While Maya, Syl and Lindsay excelled... | The Boneyard

While Maya, Syl and Lindsay excelled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I only saw the highlights on ESPN this morning. Where did Maya learn to handle the ball like that?

After graduating from UConn, Tina acquired a jump shot, Kia learned to play offense (somewhat), and Maya learned to dribble in traffic. Just shows what talented players can do when they get some minimally competent coaching!

Reaction Score
I only saw the highlights on ESPN this morning. Where did Maya learn to handle the ball like that?

After graduating from UConn, Tina acquired a jump shot, Kia learned to play offense (somewhat), and Maya learned to dribble in traffic. Just shows what talented players can do when they get some minimally competent coaching!
Maya could always do that. She hasn't learned anything new. Prior to the pros she didn't need to because she played within a great offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dee looked really good too, but got little help. Phoenix shot 54%, put up 95 points, and lost badly. They forgot to play defense. Minnesota looked extremely sharp on offense.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Rebecca is hilarious. And she really knows her stuff.

Dee and Whalen were jawing at each other all game. Guess that Olympic camaraderie has worn off.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was really surprised that Brondello benched the starters for the entire 4th quarter. And I don't think she did it to rest them. She was obviously sending a message and I guess we shall see tonight if it worked. Other than BG and DT, Phoenix really had no players who added much on offense. And the defense was about as bad as a team can play. Phoenix simply cannot defend on the perimeter and that is not going to change until they get some young legs on the team. I really hate that they traded Courtney Williams.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

hopefully Gino will work on that this upcoming season

Reaction Score
I was really surprised that Brondello benched the starters for the entire 4th quarter. And I don't think she did it to rest them. She was obviously sending a message and I guess we shall see tonight if it worked.

Brondello sat Griner, Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor and Candice Dupree for the entire fourth quarter, unwilling to overtax them with the game out of hand. In the final minutes, Taurasi turned to jaw with a heckler. It was that kind of night.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Brondello sat Griner, Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor and Candice Dupree for the entire fourth quarter, unwilling to overtax them with the game out of hand. In the final minutes, Taurasi turned to jaw with a heckler. It was that kind of night.

She should have left them on the floor to get some sort of chemistry going against Minnesota. BG came out TOTALLY unprepared for game 2. It was an embarrassing performance.

Reaction Score
She should have left them on the floor to get some sort of chemistry going against Minnesota. BG came out TOTALLY unprepared for game 2. It was an embarrassing performance.

My take on Ms Griner's Game 2 performance, based on Game 1 quotes, is that she wanted to make amends for not being a more aggressive defender in Game 1 and, unfortunately, got whistled for three quick fouls in the first quarter; At which point she could no longer afford to be even mildly aggressive. It shows how important Griner's defense is to Phoenix's success. Phoenix has not played poorly in either of the first two games. But, they need Griner to be dominant defensively to beat a team like Minnesota which has done a very good job finding open players and knocking down open shots.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My take on Ms Griner's Game 2 performance, based on Game 1 quotes, is that she wanted to make amends for not being a more aggressive defender in Game 1 and, unfortunately, got whistled for three quick fouls in the first quarter; At which point she could no longer afford to be even mildly aggressive. It shows how important Griner's defense is to Phoenix's success. Phoenix has not played poorly in either of the first two games. But, they need Griner to be dominant defensively to beat a team like Minnesota which has done a very good job finding open players and knocking down open shots.

Today Phoenix managed to get Fowles in foul trouble and did not take advantage of it. The shot selection was horrible and they've made 3 of 16 three so far. It's time for an overhaul in Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Today Phoenix managed to get Fowles in foul trouble and did not take advantage of it. The shot selection was horrible and they've made 3 of 16 three so far. It's time for an overhaul in Phoenix.

It might be a bit hasty to call for an overhaul, but you might be right. It is difficult for winning teams to get better via the draft and there just is not enough cap space to aggressively pursue free agents. Phoenix pretty much forfeited their chance to defend the title won two years ago. Mojo once lost is not always easy to regain, even with outstanding players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It might be a bit hasty to call for an overhaul, but you might be right. It is difficult for winning teams to get better via the draft and there just is not enough cap space to aggressively pursue free agents. Phoenix pretty much forfeited their chance to defend the title won two years ago. Mojo once lost is not always easy to regain, even with outstanding players.

I agree. You can't just reassemble the same talent and think that you are going to have the same chemistry. Taylor will be gone and Bonner will start again, which will mean even more bad shots. Harding will also be retiring so Phoenix needs to either trade Bone for some guards or draft some good guards. Phoenix is just not effective when DT has to move from shooting guard to point guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. You can't just reassemble the same talent and think that you are going to have the same chemistry. Taylor will be gone and Bonner will start again, which will mean even more bad shots. Harding will also be retiring so Phoenix needs to either trade Bone for some guards or draft some good guards. Phoenix is just not effective when DT has to move from shooting guard to point guard.
Phoenix biggest problem is the players play Matador defense, Ole, as their player drives by them. They expect Brittney to erase their mistakes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the BIG three... Renee
uconn_big_3.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Phoenix biggest problem is the players play Matador defense, Ole, as their player drives by them. They expect Brittney to erase their mistakes.

They can't stop the dribble-drive nor can they defend the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom