Whitmers coming back Per Dez. That is good news. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmers coming back Per Dez. That is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Protection was better but Casey's quick read and release made it look even better.

Probably the most underrated statement I have seen on this board in a while! There is no doubt that a QB can make the O line look 100 times better or worse by his ability to read, adjust, and execute a playcall.

IMO ... Whitmer coming back can do nothing but help this program. Judging by his sideline demeanor, he stayed engaged and positive throughout a pretty difficult situation. No matter who is named the starter next fall ... they, and the team, will be better off because Whitmer remained a member of this team.

Reaction Score
This is good news and Whitmer has shown a lot of class throughout his ordeal. He has talent and he may very well win the spot or contribute next season. P and GDL put him in a terrible spot given how totally inept they have proven to be. I don't fault Weist for sitting him, but I do wonder if we wouldn't have won the USF game if Chandler got the start.

That all said, there is no doubt that Cochran sees the field better than any QB we've seen on this roster. Will be very interesting.

Reaction Score
Protection was better but Casey's quick read and release made it look even better.

Agree , quick read and release was the main reason why Casey was way more effective than the other QB's and why sacks were way down.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is good news and Whitmer has shown a lot of class throughout his ordeal. He has talent and he may very well win the spot or contribute next season. P and GDL put him in a terrible spot given how totally inept they have proven to be.

Very true. Whitmer was never the same after GDL sent him in at WR to get plastered after he was already woozy.

Reaction Score
Very true. Whitmer was never the same after GDL sent him in at WR to get plastered after he was already woozy.

I couldn't believe it when they called that play against UMASS late in the game.

Then, when they called it against Cincy I became firmly convinced those guys were just plain incompetent.

Reaction Score
I still think Cochran is a better QB. You're telling me Whitmer would put up the same numbers in those last three games. I don't think there is any chance.

Reaction Score
I still think Cochran is a better QB. You're telling me Whitmer would put up the same numbers in those last three games. I don't think there is any chance.

??????

I don't think anybody said any such thing.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Whitmer learned by watching Casey, the same way Frazer learned by watching Endres. Whitmer never utilized the check downs the way Casey did, and Whitmer stares down his primary receiver which draws the defense, Casey looks away from his primary receiver. Those (in theory) are correctable flaws.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What do any of you see for McCummings ,who I assume is back after his injury year? Position change? Special packages (but more imaginative than the pretty much 1 note Wildcat he was used for), no PT at all barring injuries?

Reaction Score
What do any of you see for McCummings ,who I assume is back after his injury year? Position change? Special packages (but more imaginative than the pretty much 1 note Wildcat he was used for), no PT at all barring injuries?
I honestly don't see him playing at all unless he transfers. I think he is done with football at UCONN.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't see him playing at all unless he transfers. I think he is done with football at UCONN.
With our lack of depth at TE, I wouldn't be shocked if he is used as H-back/tight end hybrid, if he sticks around.

Reaction Score
With our lack of depth at TE, I wouldn't be shocked if he is used as H-back/tight end hybrid, if he sticks around.
If he is going to play he was going to have to put in a TON of effort to get in shape. My perception from his quotes when he got hurt was that he was going to get his degree and move on. You never know.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Whitmer learned by watching Casey, the same way Frazer learned by watching Endres. Whitmer never utilized the check downs the way Casey did, and Whitmer stares down his primary receiver which draws the defense, Casey looks away from his primary receiver. Those (in theory) are correctable flaws.

Tough to teach an old dog new tricks. I just don't think he is the right guy to lead this offense.

Reaction Score
Tough to teach an old dog new tricks. I just don't think he is the right guy to lead this offense.
What offense? We don't know the system yet. Cochran looked sharp the last 2 1/2 games. And I've been a fan of his since his soph year at Masuk.
But Boyle has a stronger arm and is more athletic. Whitmer has a lot of experience. We'll see. Competition is good! New coach, new system.

Reaction Score
Good luck to the kid, but he's a turnover machine. Don't want to see him on the field either.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Diaco goes back to 2012 games and sees what McCummings can do with his size and power running with the ball...and even though it only worked every once in awhile with the two old geizers offense, maybe Diaco can decide whether or not to use McCummings size and power in his system...obviously not throwing the ball though.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Diaco goes back to 2012 games and sees what McCummings can do with his size and power running with the ball...and even though it only worked every once in awhile with the two old geizers offense, maybe Diaco can decide whether or not to use McCummings size and power in his system...obviously not throwing the ball though.
Those 2 idiots should have put him in the back field as a rb when Dj got hurt instead of going with McCoombs. It would have given them the 2 headed rb monster.

Reaction Score
I hope Diaco goes back and looks at tape of last season even though he said he would not be doing that. We had a QB have a record setting day against a team that played UCF very tough and this can't be ignored. I understand it's a new season and everyone's spot is up for grabs but players that got it done in game situations last year should be identified IMHO.

Reaction Score
What offense? We don't know the system yet. Cochran looked sharp the last 2 1/2 games. And I've been a fan of his since his soph year at Masuk.
But Boyle has a stronger arm and is more athletic. Whitmer has a lot of experience. We'll see. Competition is good! New coach, new system.

Football is still football. Reads and check downs remain the same. Can't stare down a receiver no matter what "system" you run.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys, I like Casey as much as the next guy, but let's not make him out to be Dan Marino (and let's not make Whitmer out to be a D3 player). Whitmer turned the ball over but he also made great plays. He also felt more pressure to make a play than did the other two QB's because we had zero run game...ZERO! (thank you, GDL). When Foley reinstated his line philosophies, the run game came back immediately. The last three games, we didn't allow a sack (some due to Casey's quick release, but some due to a better line).

I think people on this board are making more of a difference between the two QB's than should really be made. One has a quicker release with better pocket presence, the other throws a better ball and is better with his feet. Depending on the system we use and the performance of the OLine / RB's, you might have a very different outcome...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Guys, I like Casey as much as the next guy, but let's not make him out to be Dan Marino (and let's not make Whitmer out to be a D3 player). Whitmer turned the ball over but he also made great plays. He also felt more pressure to make a play than did the other two QB's because we had zero run game...ZERO! (thank you, GDL). When Foley reinstated his line philosophies, the run game came back immediately. The last three games, we didn't allow a sack (some due to Casey's quick release, but some due to a better line). I think people on this board are making more of a difference between the two QB's than should really be made. One has a quicker release with better pocket presence, the other throws a better ball and is better with his feet. Depending on the system we use and the performance of the OLine / RB's, you might have a very different outcome...

Fixed.

"One has a quicker release with better pocket presence (Casey), the other throws a better ball and is better with his feet (Casey)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom