Which of our title teams did you have faith in, and which did you not? | The Boneyard

Which of our title teams did you have faith in, and which did you not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diehard fan since 89-90, when I was 10 years old.

But, which teams did I put my money on? If a year I didn't go into a pool, which ones would I have?

The first title team was great for me. I threw in $5 and won $75 in a smaller pool. I couldn't comprehend the 9 point spread, but it was irrelevant.

The 04 title team was, and I think still is (many will say it was 99) - the most talented team we've ever had. Did I pick them? No! Like an idiot I chose Pitt - Pitt!!! Somehow I lose sight of Emeka's injuries contributing greatly to a couple or few losses, and I thought the team underachieved sufficiently that they wouldn't be title bound. What a G-D idiot I was.

Next team I did predict to win was 05-06. Disaster.

2011, I did call for us to win. I just hadn't seen a single player do so much to will his team to victory as Kemba. That's my favorite season. I partially converted a St John's/ UK fan to our side that year, and he became a fan of Lamb. I'm oddly proud of that.

2014 - the great overachievers. I didn't call it. I know a handful of you did, but, that's the lowest seed to win since Nova under Rollie. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
'99, '04 and '06, unfortunately I was wrong on '06.

Thank you for an honest and understandable answer. I'm sure I also picked UConn when we lost to UCLA, too. Forgot about that one. This also brings up a reasonable question in terms of how many years might it take for KO to bring another title. If we're competitive, I'm okay with it taking 10 years, w/o calling for change. I don't think it will - but KO is facing reasonably similar challenges in terms of the start of recruiting, and building his brand. It's obvious players love him - he's a bit more Shaka than Jim in the player personal dept., but certainly more than capable once he gets a few more recruiting classes (and they've been nothing to sneeze at) under him.

Reaction Score
99, 04, 11. I had faith these would win it all.

2014 I didn't have faith in. It was just a wild ride.

Reaction Score
04 and 11 I was confident. 99 it was still new and "are we really here?" was running through me. 14 was purely Bazz willing the team to the title, so no way.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
'04 and '99 were the only teams I thought at the beginning of the season could/should win it all. 95-96 was a lot of fun, but as it turned out, it didn't count anyway. I thought there was an outside chance in '06 and '09 entering the Tournament. If any one says they were confident in '11 or '14, IMO they are lying.

Reaction Score
99, 04, 11. I had faith these would win it all.

2014 I didn't have faith in. It was just a wild ride.
At what point did you have faith in '11 winning it all? Can't imagine anyone thought they were winning it all heading into the season.

Reaction Score
I had absolute certainty that we'd win in '99. I still say that's the toughest team we've ever had, and one of the toughest in college basketball history.

I had faith the 2014 team would win if we got the right draw.

I was confident the 2004 team would win if they played like they could (though I had my doubts during the season).

I had a ton of faith that the 1996 team was the best in the country. I still think that if Ricky doesn't get hurt we stroll to the final and then give UK hell -- that's a coinflip of a game

Reaction Score
I had very little faith that '11 would win the NCAA Tournament. The Big East Tournament that year, by itself, was a once in a lifetime ride, and expecting more after that seemed unreasonable. Obviously I was incredibly happy to be wrong.

The '14 team is the only one of our title teams to not win the conference tournament, so that tempered my optimism heading into the tournament quite a bit, especially given Louisville had just beaten us for the third time in a row (I figured that if you lose to the same team three times in one season, you're not a contender - wrong again).

The 'Nova game turned things for me. After that one, I picked us in every game the rest of the way. The match-ups fell our way in New York (UNC would have been tougher than Iowa State, and Virginia would have been tougher than MSU) - I was strangely confident that we'd beat Michigan State and even more confident that we'd beat Florida. By the time we knew our opponent in the final, it seemed like a formality to me. I was recklessly confident, to the point that I began to scare myself, but it was one of those "everything I've ever learned about basketball..." games where it was incomprehensible that a team of five freshman and suspect guard play would beat the special thing UConn had going. I honestly thought we were going to blow them out and we might have had DeAndre and Boat not gotten into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
'04 and '99 were the only teams I thought at the beginning of the season could/should win it all. 95-96 was a lot of fun, but as it turned out, it didn't count anyway. I thought there was an outside chance in '06 and '09 entering the Tournament. If any one says they were confident in '11 or '14, IMO they are lying.
I was extremely confident after Maui in 2011, then came that mid-season super slump that tempered my expectations. But after going through the big east tournament, which was pretty much a mini March madness, my confidence was restored

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought Maui was luck, pure and simple. Not one year before, the game appeared to pass Calhoun by, the senior leaders seemed to quit on their coach and teammates, and the freshman wunderkind (Walker) all but took 2 steps backward as a sophomore. There were no expectations for me in 2011...thats what makes it all that much sweeter.

Reaction Score
The only team I was confident in at the beginning of the season was the 2004 team. However, for some reason once we got in the tourney I thought for sure we would get tripped up.
The 1999 team I was convinced was going to beat Duke in the final. A customer of mine who was a Duke graduate, and very wealthy, wanted to bet me $20 on the game. I told him I would rather it was just $1.00 because he was a customer and I would feel bad taking his money. He asked why I felt so confident. I told him that nobody in the country played defense like UConn and Duke hadn't played against a defense as good as ours all year. The day after UConn won he showed up at my job, shook my hand and game me the $1.00 bill and a large cup of coffee from Dunkin' figuring I had been up late celebrating. A class act.
The 2011 team was a surprise to me all the way through until we beat Arizona and then I thought we could win it.
In 2014 once we beat St Joes I was totally calm and expecting to win each game along the way. I watched the Florida game with my Dad and when we were down big early he said "maybe they've finally hit the wall". I said "no way, not yet. They are better. They can't play this badly the whole game. They are going to come back."

Reaction Score
At what point did you have faith in '11 winning it all? Can't imagine anyone thought they were winning it all heading into the season.

In the early season, the OOC, and I wasn't dissuaded by the BE regular season. Certainly, gained confidence after the BE tournament, but so did everyone.

Reaction Score
I thought Maui was luck, pure and simple. Not one year before, the game appeared to pass Calhoun by, the senior leaders seemed to quit on their coach and teammates, and the freshman wunderkind (Walker) all but took 2 steps backward as a sophomore. There were no expectations for me in 2011...thats what makes it all that much sweeter.

Before Maui ,the 2011 team had the lowest expectations I've ever had for a season going back to 1989.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
'99 and '04 full faith from the start. Like from the start of the season if not before.

'11 skeptical until the ankle-breaker.

'14 NFW.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Most faith - 1999 and 2004
After early season tourney I thought 2011 had an outside chance to make a run
2014 - thought they over reached in 2012/13 but once Bazz hit the shot vs FLA I started to believe

I always have faith in UConn before the season begins but reality sets in after a few what the heck games.

But who can complain with 4 National Champs - certainly not me

Reaction Score
`99 was a surprise. Winning a national title was just unimaginable after so many disappointments.

04` I knew when we won the BE Tourney that it was over for everybody else. Easiest tourney ive ever watched and anyone that disagrees but that was one of the best teams of the last 30 years. Id lacem up against any team since 85 and like my chances.

11` a surprise until we beat Arizona. After beating them i was absolutely convinced we were a team of destiny and we would not be denied. Possibly my favorite title team. I must admit though its kind of like picking your favorite child.

`14 The whole time i was thinking "No way! This cant happen twice in a lifetime nevermind in a span of 4 years". Oh and " you Mark Emmert!"

Reaction Score
I was very angry at the 2011 team for underachieving in the Big East.
Any team with a Kemba Walker shouldn't be .500
So when they tuned it around I wasn't shocked
The 2014 team was very satisfying because it indicated life after JC.
But beating Duke (billed as one of the all-time great college teams ) is the most satisfying. Maybe because I had waited 45 years to even get in a FF .
The heartbreak and wait was worth it . 77-74 willstill bring a glow to my last breath.
2004 we were simply a head above everyone else if Emeka is healthy or not in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I was only supremely confident in '04.

I was very confident in '99 that we would at least make the Final 4, at least until midway through the second half of the Gonzaga game.

I picked us to lose in the elite 8 in 2006, just not to GM. Turns out my bracket that year was in the 99.5th percentile nationwide.

Thought it was possible in '11 but didn't think it would actually happen.

If you think you saw '14 coming, you're lying.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I wonder if Syracuse has a similar thread but in reverse.

2011 - we wouldve won it if Fab Melo didnt cheat

2008 - We wouldbe won it but for the academic suspensions......

etc

etc

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I thought we'd win it all in 2005-2006. Despite the way they broke our hearts, they were still one of the most fun teams to watch that we've ever had.

Reaction Score
99- Totally confident it was nerve wracking because of all the close misses to the FF, my preseason expectations were to at least get to the FF. After seeing the Duke game vs St Johns it gave me a lot of confidence UConn could beat them.

04- 110 percent confident the only thing I was worried about was the health of Emeka, through out the year I just said get to the tourney with a high seed, throughout the losses of the season I said to everyone I'm not even worried well be fine. The Duke game scared me of course, after that game was over it felt like we had already won it, going into the National Championship game I never felt so confident in victory losing to Ga Tech in the preseason NIT made me relax even more knowing that would make UConn hungrier.

11- Preseason expectations Zero, as the season went along I was just enjoying the ride. Whats funny is during the Maui Tourney I had a conversation with my Dad and brothers on Thanksgiving we were talking about how good Uconn would be my Dad said its gonna get harder for Uconn and Kemba when they go into big east play, we were talking about how crazy would it be if Uconn won it all, I said they would most likely be a 7-10 seed and too bad Kemba won't be back next year (thats what I said right after the Maui tourney). After the Pitt game I just said I will enjoy the ride take it game by game, which makes the experience more fun when you dont put a ceiling on it.

14- Preseason expectations anger and hunger, angry about the football program, about the tourney ban, conference realignment, 2011 run gave me confidence, I think the tourney ban brought the team closer I was confident, was I frustrated during the season, yes but I never lost confidence, having Shabazz of course gave me confidence, and I knew DD was the X factor, if he was on his game averaging around 15-20 ppg we were a completely different team. I wanted to play Lville in the AAC title game I didnt even care if we lost (yes I would have liked to beat them) but I think we needed to play them to prepare us to get ready for the tourney.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was too young for '99.

I had supreme confidence in 2004, knew we were the best team in the country. I was sweating bullets in the 2nd half of the Duke game, for sure, but once Rashad hit that 3 I knew we were gonna win it the game.

In 2011 I had my doubts, to be honest. We were godawful down the stretch against the zone. I remember we went on a 15-0 run late in the ND game at Gampel to take the lead, then Mike Brey went zone and we didn't score for the last 4 minutes. I was optimistic when we beat Pitt, but they play man and I already knew we could beat anyone in the country that played man. When we beat Syracuse 's zone the next night, and looked so good doing it, I knew we could win the whole thing.

In 2014 once we beat Villanova and got to play in Storrs South I knew we could win the whole thing. All it was gonna take was Shabazz playing his A game.

Reaction Score
The title of this thread needs to be more specific. Only teams I thought both heading into the year and during the year that would win it were '99, '04 and '06. '99 I knew before the season we had "it" and they made me continue with that belief the whole way through. '04 i knew we had the most talented team heading into the season. We had some small hiccups but if Okafor's back held up I knew we would win it. '06 I knew we had the most talented team going into the season, their lack of focus and only Marcus being a stud dribbler and passer scared me a little but I thought they would be able to turn it on and that was enough to win it all, unfortunately George Mason happened. '14 I thought we had a small to very small chance because our backcourt was the best in the country but everything would have to fall perfectly in place for a run at the whole thing, turns out everything did. '11 going into the season I had the lowest expectations of any UConn team I can remember. All we had that we knew about was Kemba coming off a bit of a disappointing soph year and Oriakhi. Had no clue Kemba would be the best player in the country and turn into superman in crunch time. Also had no clue what to expect with the frosh, they were all better than I planned on and Lamb turned into one of the best players in the country by tournament time. To this day it still amazes me what that team turned into.

Reaction Score
In '99, I was confident by the time the tourney began.

' 04 and '14, I was so confident that I got final 4 tickets early.

But in '11, I lost faith as we floundered during the last half of the season. So I scheduled a trip to Ireland and had to watch the finals on an unreliable live stream in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom