Which Scenario? | The Boneyard

Which Scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Elsewhere on our Board, posters are offering conjecture about a possible undefeated season (again) for 2013-14. While I am generally not a big fan of such talk, I can understand it, because, as we all know, the possibility certainly looms in the realm of the credible.

Suppose, however, entering the season, fresh on the heels of losing a prized recruit to Duke, we were still ranked #1, but there were no fewer than ten or twelve (or more) legitimate programs out there, each not only very good, but potential powerhouses, as Duke is beginning to look, on paper anyway. Suppose each of these programs, spread all over the country geographically, had a totally legitimate shot at the Final Four, and even a championship. Suppose we had intersectional games scheduled in the regular season against most of these teams. Suppose each of their arenas posed a living hell for our women in which to play, just as Gampel is for them. Suppose that every game between these powerhouses played to packed crowds. Suppose we made the Final Four ourselves, but only after fighting our way to, say, a 30-5 record.

Would you enter the upcoming season, as a fan, more excited than you are at the reasonable prospect of an undefeated year? And, if we should then successfully emerge with Title #9, would you feel better for having accomplished it that way? I certainly would, and, for the sake of the game we love, I think we all should root for such a contingency. C'mon parity!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Would you enter the upcoming season, as a fan, more excited than you are at the reasonable prospect of an undefeated year? And, if we should then successfully emerge with Title #9, would you feel better for having accomplished it that way?/quote]

No. No.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that the quality of a championship is tied to the quality of the opponents a team faces. As much as I don't want UConn to lose any games, if there were 4 or 5 teams just as good and another 4 or 5 that can are as good half the time it would make for better games to watch. Great rivalries happen when both sides have an opportunity to crow about beating the other.
As much as I enjoyed watching the Globtrotters I enjoyed Celtic-Laker games more, even though Boston lost some of the games.

Reaction Score
Nope! UCONN is in dynasty mode right now. That, to me, is why an undefeated season is a reasonable goal. We can aspire for the kind of season the OP pines for AFTER the dynasty runs its course.

For now, it's UCONN with everyone else playing 2nd place, as it was for ucla men from '64 to '75 and for the Celtics through the '60s.

Say NO to parity :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, let me see .... Nah! I like me some whoopass! Parity is for the other 300 +/- D1 teams - I am a closet Tony/Eric - 195 and 0 is my idea of heaven.

In all seriousness - I do not think we are far off from your scenario - I think there will be a few very competitive regular season games this year, but next year it may reach 5 or 6. Do I see us losing as many as five games pre tournament this year or next ... no. But losing a few is entirely possible.

NB - we have three undefeated seasons in the last 11 we have played - that is scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom