When Will Morgan Tuck and Natalie Butler Leave UConn? | The Boneyard

When Will Morgan Tuck and Natalie Butler Leave UConn?

What will Morgan and Natalie do after they receive their degree?

• Both will leave UConn for the WNBA

• Both will stay for their 4th year of eligibility at UConn

• Morgan will return to UConn but Natalie will go to the WNBA

• Natalie will return to UConn but Morgan will go to the WNBA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morgan and Natalie will presumably receive their undergraduate degrees in May of 2016 and 2017 respectively. They will then both get to decide to stay at UConn for their 4th year of eligibility or move on to the WNBA, as they would each be eligible for the draft after their four years in school.

With so much speculation regarding the roster and starting lineup come November of 2017 and 2018, it might be interesting to know what the consensus is regarding Morgan and Natalie's whereabouts at that time.

A few assumptions:
1. They both matriculate normally and receive their undergraduate degree in four years.
2. Neither suffers a season-ending injury (or transfers).
3. Both will likely be desirable WNBA draft targets when eligible.
4. Nothing else happens to either that would preclude them from making said decision.

Assuming these, what do you think they will do?

My guess is that if all the assumptions prove true, most of us would prefer that they both stick around for their 4th year of eligibility. But ...let's find out with the following little poll.

Reaction Score
Okay, so I should have said (...let's find out with the ABOVE little poll.)

Reaction Score
I think Tuck is going to leave for the WNBA with her class of Stewart and Jefferson. In the most recent Geno Show Tuck was asked a question and said something like "I have 2 years left maybe more". That just struck me for some reason that she was leaning towards leaving with her class. I think that Butler will stay and use all of her eligibility. I don't think that Butler is going to be a big WNBA prospect and will end up playing overseas instead.

Reaction Score
Officially after this year, Morgan has two years remaining and Natalie has three years. Will Morgan take her red shirt year? I think if she is 100% healthy she will.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's very rare for a kid to leave early when they still have hoops eligibility left. I just don't see Morgan doing that, especially when she has a chance to do something no one has ever done before - win 5 NC's...

Reaction Score
I'm with sawx.If she is going to be among the top level draft picks and sees she has a fine pro career ahead of her - she'll leave. On to the next journey in her life which I'm sure was probably the chance to play pro ball.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
By all accounts, life at UConn is more enjoyable than life in the WNBA. I think most players would stay as long as possible (as Kalana Greene and even Caroline Doty did). I see regular stories about WNBA players who rarely see their teammates except for practice and games, who have to deal with a changing cast of teammates and coaches, who always travel on commercial flights (no Thanksgivings at a Florida resort with their parents, all expenses paid), and then face winters spent earning a living in some foreign country where they don't speak the language.

You want to put off the real world as long as possible, I would think.

Reaction Score
Why not stay, and have the university pay for at least part of a graduate degree?
That is what I was thinking. Morgan, more so than Natalie, knows just how quickly basketball can be taken away. Getting their Masters Degrees, at UConn's expense, while still playing the game, would be a wise investment for their after basketball careers.

Reaction Score
By all accounts, life at UConn is more enjoyable than life in the WNBA. I think most players would stay as long as possible (as Kalana Greene and even Caroline Doty did). I see regular stories about WNBA players who rarely see their teammates except for practice and games, who have to deal with a changing cast of teammates and coaches, who always travel on commercial flights (no Thanksgivings at a Florida resort with their parents, all expenses paid), and then face winters spent earning a living in some foreign country where they don't speak the language.

You want to put off the real world as long as possible, I would think.

I don't agree. If you are a top tier pick making good money (when you combine WNBA and overseas) in which you'll ultimately get that chance to fulfill your life long dream - I expect her to go for it.

These kids travel a ton all their lives and get this opportunity. If playing ball professionally wasn't so rewarding you'd see a lot of top level high school kids with strong grades go to colleges to develop in a way that isn't basketball. The top tier kids want it. They are putting a ton of work in practices and in the summers etc to achieve that goal.

Once it's there, and a chance to leave ---to use Swin Cash's terminology-- to leave with her "sisters"--- and become a top tier pick - imo she'll look to achieve that life-long dream at that moment.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff graduated and left with her class, rather than use an extra year of eligibility. On the Geno show, Morgan said, " I have at least two years left." That means she hasn't made up her mind yet. But she also said her best friend is Stewie, and I'm sure she feels a part of the MoJeff, Stewie class. She probably won't make a decision until she has to.

Butler is a different story, since she didn't come in with any other recruits. Since she voluntarily chose to sit out a year, I think she will use all of her eligibility. Only time will tell.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Seems to me that Morgan is easily the most natural leader on the team -- if we fast forward a couple of years, she will likely be the floor leader and true captain of the squad. (Probably next year as well). And--I mean this in a good way--she seems like a 'motherly' type of leader. Not sure why I say that, but I didn't get that same vibe from Renee, who IMO was the last clear cut floor leader we had. (Doty had a mentality and style that was similar to Renee's but I don't think her leadership position was nearly as clear cut as Renee's). Even Maya was not the leader in all ways, across the board, like Renee was.

So, I think Morgan would view leaving with 1 yr of eligibility left as akin to abandoning her platoon. A total non-starter. The pro draft calculus will be secondary.

But we will see. I sure hope to see her stay as long as possible. UCONN is a great ride!

Reaction Score
So, I think Morgan would view leaving with 1 yr of eligibility left as akin to abandoning her platoon. A total non-starter. The pro draft calculus will be secondary.

!

I don't see that at all. Her life-long dream way way way way surpasses this. Why wait? Continue to take the journey and continue with your life's pursuits.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's not uncommon for kids to leave a few classes short of graduating then making up the classes shortly thereafter. Why not stay an extra year, get the best coaching in the college game with a close group of teammates while finishing up the degree for free? UConn is guaranteed to be in the public eye so, barring injury (knock on wood), she has nothing to lose by staying.

Reaction Score
It's not uncommon for kids to leave a few classes short of graduating then making up the classes shortly thereafter. Why not stay an extra year, get the best coaching in the college game with a close group of teammates while finishing up the degree for free? UConn is guaranteed to be in the public eye so, barring injury (knock on wood), she has nothing to lose by staying.

Why would you not want to leave and have a chance to fulfill your life-long dream? What happens if you blowout your knee which she has issues with? Then all your life you might be second guessing yourself - to getting that one chance to play professionally which you set your goals to achieve.

Reaction Score
For someone seriously looking at a 10+ year pro basketball career, I suspect "Why should I stay here and get another year of wear and tear on my body?" will begin to be a common concern, like a running back. We see high school players already wearing knee supports, etc, indicative of overuse injuries. Their bodies eventually just wear out. If they're seriously gonna get paid for playing, then someone whose body and game are as mature and "ready" as Morgan's appear to be might consider this factor.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
You know what ?? I think both Natalie and Morgan will sit down with their parents, Geno, etc. evaluate their careers and desires at the time and make a decision that fits into their life. Neither one appears to be a flighty or indecisive individual.

Natalie has already made a few career/life path decisions by transferring from Georgetown.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This discussion reminded me of Dave Bike, a high school athlete at the same time I was. He had to make the decision between a full time college scholarship, and a professional contract. Male athletes are faced with this decision every year.

BTW, I found this bio of Dave Bike at Sacred Heart University:

DAVE BIKE

excerpt:

In his youth, Dave Bike was perhaps one of the most gifted athletes from the State of Connecticut and certainly the best in the City of Bridgeport. He played with and against men from the region who went on the play professionally in both basketball and baseball who will tell you what a fierce competitor and athlete Dave Bike was.

At nearby Notre Dame High School, he was an outstanding baseball player as well as an All-New England and All-State basketball selection that elected to bypass scholarship offers from Fordham and Boston College to sign a professional baseball contract.

Bike caught professionally for eight seasons (1965-72) in the Detroit Tigers’ farm system, reaching the Triple-A level. He played semi-professional basketball for several clubs during the off-season. Just a width of the chalk line from the Major Leagues, Bike walked away from the game he loved to go college an embark on a career as a teacher and coach.

He returned home to Bridgeport and enrolled at Sacred Heart University and is a member of the third graduating class in school history. While a student, he served as an assistant coach to his predecessor, J. Donald Feeley during the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons and graduated with a B.A. in Mathematics. He returned to his alma mater in 1978 after four seasons as an assistant basketball coach at Division I Seattle University.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I dunno, the Heisman Trophy winner decided to return to college rather than go pro. Everyone has different priorities and making money isn't always first on the list.

Reaction Score
sawxfan23, how would you know Natalie's potential? Geno has had very few transfers during his 30 years. He wouldn't have accepted her if he didn't believe she was a fit for the program. How many times have you seen her play, live or on video? Probably never. Natalie will be great, and then you'll have to pull your foot out of your mouth.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anything is possible. I hope both stay for their full basketball eligibility. One other thing to keep in mind - if she leaves with Jefferson and Stewie, it will leave UCONN very thin in the post and leave only Saniya in her class as the lone "senior". I think, as Nan said, she looks at all her options but ultimately gets as much free education as she can, and helps her teammates out by staying 5 full years.

Reaction Score
I dunno, the Heisman Trophy winner decided to return to college rather than go pro. Everyone has different priorities and making money isn't always first on the list.

You're right. But not all stay either. And if she goes - it doesn't mean it's all about the money. To be out on your own and experience -each one has a different timetable as to when they want to go out and experience it. She can always get her masters at a later time if that is what she wants.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible. I hope both stay for their full basketball eligibility. One other thing to keep in mind - if she leaves with Jefferson and Stewie, it will leave UCONN very thin in the post and leave only Saniya in her class as the lone "senior". I think, as Nan said, she looks at all her options but ultimately gets as much free education as she can, and helps her teammates out by staying 5 full years.

Butler will be in same class as Saniya from what I understand.

We'll have Butler (jr) and Boykin (So), then we'll have an additional 4 players who can play pf depending on matchups while also having Boykin able to play. We'll have Collier, KLS, Gabby and Irwin. All can play pf to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom