - please don't laugh at me here, I know there isn't a ton of history here and they've only won one game (albeit the most recent) but I could see Temple, Rutgers and UConn making a very nice three-way rivalry - proximity, some close games with controversial calls (was he out of bounds or not? Was he still juggling the ball?) and it connects the Philly, Jersey, NY, CT corridor
5) UMass - this is based more on potential rather than where things stand right now but the proximity can't get any better and they have the potential to get a lot better pretty quickly - I definitely would like to see an annual game here

Big takeaway is that we really don't have much in the way of long-term rivals which makes complete sense given our history. There is lots of potential though if we can get UMass and BC on a more regular basis going forward.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) Rutgers

It can get there again with UMass... BC too, but they haven't been on the schedule for a long time.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I forgot to put my own! Here are mine:

1) UMass - the history between these two schools could only be argued to be second to the UConn-URI series, and now that they have joined the ranks of 1-A football, it appears that it could re-ignite, depending on the circumstances. I've felt that there has always been a thing between the two states, where we call them "Mas" and they call us "Connectic%$ts." (I'm too classy to type that friggin' word out). It is the best blend of past and perhaps present.
2) Rutgers - whether the state university of New Jersey wishes to admit it or not, this is a great rivalry. Two teams that are battling for respect and for northeastern prospects, trying to win the much-coveted battleground of NYC, and playing tight games throughout (last year not withstanding). There is always a buzz when this game is played, and deservedly so.
3) Syracuse - almost everything that I have said about Rutgers applies to Syracuse as well. The team that used to stroll into CT and take whatever player they wanted has now taken a nice backseat to the Huskies after we've beaten them countless times. It's sad to see this one go away, but who knows.
4) BC - I hate to call something a rivalry when we haven't really played each other, but in every sense of the word, there is true "hate" between these two programs. If and when the next UConn-BC matchup is scheduled on the gridiron, there is no doubt in my mind that there would be a buzz about it that would be extraordinary. Their spot as a rival would be much much higher if not for the fact that we just don't play them.
5) URI - most of what I've said about UMass applies to URI. They are certainly our longest rival, at over 90 games, but they have remained in 1-AA mediocrity and this game will likely never be played again. Our little brother-state to the east has dropped down the list, and perhaps they even deserve to be dropped off of it at this point.

Honorable mention: Yale, Pitt, USF.

Reaction Score
I think Rutgers is the only relevant rival that we have right now. Its fair to say that both teams are evenly matched most years, compete for the same recruits, close to each other, fan bases have a strong dislike for each other, etc. Syracuse? Haven't beaten us in what, 6 years? BC? Afraid to play. UMass? Has potential, but I personally feel the basketball side has much more venom. After these 4 squads I guess the next closest thing to a rival would be USF, as noted above. Maryland has some real potential though.

Rutgers is the only team I view as a rival.

Reaction Score
Rutgers
USF
Cincy
Syracuse (To be replaced by any ACC or Big 12 team)
Pitt (see Syracuse)

BCU isn't a rivalry. The dumped the BE and put themselves with no geographic rivals. Leave 'em that way. Syracuse & Pitt will be in the same boat, but we've played them a lot.

UMass? Rhody? Seriously, we left them behind in the CAA and the old Yankee Conference.

Yale? Maybe in the 50's and 60's. Rivalry died long ago.

So like it or not our biggest rivalries are the BE opponents. Then anyone from the ACC, except BCU, Syracuse and Pitt.

Reaction Score
We don't have a true rivalry right now.

Any rivalry you can come up with, is either historical, or hypothetical, or a product of being a Big East conference member, adn the big east has been in such flux in the past 9 years, that it's remarkable that programs like USF/Rutgers/Louisville/Cincinatti and UConn have built up what we've got as far as rivalry. It's all just a beginning though.

I personally can't wait for SMU to come to Rentschler. But I"m a minority. Anyway, to try to answer the question.

University of New Jersey - recent history - some killer games, for many reasons, over the past few years + they've played in teh pinstripe, and we haven't yet. but then again, we've played in the fiesta, and had a share of the title twice so far.....
Yale - there was a time when the only thing that mattered in a UConn football season - was the Yale game.
South Florida - we are to south florida, as west virginia was to us.

Truthfully, I can't come up with anything after that, that isn't a product of being in a conference for long time together. URI, UMass, Louisiville, Cincinatti - all have potential - but it's all new.

UMass has potential, lots of history, pluse a lot of cross sports stuff - basketball and football.

Building rivalry, is a huge part of the big east conference moving forward.

Very interesting question. Big difference between reality, and hypotheticals.

Reaction Score
BC sold their soul to the devil for $ and now has NO rivals.

It is a complete geographical outlier in the conference depsite the fact that next year there will be 3 schools closer than Tallahassee is to Miami.
But seriously,
1) ND -both teams could suck and no matter where the two play it'll be sold out.
2) VT -rival from the BE days. Due to the ACCs scheduling we play every year. We've had some classics, Vick running all over us (NCAA still plays those highlights) to Matt Ryan's miracle comeback, multiple ACC CGs, etc.
3) Miami -another rival back from BE days. Obviously you have the most replayed college football play ever. They also have some moments in their domination of us in the 90s/00s (Ed Reed ripping the ball away from a teammate in the middle of a 99 yard INT return as BC was about to take the lead on #1 Miami late). Despite both teams sucking (for various reasons) it's always a marquee game -last year ABC, this year ABC
4) Cuse -I believe the current D1 team we've played the most over the years. A 12 year deal was in place pre expansion, the 2004 game really sealed TOBs fate amongst most the fans.
5) I'd be stretching too far to find a 5th (Clemson?)

Makes sense that UConn and BC be doing something that they originally thought was going to happen 15 years ago then huh? Playing football regularly.

There's that thing about politics, personal egos and ESPN that got in the way.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pre-FBS rivalries don't count. Sorry to all the Yankee conference old timers. It was a clean break.

Second, being only a decade old, we can't have that many rivals, we'd be stretching the meaning of the word.

#1 BC, ainec. That fact that we haven't played since 2003 only makes it stronger.

#2 Rutgers as the lone remaining member of the OBE it might seem a rivalry by default but the on the field results and jockeying for position as the better area program make this one legit.

I wouldn't consider anyone else to be a true rival for various reasons, but the honorable mentions would go.something like this:

Louisville - built on a single unforgettable punt return and the familiarity of the realignment wars. A nice start, but no really a rivalry.

Syracuse - longtime BB rival, fellow Noreaster, yellow bellied cowards for ditching ( wish it was us). But, they've stunk for the entirety of our BCS existence. Thanks for the wins to help us build our street cred, but call us when you are a real FB team and we'll talk.

PITT - See above, only add in some really competitive games. See you when we see you.

USF - other than beating them in the snow and a couple GW Teggart FGs, one clinching the championship on their field there is not much that says rivalry.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Rutgers
Syracuse
Can't think of a 3rd.

BC would be there if we played.

Reaction Score
RU - They are a public state school just like us. They are our #1 rival right now. I can't stand them and we are both always competing for recruits and the NYC market.
SU - Cause I love to kick their butts every year.
UL - Can't stand their fanbase ever since the UNFAIR catch thing. Also, they think they are all that when they haven't done much in the BE for football.
UMASS - Long history. It could turn into something.
BCU - We don't play them so they don't really count. We hate them though.
Temple - Could get there if we play more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I forgot to put my own! Here are mine:

1) UMass - the history between these two schools could only be argued to be second to the UConn-URI series, and now that they have joined the ranks of 1-A football, it appears that it could re-ignite, depending on the circumstances. I've felt that there has always been a thing between the two states, where we call them "Mas" and they call us "Connectic%$ts." (I'm too classy to type that friggin' word out). It is the best blend of past and perhaps present.
2) Rutgers - whether the state university of New Jersey wishes to admit it or not, this is a great rivalry. Two teams that are battling for respect and for northeastern prospects, trying to win the much-coveted battleground of NYC, and playing tight games throughout (last year not withstanding). There is always a buzz when this game is played, and deservedly so.
3) Syracuse - almost everything that I have said about Rutgers applies to Syracuse as well. The team that used to stroll into CT and take whatever player they wanted has now taken a nice backseat to the Huskies after we've beaten them countless times. It's sad to see this one go away, but who knows.
4) BC - I hate to call something a rivalry when we haven't really played each other, but in every sense of the word, there is true "hate" between these two programs. If and when the next UConn-BC matchup is scheduled on the gridiron, there is no doubt in my mind that there would be a buzz about it that would be extraordinary. Their spot as a rival would be much much higher if not for the fact that we just don't play them.
5) URI - most of what I've said about UMass applies to URI. They are certainly our longest rival, at over 90 games, but they have remained in 1-AA mediocrity and this game will likely never be played again. Our little brother-state to the east has dropped down the list, and perhaps they even deserve to be dropped off of it at this point.

Honorable mention: Yale, Pitt, USF.

It's funny, but I thought about my top 5 list a little bit, and after reading some of the comments, I have already changed my mind on them. For one, Rutgers absolutely has to be #1 and not #2. I think that much is clear, and I think that most of our fanbase feels that way also. I also think that URI cannot be considered, even with a century of memories, because there is no chance that we'd play again. We've forgotten about them already, and they've forgotten about us, I'm sure. Finally, if BC were to play us tomorrow, there would be so much buzz that it would make UConn-Syracuse basketball look tame. So the revised list for me is:

1) Rutgers
2) BC
3) Syracuse
4) UMass
5) USF (lots of great games, plus the winning kick to put us into the BCS)

Great points on the thread, everyone.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
I just gotta say that Rutgers is 5-2 vs UConn since the new iteration of the BE formed in 2005... So NO... on the field results in terms of wins and losses is NOT close... However I must concede that most of the games sans our 2 losses (2007, 2011) were close...

I would say in the near future for football it would be

1. Temple [18-16, started play: 1948]
2. UConn [21-10, started play: 1940]
3. Army [20-18, started play: 1891]
4. Navy [12-11-1, started play: 1891]

Currently it would be:
1. Syracuse [11-30-1, started play: 1914] 5-2 since 2005
2. UConn [21-10, started play: 1940] 5-2 since 2005
3. Pittsburgh [8-21, started play: 1981] 5-2 since 2005
4. Army [20-18, started play: 1891] 7-0 since 2000
5. Navy [12-11-1, started play: 1891] 7-2 since 2000

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I just gotta say that Rutgers is 5-2 vs UConn since the new iteration of the BE formed in 2005... So NO... on the field results in terms of wins and losses is NOT close... However I must concede that most of the games sans our 2 losses (2007, 2011) were close...

Currently it would be:

Hey , how convenient for you to leave off three of UConn's wins against you, two of which were in Piscataway. You know what the real sign is that we are both rivals? When a rival fan comes on to your fanboard to post his messages!! Welcome, rival!! :D

2001 UConn, 20-19
2002 UConn, 38-31
2004 UConn, 41-35
2005 Rutgers, 26-24
2006 Rutgers, 24-13
2007 UConn, 38-19
2008 Rutgers, 12-10
2009 Rutgers, 28-24
2010 Rutgers, 27-24
2011 UConn, 40-22

I hope the last one burns your until we play again this year, my rival friend! :cool:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The game last night got me to thinking about the question of our biggest football rivalries of all time. I'd love to hear from all of the scholars of the Boneyard on the topic. Who do you think are our top 5 biggest football rivalries, in what order, and why?

Rutgers, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Why? Because in honor of Carl and Butchy, nothing before 2002 is relevant and these are the five teams we have played most often and probably have had our most memorable games against.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Currently it would be:

Pretty convenient that the current results against the service academies began in 2000 while current results against Syracuse, UConn & Pitt didn't start until 2005.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm thinking somewhat like Samcro:

Rutgers
Cuse
Pitt

No other school warrants consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online