Where are Uconn's fifth year transfers? | The Boneyard

Where are Uconn's fifth year transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Philips leaving and potential transfer to start next year someplace else has opened up at least 1 hole/scholarship. Where is the fifth year/grad student for Uconn? Adazzio has gotten three former UF players to BC. One started last year and two are slated to start this year including the QB. Where is the ND fifth year that Diaco can convince to come to Uconn? There are enough places on this team where a strong, significant player could come in a help for 1 year while getting a masters degree. Everyone else does it. It does not impact numbers for the next recruiting clas. One of Diaco's strengths is recruiting, so where are the one year/fifth year players for Uconn?

Reaction Score
I think Tyler Murphy is a nice athlete...but I wouldn't be jumping for joy about having him as my starting QB.

Reaction Score
I think Tyler Murphy is a nice athlete...but I wouldn't be jumping for joy about having him as my starting QB.
BC has no QB with experience so Murphy with SEC experience. is an upgrade over a true freshman. But that's not the point. The point is that Uconn has open slots that should be filled. And if Diaco is smart, he needs to play his ND recruits to come and play their final year of post-grad eligibility at Uconn. Or maybe some other kid he recruited that ended up somewhere else. Uconn can fill the open slots with experienced, mature players that could compete on the 2-deep but so far, no word that it is being done. If others do it, why not Uconn.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer that Diaco go after JUCO's. 5th year seniors only plug holes where, at least in my mind, a JUCO transfer fills a need and also allows for underclassman/less experienced players to get some more development time. I think 2-3 years from a JUCO, helps the team far better than a 5th year senior. USF had some pretty good success with recruiting JUCO's for awhile. Don't see why we can't fill some depth issues with guys that have at least a little playing time, albeit at a lower level.

Reaction Score
BC has no QB with experience so Murphy with SEC experience. is an upgrade over a true freshman. But that's not the point. The point is that Uconn has open slots that should be filled. And if Diaco is smart, he needs to play his ND recruits to come and play their final year of post-grad eligibility at Uconn. Or maybe some other kid he recruited that ended up somewhere else. Uconn can fill the open slots with experienced, mature players that could compete on the 2-deep but so far, no word that it is being done. If others do it, why not Uconn.

Did you watch any UF games last year? Murphy was a below average BCS level QB. Way below average as a matter of fact.

Reaction Score
Did you watch any UF games last year? Murphy was a below average BCS level QB. Way below average as a matter of fact.
Okay, keep missing the point. The point is that Uconn has holes and slots available on the roster. How do you fill them for this coming season? Why not post grad/fifth year players? I picked a school that is close by that may have 3 starters next year that fit this profile. They had one last year that helped make a nobody into a Heisman candidate. Why not Uconn? It does nothing to hurt recruiting this year's class (2015 HS class) because the slots are open after the end of this year. Why keep them free if you can find bodies that are mature and capable? You don't think that an extra OL, DL, LB, TE or WR with BCS level experience is not a good 1 year plug into an open slot? Why isn't Diaco re-recruiting some his guys that have degrees at ND to come play here? Seemed to work for Addazio. Seems to work at a lot of other schools, too. Just ask Wisc how much they liked havig Wilson for 1 season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If PP was still here (shudder)...then it would make sense to bring in 5th yr seniors. Diaco can afford to build a foundation with kids who are here for the long term. He wants UConn kids...or his recruits. When you are changing culture you don't need kids who bring in experiences from other schools.

I know with the conference situation, UConn can't be too patient...but I still would rather he build the program from the ground up. Adazzio on the other hand is trying to catch lightning in a bottle so he can get out of BC as fast as he can.

Reaction Score
Folks had better get it through there heads that Diaco is going to use 2014 to get experience for a lot of young players for the 2015, 2016 seasons. If I were him, that is what I would do. If we make the East Bumf**k Bowl at 6-6 this year it will be a very successful season. Getting 5th year seniors and a bunch of JUCOs does not help build a base for the future.

Reaction Score
Okay, keep missing the point. The point is that Uconn has holes and slots available on the roster. How do you fill them for this coming season? Why not post grad/fifth year players? I picked a school that is close by that may have 3 starters next year that fit this profile. They had one last year that helped make a nobody into a Heisman candidate. Why not Uconn? It does nothing to hurt recruiting this year's class (2015 HS class) because the slots are open after the end of this year. Why keep them free if you can find bodies that are mature and capable? You don't think that an extra OL, DL, LB, TE or WR with BCS level experience is not a good 1 year plug into an open slot? Why isn't Diaco re-recruiting some his guys that have degrees at ND to come play here? Seemed to work for Addazio. Seems to work at a lot of other schools, too. Just ask Wisc how much they liked havig Wilson for 1 season.

Generalization: but I think most guys that are going to transfer to play out a last year of eligibility are going to do it very clearly for one of two reasons. Nobody is coming to UCONN this year, because they think they can contribute to a top 25 cconference championship - bowl game run. That's not to say it's not possible - that we can have such a run in 2014, but....nuff said. The other reason doesn't matter, because you don't have to recruit those players, they come on their own.

Reaction Score

I couldn't disagree with your approach more. Play the young kids. Build a solid foundation. Honestly why on earth would you want a mediocre 5th year senior playing CB rather than Hadley, Williams, or Summers?

Reaction Score
Folks had better get it through there heads that Diaco is going to use 2014 to get experience for a lot of young players for the 2015, 2016 seasons. If I were him, that is what I would do. If we make the East Bumf**k Bowl at 6-6 this year it will be a very successful season. Getting 5th year seniors and a bunch of JUCOs does not help build a base for the future.
Thanks for that word, dogs. It's hard to not want HCBD to work magic right away, but I like your thought of building for the long term. "Patience, my young padawan."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom