Where's the safest place in the U.S. to avoid natural disasters? | The Boneyard

Where's the safest place in the U.S. to avoid natural disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As a resident of Ellington of five years, I can't say I've felt totally safe. We had Irene and Sandy blow through (though we admittedly didn't have too much damage either time), the Great Wet Snowstorm of Halloween 2011 that knocked out our power for a few days, the tornadoes that hit Springfield (not exactly far away), and the mind-boggling Winter of 2010/11, wherein we were one more snowfall away from utter oblivion.

However, I have also lived in Atlanta, Virginia, Texas, Hawaii, eastern PA, and San Francisco, and I will say it's safer than most.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Bet you didn't guess this place.....

Where to Hide From Mother Nature
Nope, just got back from the CR board, and over there they can cite nothing but unmitigated catastrophes that have struck UConn and Storrs over the last few years headlined by a blizzard of disdain, a tempestuous sea of ignorance, a landslide of future horribleness, and a yawning chasm of indifference.

We are safe, but we are dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Denver seems pretty darn safe. Other than an occasional large snow storm not much else happens.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
As a resident of Ellington of five years, I can't say I've felt totally safe. We had Irene and Sandy blow through (though we admittedly didn't have too much damage either time), the Great Wet Snowstorm of Halloween 2011 that knocked out our power for a few days, the tornadoes that hit Springfield (not exactly far away), and the mind-boggling Winter of 2010/11, wherein we were one more snowfall away from utter oblivion.

However, I have also lived in Atlanta, Virginia, Texas, Hawaii, eastern PA, and San Francisco, and I will say it's safer than most.

Oh, I think that Ellington is ok...at least it was until they sold most of the farms and allowed in a BigY and McDonalds. But I am old school Ellington.... :)

Reaction Score

I meant to reply to your post Alex, not "like"it, as I tend to agree more with RadyLady than with you on this one. I've lived in the area for 27 years, and I think we are pretty lucky. Even with the Springfield tornadoes, Irene and Sandy, we didn't get hit nearly as badly as many others. Heck, we didn't even lose power with Sandy! I hope it stays this way and will continue to count my blessings.

Reaction Score
Oh, I think that Ellington is ok...at least it was until they sold most of the farms and allowed in a BigY and McDonalds. But I am old school Ellington.... :)
I wish I could like this post twice. Ellington has changed tremendously since the mid 1980s. I miss all those farms, the "lovely" farm smell and Ellington Food Market. But Ellington's still a nice town overall.

Reaction Score
I remember seeing this article when it was originally written several years ago. It confirmed a suspicion that I have had for quite some time.

Reaction Score
It was written right before the tornado went through Springfield and Southern Mass. I remember wondering if that tornado was close enough to change things.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I wish I could like this post twice. Ellington has changed tremendously since the mid 1980s. I miss all those farms, the "lovely" farm smell and Ellington Food Market. But Ellington's still a nice town overall.

LOL - thanks. There was a movie made about Ellington Supermarket titled appropriately "The Supermarket" I haven't seen the whole thing, but there are shots of Ellington pre invasion of the aforementioned Y and Mickey D, and the demise of said Ellington Supermarket. I am not sure of the true intent of the movie, but I believe that it was about the loss of the "mom and pop" feel of Ellington.

As to the perfume associated with Ellington, well, we were used to it. I did have friends come up to visit from New York City, and they damn near choked to death when they passed the Agway on Rt 83. City Slickers. That isn't pollution....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ellington is still great. It's beautiful, it's 25 minutes from XL Center, half an hour from Storrs, 90 minutes from Boston, 80 from the Berkshires, 55 from New Haven or Northampton, 2.5-3 hours from New York City, same for the Cape, and the school system is very good. Happy to live there. And Big Y isn't so bad. :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ellington is still great. It's beautiful, it's 25 minutes from XL Center, half an hour from Storrs, 90 minutes from Boston, 80 from the Berkshires, 55 from New Haven or Northampton, 2.5-3 hours from New York City, same for the Cape, and the school system is very good. Happy to live there. And Big Y isn't so bad. :)

Newbie :p

You wouldn't miss what you never had ( and I can make the trip from New York City in less than two and a half hours). You are correct on Ellington's proximity to all of those places.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
how about east of syracuse.....like utica or amsterdam...........nothing's ever happened there....

Reaction Score
Hills of upper east tenn are a good place to live to avoid natural disasters. no real threats of hurricanes, floods, or tornados. Heavy weather is rough thunderstorms with some down drafts that take down trees. What gets my goat is that my home owners insurance is high because i am helping to pay for all the damage in the disaster ares.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
how about east of syracuse.....like utica or amsterdam...........nothing's ever happened there....
Something a little disastrous for potentially 344 WCBB teams happened around 18 2/3 years ago a little north of Syracuse. But for Storrs residents and UConn fans in general, it made their psychological environment much much safer.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I would have guessed Death Valley, but I guess actually DV IS a sort of natural disaster. Yay for Storrs.

Reaction Score
I wonder about Connecticut, Mass and Wyoming, all said to be "safe" in the article. If a category 5 hurricane were to strike CT it would make Sandy look like a summer breeze, I mean thousands would die (not to mention the terrible floods in the Naugatuck Valley that killed hundreds in 1955) and people forget that the Worcester Mass tornado in 1953 killed 100 people, but the biggest "safe" mistake IMHO is Wyoming. When the Yellowstone volcano finally blows if you are within 1000 miles or so of ground zero you will be toast, some say it might not blow for another 20,000 years and my response to those saying that is "sleep well tonight".

Reaction Score
Say some prayers for all the folks in Tornado Alley today and they get sparred......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom