Men - Which Players Are Draft Eligible and Expected to Leave for MLB? | The Boneyard

Men Which Players Are Draft Eligible and Expected to Leave for MLB?

Reaction Score
Can anyone please list players from this year's team who are expected to be drafted and not return to UCONN for next season?

I'll start:

Casparius
C. Winkel
P. Winkel

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Add Kyler Fedko to that list. Do you want to know who is going to be drafted and gone or who will probably be leaving due to end of eligibility?

Reaction Score
Add Kyler Fedko to that list. Do you want to know who is going to be drafted and gone or who will probably be leaving due to end of eligibility?
Both if possible.

How about our big pitcher Peterson.
Kid did a helluva job.
Would LOVE to see him back next year.

Reaction Score
Both if possible.

How about our big pitcher Peterson.
Kid did a helluva job.
Would LOVE to see him back next year.

To me it goes both ways. It's great if Austin Peterson comes back, as he certainly would be a quality starting pitcher for next season, and I would certainly like to see more of him at UConn. However, the really good teams in college baseball have a number of players get drafted and leave to go pro after their junior year. That is the badge of a quality baseball program, players moving onto the pro ranks, especially after their junior season, and being able to reload and replace the players leaving the program.

One other thing to remember about this year's draft is that it has been cut in half and is now only 20 rounds, and later in the summer so that many draftees don't play that summer now that many of the short season minor leagues (long the entry point of pro ball for many draftees) have been eliminated. Not sure if Austin Peterson will get drafted, but I would think there is a chance. But my thinking is that MLB wants to keep players in college ball and sort of use that as a replacement for the lower minor leagues.

One other thing to note is that Austin Peterson is currently not playing summer ball. Maybe he is waiting out the draft, maybe not. Peterson got plenty of work this season at UConn, so maybe they are giving his arm a break, or maybe he will join summer ball a bit later on, perhaps after the draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom