Where's Mighty Joe Williams? | The Boneyard

Where's Mighty Joe Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any word on his status? Would love to have a tough fast RB, a new head coach and a new offensive line scheme in place for the Buffalo game.

Reaction Score
Any word on his status? Would love to have a tough fast RB, a new head coach and a new offensive line scheme in place for the Buffalo game.
Still suspended. No timeline for return.

Reaction Score
My guess is when he does get reinstated he will not be back in the mix for several weeks.

It sounds like coaching staff is in love with McCombs and is hesitant to add backups to the mix per Dez's article today

Reaction Score
Why would you expect anything different? Make adjustments. Against PP's religion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why would you expect anything different? Make adjustments. Against PP's religion.

Bingo. We're either going to lose or lose trying.

THC

Reaction Score
Why? What has Max done that warrants that comment from you?

Not much, but status quo sure is excruciating to watch. I understand not trying to fix something that's not broken, but I'd classify our running game as FUBAR. Give the kid a chance, it can't get any worse.

Reaction Score
Joe is probably wondering why everyone gets so exercised about something that to him, and to a lot of kids like him, really doesn't seem all that bad. [I know, I know, save the outrage please]. If we all knew the real story, it probably isn't all that bad. Like Tyler Olander getting arrested for DUI when he is not even over the limit. C'mon, kids are kids. For those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's, today is like a police state - we got forgiven for a whole lot of stuff that we are now unwilling to forgive.

Reaction Score
So you like poor reads, a lack of balance and an inability to run through arm tackles?
Don't forget to add that he hops around more than a bullfrog hopping from lilly pad to lilly pad...

Reaction Score
So you like poor reads, a lack of balance and an inability to run through arm tackles?

We are 0-2 because our OL can't block and are often confused on assignments and on D we have no pass rush and no creative attempt to generate a pass rush. Beyond that we have a QB that is only effective when everything around him works, he has no ability to ad lib a positive play.

If you think playing Max, Martin, or Marriner will solve those problems....That's what I mean when I say McCombs is not the problem. IMO McCombs has improved over last year and is giving a 100% effort, he's not an elite back but he appears to be the best we have.

Reaction Score
The run blocking isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Reaction Score
We are 0-2 because are OL can't block and are often confused on assignments and on D we have no pass rush and no creative attempt to generate a pass rush. Beyond that we have a QB that is only effective when everything around him works, he has no ability to ad lib a positive play.

If you think playing Max, Martin, or Marriner will solve those problems....That's what I mean when I say McCombs is not the problem. IMO McCombs has improved over last and is one of the few guys playing with energy, he's not an elite back but he appears to be the best we have.

They don't have to solve the problem. They just have to be better than the status quo.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
They don't have to solve the problem. They just have to be better than the status quo.

Personally I don't think Max or Martin are. Maybe Marriner, I'd like to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
Joe is probably wondering why everyone gets so exercised about something that to him, and to a lot of kids like him, really doesn't seem all that bad. [I know, I know, save the outrage please]. If we all knew the real story, it probably isn't all that bad. Like Tyler Olander getting arrested for DUI when he is not even over the limit. C'mon, kids are kids. For those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's, today is like a police state - we got forgiven for a whole lot of stuff that we are now unwilling to forgive.

Oh come on. You're really comparing theft to doing stupid when drunk? "Kids will be kids" is not an excuse for what Williams did..

THC

Reaction Score
Personally I don't think Max or Martin are. Maybe Marriner, I'd like to see what he can do.

So what have you seen in Max's 3 carries this year that's making you write him off? They threw to him for a first down against Towson, that's a wrinkle that McCombs doesn't seem to add.

Reaction Score
So what have you seen in Max's 3 carries this year that's making you write him off? They threw to him for a first down against Towson, that's a wrinkle that McCombs doesn't seem to add.

I'm all for giving other players more carries, I just don't think it will make much of a difference. If McCombs did not play in the first two games I think we would still be 0-2 and I doubt we would be any more competitive. I don't think we have a RB on the bench who is going to light the world on fire for us. For me Marriner is the most intriguing right now because he is an unknown.

Reaction Score
Don't forget to add that he hops around more than a bullfrog hopping from lilly pad to lilly pad...

Because he no longer "has trust in the play." It's a condition that afflicts more than one UCONN back.

Reaction Score
Because he no longer "has trust in the play." It's a condition that afflicts more than one UCONN back.
Funny thing is if he just hit the hole at full speed and then made his cut he would rip off some good runs. I don't buy the "no longer has trust in the play" thing because he runs hard at times when he has space. At 5-8 160+ lbs McCoombs is built and runs like a change of pace back..that guy you put in there for 10-15 carries a game out in space and let him do his thing, NOT the guy you feed the ball to between the tackles 10-15 times a game alone. He also is not a very good pass blocker. When you are a jitter bug as a Sr in hs at 5-8 140+ lbs...and you go to a BCS level program you can expect to put on 20-30 lbs easy with your workouts. There is no way you are running the same 40 at 160+ that you ran as a hs Sr at 140+. Maybe close but 20 lbs is 20 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom