Where WE Are! (did you miss this NY Times article?) | The Boneyard

Where WE Are! (did you miss this NY Times article?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/s...ig-time-glory-in-fbs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So Snapshot 1998.

UConn is not one of the 115+ Universities playing Bigtime (then called D1a). Television is changing dramatically; ESPN is programming hours of games. We get plugged into the Big East ... the other 7 - 10 -13 Programs that touched the Big East run away.

There is a little snobbery ... my take ... in perception. Mostly by the ACC (a now vulnerable conference itself). We don't have Ben Schwartzwalder. We don't have Tony Dorsett. We don't have Doug Flutie. Gawd knows what the equivalent is at Rutgers ... but didn't that Car Salesman/HardRockTimesSquare guy Schiano sell that Birthplace logo. We are an UPSTART. We are one of the ones the Elite likes to piss on. So ... is Boise. USF. Many of the former C-USA/Great Midwest/whatever.

Cartels always leave opportunities to cheat ... and allow new entrants. (that was Econ second course)

Is this going to be static forever? No, that is not the way of business in America. This New York Times article points out 15-20 Programs moving up to FBS; with UMASS and that empty Gillette the highlight. (now UMASS has become the new Rutgers ... with History professors whining that need $20,000 while the Football is spending $8m) The REAL interesting moves? Big Urban markets looking at opportunity and doing well: UTSA (of course we will go Football - it's Texas) & Old Dominion Univ. (we need to separate & be at the level of Virginia & Virginia Tech). But Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, Georgia State?

Optimism is true moral courage (from a play I just saw). We are in a crap position. But ... this is not going to stay static. Why? There is too much money (from brand new sources) pushing into this. You can be one of the Boneyard that just craps all over everything; or be like our Cuse friends were from 2003-2011 ... and pray that they get the call. We are going to get more $$$ than that MWC take because there is a Market for content.

As Jim Calhoun says: We have Sweat Equity in the UConn Athletic Program. We have pushed & paid our dues. We need to go to games in great numbers & keep pushing for Winning. Those that whine that we won't have nearly the Schedule & therefore they aren't going to buy? I wish I was the UConn AD ... because I still think our Football Program is a growth stock. I think we have lots of "potential" fans that haven't been touch in our state & New England. Hope Warde Manual is going to show me something.

Reaction Score
I like your overall message, but the people on the board won't stop coming. I'll bet you the vast majority of fans at The Rent either have never heard of the boneyard or if they have because one of us has told them about it, they don't have much interest. Those are the people you're in danger of losing, not the boneyarder.

Reaction Score
I like your overall message, but the people on the board won't stop coming. I'll bet you the vast majority of fans at The Rent either have never heard of the boneyard or if they have because one of us has told them about it, they don't have much interest. Those are the people you're in danger of losing, not the boneyarder.
They think this message board is nuts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is like crack for a UConn fan, give them a little taste and they are hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom