Where is Sierra Calhoun? | The Boneyard

Where is Sierra Calhoun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Have I missed her destination? If she is enrolled at Somewhere U, she can play next January...correct?
If not...she has to wait for the 2016-2017 season...correct?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No Decision by Sierra. Decision expected shortly and down to two schools As expected family playing a huge role in the decision process. I won't identify the schools as one of the schools has changed since I made my last post that it was down to two schools.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good luck to her. I think she had the talent to succeed at UCONN, but... well... you mentioned the "huge role" her "family" is playing in the decision and I'll just leave my comments at that.

Reaction Score
Have I missed her destination? If she is enrolled at Somewhere U, she can play next January...correct?
If not...she has to wait for the 2016-2017 season...correct?

I doubt she plays in 2015-2016. She would have had to transferred in January - unless she gets an NCAA wavier, which might be her strategy

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IIRC that's what I thought she was trying to do (get a waiver because the university was not a "safe" place for her).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I doubt she plays in 2015-2016. She would have had to transferred in January - unless she gets an NCAA wavier, which might be her strategy

She has no shot at a waiver - she'll have to sit out next season no matter where she goes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She has no shot at a waiver - she'll have to sit out next season no matter where she goes.
I would not say "no shot". Many of us thought the same or Remero situation this same time last year- that she would have to sit out a whole year. It is my understanding that it would be helpful if Duke supported her application to the NCAA for immediate eligibility to play. Not sure Duke would be willing to do that.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I heard it would be a Big10 school, with Penn State being the one heard most often.

Not sure if that is one of the schools or not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Question for all NCAA rules experts reference the title of this Thread. Sierra Calhoun played in 13 of Duke's 34 games last year. 13 of 29 if you exclude Duke's ACC and NCAA tournament games. There was no injury involved, is she eligible to get back any part of her eleigibility for her Freshmen year?

Reaction Score
If she wanted to feel safe she should of came to Uconn where her brother could protect her
With Geno/s, apparent, aversion to transfers and how S>C> performed at Duke do you think Geno would take her?? Question, not a statement. I got the feeling, not facts, that S.C. was self centered the kind that wants to be the whole team, I know nothing except she came from Christ the King HS, Middle Village, Queens, L.I. which usually puts out great players (Sue Bird for example).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Geno/s, apparent, aversion to transfers and how S>C> performed at Duke do you think Geno would take her?? Question, not a statement. I got the feeling, not facts, that S.C. was self centered the kind that wants to be the whole team, I know nothing except she came from Christ the King HS, Middle Village, Queens, L.I. which usually puts out great players (Sue Bird for example).
Short answer is no. I do not believe Geno would take her today. Many reasons some of which are not within her control, Perantal involvement, Position-she is a Wing and we have two great ones coming in the class of 2015. One reason is entirely within her control- performance. In 13 games at Duke Sierra shot 31% not 31% from the three point line 31 % overall. Among the Starters at duke she was outrebounded by the PG Johnson and the SG Greenwell. In those 13 games Greenwell almost doubled Sierra up in rebounds. At Duke Sierra was a volume shooter and not a very accurate one. This was consistent with a HS evaluation of Sierra which stated: "Her (Calhoun) outside shot is not consistent right now from the perimeter."
In the Spring/Summer of 2013 there were two wings very high on UCONN's list Sierra Calhoun & Taylor Rooks. All of a sudden this Canadian kid who UCONN thought was class of 2015 started getting some major buzz. By August Sierra committed to Duke prompting a joyous tweet from coach P saying thanks goodness Sierra followed her heart or something along those lines. Geno being Geno responded with a tweet of his own, vague enough to scratch your head, but pointed enough to address coach P's joy. Around the same time there was a tweet from the horde announcing that UCONN was no longer interested in Rooks-she went on to Stanford. Nurse signed with UCONN in November.
I think Geno would have taken Calhoun & Nurse back then but Geno was not that disappointed when she signed with Duke.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There was a falling out between Geno and Sierra/family prior to her signing with Duke. They both had decided UConn was not the school for her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I heard it would be a Big10 school, with Penn State being the one heard most often.

Not sure if that is one of the schools or not.

A former Duke wing named Sierra transferring to Penn State? Where have I seen that before ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Question for all NCAA rules experts reference the title of this Thread. Sierra Calhoun played in 13 of Duke's 34 games last year. 13 of 29 if you exclude Duke's ACC and NCAA tournament games. There was no injury involved, is she eligible to get back any part of her eleigibility for her Freshmen year?

A player can't get another year unless the reason was an injury. Further, having played 13 of 30 games, i.e. 43.3% o the games, is way too much to even get a medical hardship waiver (commonly referred to by some as a medical redshirt). The limit for that is 30%.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm no expert, but I'm not aware of her being self centered at all. When she was interested at UCONN, there was a LOT of chatter about how "involved" her father is, and many people commented that Ollie was already experiencing a lot of that, since Sierra's brother, Omar, is on the UCONN men's team. I'm not sure if UCONN backed off recruiting her, or if her interest simply shifted, but there were many rumors about parental requests for "guaranteed starting spot and playing time". We all know how Geno feels about that.

Very shortly after Sierra announced she was leaving Duke, Geno made some comments that went something like "not only do we recruit the player, but also the parents as well."... A lot of us "read between the lines" and came to our own conclusions regarding his level of interest in Sierra (and the people in her camp that would "come" with her).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I remember 2 "mothers" back in the early years of CVS at Rutgers - they shall go nameless:

- 1 constantly praised her baby girl and praised Vivian without ever commenting on her feelings regarding playing time, etc.
- 1 constantly complained about how Vivian didn't play her daughter the way she should, didn't understand her, etc.

Because they were contemporaries, the difference was striking. Met a few other parent types, including some other complainers, but the one I mention above was, by far, the worst.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I got the feeling, not facts, that S.C. was self centered the kind that wants to be the whole team, I know nothing except she came from Christ the King HS, Middle Village, Queens, L.I. which usually puts out great players (Sue Bird for example).[/B]
You are new here so you may not be aware of our rules against making harmful speculation. We don't allow posters to make negative comments about players, coaches, or parents based on their "feelings". Please resist making these types of comments in the future.

We also try to avoid terms like "ball hog", "thug", and so on. It's just name-calling, really.

Sorry for the bold-face, my iPad is not helping me out here.

Reaction Score
[
You are new here so you may not be aware of our rules against making harmful speculation. We don't allow posters to make negative comments about players, coaches, or parents based on their "feelings". Please resist making these types of comments in the future.

We also try to avoid terms like "ball hog", "thug", and so on. It's just name-calling, really.

Sorry for the bold-face, my iPad is not helping me out here.
QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 1323658, member: 6118"]MESSAGE RECEIVED. DID USE BALL HOG NEVER THUG---DIDN'T THINK THESE "NAME CALLING" IF ONE IS A VOLUME SHOOTER TO ME THAT IMPLIES A BALL HOG --CAN'T SHOOT WITHOUT HE BALL. DON'T THINK I DISSED S. C. 'S PARENTS--I HAVE TOO MUCH RESPECT FOR CHRIST THE KING TO DO THAT. --
ON THE SUBJECT ---WHY THEN IS ---W.T.F. ACCEPTABLE, IS IT OFFENSIVE TO ME, BECAUSE WE KNOW FOR WHAT IT STANDS.
BOLD FACE IS NOT OFFENSIVE. IT WILL BE ROUGHER TO BE WORD SELECTIVE --BUT WILL TRY. ROGER WILCO OVER AN OUT.[/QUOTE]

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
[

QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 1323658, member: 6118"]MESSAGE RECEIVED. DID USE BALL HOG NEVER THUG---DIDN'T THINK THESE "NAME CALLING" IF ONE IS A VOLUME SHOOTER TO ME THAT IMPLIES A BALL HOG --CAN'T SHOOT WITHOUT HE BALL. DON'T THINK I DISSED S. C. 'S PARENTS--I HAVE TOO MUCH RESPECT FOR CHRIST THE KING TO DO THAT. --
ON THE SUBJECT ---WHY THEN IS ---W.T.F. ACCEPTABLE, IS IT OFFENSIVE TO ME, BECAUSE WE KNOW FOR WHAT IT STANDS.
BOLD FACE IS NOT OFFENSIVE. IT WILL BE ROUGHER TO BE WORD SELECTIVE --BUT WILL TRY. ROGER WILCO OVER AN OUT.
[/QUOTE]
I was just making you aware of the rules. I'm certainly didn't mean to imply you had done all of those things - my apologies.

Reaction Score
When Geno was recruiting Taurasi.Dianas Mother Lilly was making every excuse she can about her not wanting her daughter to go to UConn. Geno said to her if she went to school close to home made you happy but not Diana for 4 years or would you rather see her come to Connecticut and though you might not like it but Diana will be happy for 4years.(safe to say she was happy)Then he told DTs Mom that we are recruiting Diana not you!Lilly Taurasi later said her daughter made the right choice!

Reaction Score
When Geno was recruiting Taurasi.Dianas Mother Lilly was making every excuse she can about her not wanting her daughter to go to UConn. Geno said to her if she went to school close to home made you happy but not Diana for 4 years or would you rather see her come to Connecticut and though you might not like it but Diana will be happy for 4years.(safe to say she was happy)Then he told DTs Mom that we are recruiting Diana not you!Lilly Taurasi later said her daughter made the right choice!
And how are you so privy to what Geno said to DT's mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom