when uconn gets the big10 invite | The Boneyard

when uconn gets the big10 invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
does that mean hockey goes as well?
Curious to know what hockey fans would think about Big10 hockey vs Hockey East...

Reaction Score
B1G hockey is huge. I was in Minnesota one year when the high school hockey tourney was going on. The whole state basically has eyes glued on it. Games are televised.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think UConn is way, way, way, WAY better off in Hockey East, but if UConn ever got a shot at the Big Ten, you obviously go.

Reaction Score
Curious to know what hockey fans would think about Big10 hockey vs Hockey East...
I'm not a hockey fan but a friend's son is a coach at a major prep school and a former outstanding college player. They tell me the difference is style of play. Hockey East is a more physical conference and the Big 10 is more finesse. Father and son prefer the Big 10 style. They say it is a tossup as to which is better and that it changes year to year.
That said, hockey won't have even a small impact on deciding who gets invited or the Big 10 would have snagged BCU a long time ago.

Reaction Score

B1G doesn't do partial memberships. If UConn were invited, they'd be all in for the hockey conference.

I'd prefer Hockey East. But if we get the offer, we go. Frankly, a number of HEA fans would prefer we go too, but thankfully, the Presidents don't listen to them.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I have to think that being in the HEA or B1G will do a lot to improve our hockey team. I'm sure we'll be a doormat for at least a little while but there's definitely room for growth if we make it to the B1G and have $$ flowing in and being redistributed from the revenue sports.

Reaction Score
We'd bring the B1G to New England and be very competitive with Hockey East programs in recruiting. Slam dunk for us if we get an invite.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not a hockey fan but a friend's son is a coach at a major prep school and a former outstanding college player. They tell me the difference is style of play. Hockey East is a more physical conference and the Big 10 is more finesse. Father and son prefer the Big 10 style. They say it is a tossup as to which is better and that it changes year to year.
That said, hockey won't have even a small impact on deciding who gets invited or the Big 10 would have snagged BCU a long time ago.

It certainly isn't a tossup as to which is better, HE is better by quite a bit. The B1G is good, and produces some solid teams, but isn't really close. HE is a down a bit this year (Maine is awful) but still has #1 and #2 in the rankings. Not counting Notre Dame (which is joining like us) http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1 They have 3 in the top 20 and 4 receiveing votes. B1G has one ranked team and two receiving votes. It isn't even the second best conference. ECAC looks very strong this year. WCHA is better than the B1G too.

Reaction Score
In fairness, this is an uncharacteristically poor first half of the season for both Wisconsin and Michigan.

Although if we're comparing the B1G and the WCHA, you have to do the comparison with next year's WCHA alignment, not this year's. And only Ferris and Mankato are halfway decent in that grouping.

The NCHC, however, is looking quite a bit better than the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom