ot: which ct newspaper best covers uconn ? (revised) | The Boneyard

ot: which ct newspaper best covers uconn ? (revised)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Best to work for? Probably the Courant, I'm guessing they have the biggest budget.

Reaction Score
Courant, but it's a heavier paper so you arm may get tired from throwing them.

Reaction Score
Living in Fairfield County, I don't get to see the actual papers but do my reading online. I like the Courant the best because it's easy to find UConn news and obviously the writers are close enough to campus to be the first to most stories.

The New Haven Register website is OK (I like Borges' blog) while the Stamford Advocate and Connecticut Post and Danbury News-Times (all pretty much one of the same) just don't excite me that much. It's never stuff that I haven't already read elsewhere, you know? Never read the JI, mostly because I don't think of it.

I know The Hour has picked up its coverage compared to past years, but they don't have that full-time writer to feed the Husky frenzy many of us have down here so we still turn to the state's other papers. When I do pick up The Hour and it has UConn news, at least I know I didn't waste my 75 cents. Thank god for free websites.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I didn't even understand the question.

Are you thinking of becoming a sportswriter? Are you wondering what sportswriter enjoys the best working conditions? What exactly are you try to find out?

Sometimes your brevity makes me feel like little Timmy is trapped in a well and you're Lassie and I'm just not picking up on what you're trying to say.

Reaction Score

Are you thinking of becoming a sportswriter? Are you wondering what sportswriter enjoys the best working conditions? What exactly are you try to find out?

Sometimes your brevity makes me feel like little Timmy is trapped in a well and you're Lassie and I'm just not picking up on what you're trying to say.

rrrrf . wondering which paper people thought best covered the team.
i figure HC because they are the biggest and most likely $$$, but they hire jocab which is an and the new guy DOM AMORE who has trouble putting more then 147 words together.

I will change the thread title fishy...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Okay.

You'd think the Courant would do the best job of covering the team because you can be reasonably certain that the Courant will have a presence at every game.

Given the s*** state of the newspaper biz these days, we've certainly noticed that some newspapers were unable to send their reporters to every road/neutral games recently.

So whoever has the Courant job has the edge.

Personally, I tend not to read much of the local coverage. When I do, I find that Gavin Keefe and Borges tend to capture my attention more than anyone else. I'd say those two are the best out there.

Reaction Score
Okay.

You'd think the Courant would do the best job of covering the team because you can be reasonably certain that the Courant will have a presence at every game.

Given the s*** state of the newspaper biz these days, we've certainly noticed that some newspapers were unable to send their reporters to every road/neutral games recently.

So whoever has the Courant job has the edge.

Personally, I tend not to read much of the local coverage. When I do, I find that Gavin Keefe and Borges tend to capture my attention more than anyone else. I'd say those two are the best out there.

Gavin Keefe and Borges are both good guys. Gavin is great to fans and will answer fan emails regularly.

Many of the reports are not being sent to away BE games out of the tristate .. real shame

Reaction Score
I guess I'd have to go with the Courant's coverage, but its more by default at this point.

On a side note, I can't help but bring up one of my first great memories as a UConn Bball fan...I remember as a 10 year old kid picking up the Courant the morning after Tate hit the shot, and being mesmerized by the multiple pages of coverage and the neat diagram that accompanied it.

Reaction Score

Agree with those choices and would add(on equal or better footing) Phil Chardis at the Manchester Journal-Inquirer. Based on some of the stories he writes, he is the one reporter in the state who seems to have both JC's and the Athletic Department's ear. And Desmond Connor(at the Courant) is a big miss(as in I miss him) from back in the day.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE PI-RATS!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would have absolutely had Phil in there, but I had already passed him on to the SID ranks.

Having had the chance to work with some of the beat folks when we ran the magazine, I can tell you that Phil, Gavin and John Silver of the JI are great reporters and even better people.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Do you realize that many people don't know who Lassie is?

Reaction Score

Lassie was better at math than me. Just out of curiosity is Timmy still alive, and what number Lassie are we on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom