Which non-blue blood has produced the best NBA players | The Boneyard

Which non-blue blood has produced the best NBA players

Reaction Score
Which non-blue blood school do you think has put the most "players" in the NBA? By "players" let's stick to guys who have/have had legit NBA careers (no journeyman bench dudes).

It may be easier to start from this millenium but if you have a good case for an all-time non blue blood producer, go for it.

Would love to see what you all come up with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The first team to come to mind is Texas. KD is KD. Allen and Turner are good/borderline All Star bigs. Guys like PJ and Tristan (who I believe Hurley coached) and Corey Joseph and Avery Bradley have had long careers.

And another good non blue blood is the other Huskies with guys like Roy, IT, T Ross, Fultz, etc.

Reaction Score
The first team to come to mind is Texas. KD is KD. Allen and Turner are good/borderline All Star bigs. Guys like PJ and Tristan (who I believe Hurley coached) and Corey Joseph and Avery Bradley have had long careers.

And another good non blue blood is the other Huskies with guys like Roy, IT, T Ross, Fultz, etc.
Texas was the 1st to come to my mind too but Washington is a great call!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I know the term blue blood is fast and loose, but if the goal of the question is to find a more random or obscure school, Oklahoma could have some say over the last 10-15 years between Trae, Griffin and Reaves. Nova has some good players too but they're an established program, if not blue blood.

I'm trying to think of programs outside the normal realm, i.e. Michigan, Zona, Fla and the like aren't as fun an answer.

Reaction Score
I know the term blue blood is fast and loose, but if the goal of the question is to find a more random or obscure school, Oklahoma could have some say over the last 10-15 years between Trae, Griffin and Reaves. Nova has some good players too but they're an established program, if not blue blood.

I'm trying to think of programs outside the normal realm, i.e. Michigan, Zona, Fla and the like aren't as fun an answer.
You put it better than I could. Yeah, I think the most fun is to find some non-obvious contenders.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
LSU?

Shaq, the artist formerly known as Chris Jackson and Simmons before he got Kardashian-ed. Plus others that I can’t think of…

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Which non-blue blood school do you think has put the most "players" in the NBA? By "players" let's stick to guys who have/have had legit NBA careers (no journeyman bench dudes).

It may be easier to start from this millenium but if you have a good case for an all-time non blue blood producer, go for it.

Would love to see what you all come up with.
You need to do some yardwork;):p

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I suppose tOSU would be #1. Four guys in the HoF, even though none since Havlicek.

Fun fact: Duquesne has more players in HoF (2) than UConn (1).

Reaction Score
I don't know about most but I think of the schools who have produced multiple Hall of Famers.

Georgetown- Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo plus Sleepy Floyd, Reggie Williams, David Wingate, Jeff Green, Otto Porter Jr., Greg Monroe...

Houston- Clyde Drexler, Hakeem, Elvin Hayes plus Otis Birdsong, Bo Outlaw, Damon Jones, Don Chaney, Anthony Goldwire...

LSU- Shaq, Bob Petit, Pistol Pete plus Mahmoud Abdul-Raouf, Ben Simmons, Big Baby Davis, Cam Thomas, Stromile Swift, Brandon Bass...

Marquette- Dwyane Wade, Jimmy Butler plus Maurice Lucas, Doc Rivers, Wesley Matthews Jr., Jae Crowder...

Michigan State- Magic, Draymond Green plus Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Jaren Jackson, Scottie Skiles, Zach Randolph, Jason Richardson...

Wake Forest- Tim Duncan, Chris Paul plus Muggsy Bogues, Rodney Rodgers, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, Al Farouq Aminu, John Collins...

My sleeper is DePaul only one Hall of Famer with some other excellent players- George Mikan plus Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings, Rod Strickland, Tyrone Corbin, Quentin Richardson, Wilson Chandler, Kevin Edwards, Dave Corzine

Reaction Score
I don't know about most but I think of the schools who have produced multiple Hall of Famers.

Georgetown- Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo plus Sleepy Floyd, Reggie Williams, David Wingate, Jeff Green, Otto Porter Jr., Greg Monroe...

Houston- Clyde Drexler, Hakeem, Elvin Hayes plus Otis Birdsong, Bo Outlaw, Damon Jones, Don Chaney, Anthony Goldwire...

LSU- Shaq, Bob Petit, Pistol Pete plus Mahmoud Abdul-Raouf, Ben Simmons, Big Baby Davis, Cam Thomas, Stromile Swift, Brandon Bass...

Marquette- Dwyane Wade, Jimmy Butler plus Maurice Lucas, Doc Rivers, Wesley Matthews Jr., Jae Crowder...

Michigan State- Magic, Draymond Green plus Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Jaren Jackson, Scottie Skiles, Zach Randolph, Jason Richardson...

Wake Forest- Tim Duncan, Chris Paul plus Muggsy Bogues, Rodney Rodgers, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, Al Farouq Aminu, John Collins...

My sleeper is DePaul only one Hall of Famer with some other excellent players- George Mikan plus Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings, Rod Strickland, Tyrone Corbin, Quentin Richardson, Wilson Chandler, Kevin Edwards, Dave Corzine
1 Vote for DePaul. That's a good list of alum. I was a huge nba fan (and a big pistons fan in the 80s and 90s) and would collect basketball cards. I always thought DePaul mustve been the best basketball school because it seems I'd flip the card over and see 'College : DePaul' more times than not. I think about this often when I watch them nowadays. Wake and Marquette great sleepers too

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I suppose tOSU would be #1. Four guys in the HoF, even though none since Havlicek.

Fun fact: Duquesne has more players in HoF (2) than UConn (1).

Holy Cross has two HoFer in Cousy and Heinson, but in the spirit of the question, I'd have to go with Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Syracuse sneaks in there with two Hall of Famers- Dave Bing and Carmelo Anthony plus Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, Sherm Douglas, Billy Owens, Hakim Warrick...

Reaction Score

Ohio State - Havlicek, Jerry Lucas, Neil Johnston, Arnie Risen HOFers. Michael Redd, Mike Conley, Greg Oden, Derek Anderson, Jim Jackson, Evan Turner, Tony Campbell, D'Angelo Russell, Clark Kellogg, Herb Williams.

Michigan - Chris Webber, Rudy Tomjanovich HoFers. Glen Rice, Juwan Howard, Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose, Tim Hardaway Jr, Franz Wagner, Jordan Poole, Caris Levert, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Good list. Louisville maybe?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Houston

Elvin Hayes, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and a number of quality pros from the mid 1960's to the mid 1980's

Reaction Score
Arizona: lauri markannen, andre iguodala, mike bibby, richard jefferson, deandre ayton, ben mathurin, aaron gordon, steve kerr, damon stoudamire, gilbert arenas, jason terry, channing frye...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Sleepy Floyd. Great name and a smooth scorer. (EDIT): He still holds NBA record for most points in a quarter and in a half in a playoff game.

39 points in a half.

Reaction Score
Syracuse sneaks in there with two Hall of Famers- Dave Bing and Carmelo Anthony plus Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, Sherm Douglas, Billy Owens, Hakim Warrick...
No love for Earl the Pearl Washington??

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
St. John's has had some good NBA guys come through Mullin, Marks Jackson, Ron Artest though none that come to mind in awhile.

Edit: Moe Harkless had a nice career and Bill Wennington was pretty notable.

Reaction Score
Arizona - Mike Bibby, Stoudamire, Steve Kerr, Gilbert Arenas, Aaron Gordon, Richard Jefferson, Iguodala, Channing Frye, Jason Terry, Chase Budinger, Benedict Mathurin

Florida - Mike Miller, Noah, Corey Brewer, Al Horford, Bradley Beal, Chandler Parsons, Vernon Maxwell

USC - DeRozan, OJ Mayo, Nikola Vucevic, Scalabrine, Taj Gibson, Nick Young, Mobleys

For mid-majors... probably Syracuse

Reaction Score
Arizona - Mike Bibby, Stoudamire, Steve Kerr, Gilbert Arenas, Aaron Gordon, Richard Jefferson, Iguodala, Channing Frye, Jason Terry, Chase Budinger, Benedict Mathurin

Florida - Mike Miller, Noah, Corey Brewer, Al Horford, Bradley Beal, Chandler Parsons, Vernon Maxwell

USC - DeRozan, OJ Mayo, Nikola Vucevic, Scalabrine, Taj Gibson, Nick Young, Mobleys

For mid-majors... probably Syracuse
USC is a great one. Being out on the west coast and being mainly a baseball, football school, basketball is an afterthought. But they have still managed to put out pros, recruit a phenom in Harold Miner and produce several top 10 teams over the years. When I lived in L.A. I listened to sports talk radio day/night and you wouldn't know usc had a bball team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom