Where the talent is going...... | The Boneyard

Where the talent is going......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm using the MacD game as a proxy (if a biased one). Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, and Louisville are bringing in the most talent for next year. So it looks as if the strong are going to remain strong. Also means UCONN will be very young next year (0 or 1 senior starting, assuming Morgan leaves), so it will be a very interesting season and a real challenge for the "UCONN system". OHST had a good recruiting class and good transfers, SC had a poor recruiting year but good transfers. I'm also hoping Ionescu (sp?) ends up at ORST to keep them going (it seems a forgone conclusion that she's staying in the upper west coast). I am really looking forward to seeing the progress UCONN makes from the beginning of the season to the NCAA tournament.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm using the MacD game as a proxy (if a biased one). Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, and Louisville are bringing in the most talent for next year. So it looks as if the strong are going to remain strong. Also means UCONN will be very young next year (0 or 1 senior starting, assuming Morgan leaves), so it will be a very interesting season and a real challenge for the "UCONN system". OHST had a good recruiting class and good transfers, SC had a poor recruiting year but good transfers. I'm also hoping Ionescu (sp?) ends up at ORST to keep them going (it seems a forgone conclusion that she's staying in the upper west coast). I am really looking forward to seeing the progress UCONN makes from the beginning of the season to the NCAA tournament.
That graphic that ESPNU put up during the game was inaccurate, as it failed to list Notre Dame as a team that had 2 McDonald's AA, despite the fact that the announcers talked about the Irish pair several times. Both Erin Boley and Jackie Young should help ND next year, and so should Ali Patberg, who missed all of her freshman year because she erupted her ACL a week before the season began. Her recovery has been slow, but she is expected back for the start of next season. Also, speaking of surgery, Brianna Turner will have an operation on her shoulder this next week. She is also expected to be ready for the start of the season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
(if a biased one) to be sure. Being a MickeyDs is no guarantee of superior performance in Div. 1 and this batch will likely confirm that again. My biggest curiousity for next season is the development of our two under the radar recruits recruits, Kyla and Molly. I could see us not making the Final 4 next year, but agree with Tara that the rest of the sport will get more pissy if we do.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
(if a biased one) to be sure. Being a MickeyDs is no guarantee of superior performance in Div. 1 and this batch will likely confirm that again. My biggest curiousity for next season is the development of our two under the radar recruits recruits, Kyla and Molly. I could see us not making the Final 4 next year, but agree with Tara that the rest of the sport will get more pissy if we do.
How is it biased? I know that it's not a good predictor of future success, although there is a strong correlation between making the McDonalds' team and being a good HS basketball player. Are you referring to the fact that the selection committee often chooses the young women who attend their own camps? I guess that's the same bias that shows up in the ranking services. That's why I always like the composite, as calculated by vowelguy. But while the rankings are biased somewhat, the composite is less biased (though it is still not that accurate). But it's pretty accurate. Looking over past rankings, there are some lower ranked players that the services missed, and some higher ranked players that never developed as forecasted, but in general, they do a pretty good job.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are you referring to the fact that the selection committee often chooses the young women who attend their own camps? I guess that's the same bias that shows up in the ranking servic

See, you knew. By the way I was parroting our OP.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You look at Oregon State's line-up and I think you begin to appreciate what 'smart recruiting' is all about - they got everyone else's leavings in terms of how people evaluated the talent each of the last four years, but they have some really fine players on that team - preforming better than many of the HS AAs that fans were crowing about getting to commit to their schools.
I am certainly hoping that Bent and Irwin can develop along those lines - they have the same type of character and it just depends on how well they and the coaching staff can develop the talent they have.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Also, speaking of surgery, Brianna Turner will have an operation on her shoulder this next week. She is also expected to be ready for the start of the season.
I am pleased to hear this, for her sake.

Reaction Score
You are assuming there is a lot of talent. I watched a top 10 junior play yesterday. She barely touched the rim on her free throws. And the rest of her game was very average.

This mourning Riverdale Baptist lost by about 20. Reportedly they have 5 D1 scholarship starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom