Who’s guarding Z | The Boneyard

Who’s guarding Z

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Yikes very impressive! As Dan Patrick would say, you can't stop her, you can only hope to contain her. She can take bigs outside, and score inside on smaller players. One beauty of this year's team is that there are at least four matchup nightmares!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stevens is a matchup nightmare

This 37 second video will give the coaches on UConn's schedule this season nightmares. It was impressive how effortlessly she shot the ball from beyond the arc.
It's bad enough to have to defend one long range sniper. To try and defend two is impossible. You can't double team both of them. That would leave either Gabby or Napheesa alone under the basket. We already know what Lou is capable of (10 in a row) when she gets in rhythm, AZ looked pretty good to me in this short video.

If you're a UConn fan, you love this. If you're an opponent, it's scary, and you should be afraid, very afraid. Three or four of these in the first quarter, and you can find yourself down double digits early. I have a feeling UConn Nation will be seeing a lot of this type of play from AZ ALL season. That first look will come in only 2 more days. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal has the potential to be a good 3-point shooter. I'm not sure what Gabby will do this year, but Kia and Lou are already elite shooters, and Pheesa was efficient from everywhere. Add in Azura, and we'll have 4-5 long-range bombers on the court at the same time. Think Golden State.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Again we have the potential for 5 players to score in double figures every game. Reality says that will not be the case but our opponents will have to play it that way.

This type of scoring potential takes away several types of defense teams like to use to slow down or shut down players like Z. I think many will try to zone us to take away the lane and down low. It usually doesn't work well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
After watching the video, I say: no, it is not fair to let UConn has so many talent players.

Wait a minute Kaizen. Let's win 3 more NC's before you start talking like that. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Again we have the potential for 5 players to score in double figures every game. Reality says that will not be the case but our opponents will have to play it that way.

This type of scoring potential takes away several types of defense teams like to use to slow down or shut down players like Z. I think many will try to zone us to take away the lane and down low. It usually doesn't work well.

When you've got 5 players who can score in double figures every night, who do you choose to concentrate on? Who do you designate as "we've got to stop _______"??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If this were Z as an incoming freshman, I'd think: looks fantastic, but let's wait for her to play against real competition.

But Z has already proven herself in competition. And now she has a tremendous number of other players with fantastic fire power to keep the defense honest. I know that Kaizen really doesn't mean that it's unfair, but I know why he said it. Wow.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
If this were Z as an incoming freshman, I'd think: looks fantastic, but let's wait for her to play against real competition.

But Z has already proven herself in competition. And now she has a tremendous number of other players with fantastic fire power to keep the defense honest. I know that Kaizen really doesn't mean that it's unfair, but I know why he said it. Wow.....

One more thing to remember Bags, she NEVER was surrounded by this much talent at Duke. She's gotta be loving this. :cool:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our guys should not be encountering any double teams this year. If so things will get out of hand quickly.

Out of hand quickly is an understatement. It will be a slaughter!

Reaction Score
When you've got 5 players who can score in double figures every night, who do you choose to concentrate on? Who do you designate as "we've got to stop _______"??

I don't think it's a question of "we've got to stop.....". If the team listens to Geno they'll try to give the ball to whomever has the best shot. In other words, they'll take whatever the other team gives them and try to shut them down on the other end. Would not want to try to defense this year's team - as noted, it seems that practically everyone can score from just about anywhere. However, I think they may well beat themselves a time or two, until this group becomes their own unique team, particularly on defense.

Reaction Score
So who will jump the ball this year? Gabby or Z?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
After watching the video, I say: no, it is not fair to let UConn has so many talent players.
Yeah, who gives a hit about fair. Ain't it great?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom