Which Teams Have the Best Chance to Upset the Huskies? | The Boneyard

Which Teams Have the Best Chance to Upset the Huskies?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
UConn Women’s Basketball Preview: Which Teams Have the Best Chance to Upset the Huskies?

Stanford has a knack of upsetting UCONN. Baylor is loaded. Texas trees? Da Irish!

Actually no one!

With all due respect to your opinion, even a one in five "chance" to beat our ladies is still a "chance."

I can certainly appreciate the self assured attitude (justifiable) of my fellow Husky fans and I enjoy the occasional foray into cockiness but arrogance has no place in the pride I feel about our team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Only UConn can beat UConn. UConn could loose but there isnt a team out there that can beat them. There is a difference in loosing and being beat. This seasons team is much better then last seasons team and is more experienced with 3 preseason AA's and maybe more by the end of the season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think the Stanford game, being the first against top opposition is the most dangerous one although Tony is certainly correct that a loss would entail a degree of beating ourselves.

The last time they defeated us (four years ago?) Tara must have schemed all summer and focused all her energy on solving UConn. Following that victory, the Cardinal went on to lose a whole slew of games against lesser teams.

I would not be surprised to see such single mindedness again but they likely don't have the talent to pull it off.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tony hit the nail on the head. What were the weaknesses UCONN had last year? IMHO only size and depth. How did we address that?

Depth - we "only" lost Chong. An underrated player (most UCONN fans knew her value, in experience, poise, and talent), and she proved she belongs - making the Dallas roster after being a 3rd round draft pick and being one of the better rookies in the league as the backup PG. Then we add 6 new players. 2 from transfer, 4 from recruiting. We lost no post players and added 2'ish (I know Stevens is "more" of a wing but at 6'6", she will defend a lot in the post). We lost no wing types and added 2 (Walker and Gordon). We lost 1 guard and added 2 (E-H and Coombs)

Height - add in Stevens at 6'6", Camara at 6'2" (generous) and Walke at 6'1" (probably also generous). Last year Geno had to mask deficiencies in depth and height. This year, he has to manage a plethora of talent.

We bring back 4 starters, 3 of which are AA's and one of which was just named to the preseason Wade watch. We all know who we think the core 7 will be (last year it was really only a core 6). And the core group could be 8 or 9 depending on how Camara fares after her injury rehab, and how Coombs progresses (Espinosa Hunter has an outside shot to break in too IMHO).

Granted we've only seen 2 exhibition games, but the staff (and fans) have had a chance to see how the players look, and you better believe Geno and co. are evaluating daily who's in and who's out based on their exhibition play and their practices.

Give credit to MSU for their fantastic win last year, but IMHO it slightly was more about UCONN losing than MSU beating us. It will be that much harder for UCONN to lose the next 2 years given the talent and depth.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee can get past Ball State then ah mmm er,no not a cardboard person's chance in aich e double hockey sticks come to think of it.

Reaction Score
I think the Stanford game, being the first against top opposition is the most dangerous one although Tony is certainly correct that a loss would entail a degree of beating ourselves.

The last time they defeated us (four years ago?) Tara must have schemed all summer and focused all her energy on solving UConn. Following that victory, the Cardinal went on to lose a whole slew of games against lesser teams.

I would not be surprised to see such single mindedness again but they likely don't have the talent to pull it off.

I agree Stanford as the first game is dangerous--for both! Neither has built up Div 1 game experience for the year. But this year is on a Neutral facility and Uconn historically has done well with neutral sites. If I were a betting person my odds would be heavily on UConn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The University of Injury and Severe Illness.
I agree 100%

And Baylor has a shot. Big, talented, experienced. Where they lose out is UConn has the athleticism, more options on offense (and more variations in their offensive system) and better conditioning.

And grit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree 100%

And Baylor has a shot. Big, talented, experienced. Where they lose out is UConn has the athleticism, more options on offense (and more variations to their offensive system) and better conditioning.

And grit.
I’m not so sure about Baylor. 4 out of 5 Baylor players that started last year’s game at Storrs have graduated or transferred, along with a key reserve. Wallace is back and Brown will be a force inside, but Baylor has only 10 players on the roster, of which 4 are freshmen. They will need Cox & Chou to step up big time as sophomores in order to be a factor this season.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee can get past Ball State then ah mmm er,no not a cardboard person's chance in aich e double hockey sticks come to think of it.
I am so happy, many on the By have had trouble reading my language. Finally another person who speaks my language.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure about Baylor. 4 out of 5 Baylor players that started last year’s game at Storrs have graduated or transferred, along with a key reserve. Wallace is back and Brown will be a force inside, but Baylor has only 10 players on the roster, of which 4 are freshmen. They will need Cox & Chou to step up big time as sophomores in order to be a factor this season.
For a second there I though you polled Baylor players--i.e.--4 out of 5 Baylor players---.
Mulkey has shown that she will start Frosh and demand expectations from them and some respond. Kim usually provides a nice game to watch and Danger last year gave us a view of things to come.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For us to lose, usually 2 major things need to happen other than illness and injury: (1) we need to play poorly (foul trouble, missed layups, turnovers, etc.) and (2) the other team needs to be good enough, smart enough, and tough enough to take advantage of it. Mississippi State had a good game plan and stuck to it. We were out of sorts. Combine those, and we lose at the buzzer in OT.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agree Stanford as the first game is dangerous--for both! Neither has built up Div 1 game experience for the year. But this year is on a Neutral facility and Uconn historically has done well with neutral sites. If I were a betting person my odds would be heavily on UConn.

I also believe UConn will win fairly handily
But I also think that this game is their most likely loss (if one were to occur).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Well I'll say in regulation nobody. If some schlubs happen to get us to OT then they have a chance. I'm pretty sure UConn hasn't lost a game in regulation since 2013.

Reaction Score
To beat UConn this year any team will need to play a near perfect game and UConn will have to have an off night. Therefore I'd say that South Florida has the best shot because they have a team that is capable of shoot threes well enough and more importantly, they will likely get three shots at UConn.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
None. Like I said before, the only team that will beat UConn, is UConn. I have to add another team though, the officiating team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Depth - we "only" lost Chong. An underrated player (most UCONN fans knew her value, in experience, poise, and talent), and she proved she belongs - making the Dallas roster after being a 3rd round draft pick and being one of the better rookies in the league as the backup PG. Then we add 6 new players. 2 from transfer, 4 from recruiting. We lost no post players and added 2'ish (I know Stevens is "more" of a wing but at 6'6", she will defend a lot in the post). We lost no wing types and added 2 (Walker and Gordon). We lost 1 guard and added 2 (E-H and Coombs)

Height - add in Stevens at 6'6", Camara at 6'2" (generous) and Walke at 6'1" (probably also generous). Last year Geno had to mask deficiencies in depth and height. This year, he has to manage a plethora of talent.
Well we did lose 6-5 Butler. I like how we've made up for that, but we did lose her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno would say “if we play our A game, no one can beat us”!
With this much talent, UConn might only need their B- game, although they would still have to face a less then pleasant Geno Auriemma afterwards.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
For a second there I though you polled Baylor players--i.e.--4 out of 5 Baylor players---.
Mulkey has shown that she will start Frosh and demand expectations from them and some respond. Kim usually provides a nice game to watch and Danger last year gave us a view of things to come.
Which freshmen did Mulkey start last season? None that I can think of because she had a deep roster with many upperclassmen. She is like most coaches; if a freshman wins a starting job, she will start them. This year, she has no choice but to start one or two freshmen.

Reaction Score
Which freshmen did Mulkey start last season? None that I can think of because she had a deep roster with many upperclassmen. She is like most coaches; if a freshman wins a starting job, she will start them. This year, she has no choice but to start one or two freshmen.
Great NIT PICK---but you missed that I took great care NOT to DEFINE which YEARS she PLAYED freshmen. She has however used FRESHMEN in the past and used them effectively. OPINIONS are opinions--I see Tomatoes you see Tom-ottos that's the nature of the BY. Hook em Horns!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom