When to call a timeout | The Boneyard

When to call a timeout

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Throughout the year I have been upset at the unwillingness of DH to call a timeout when I felt it was an obvious spot to do so, or when the majority of coaches would do so. Tonight was a perfect example. Calhoun would have called one after the first 2 possessions - their first and our first. He certainly would not have waited for it to get to 9-0. At what point should a TO have been called? 5-0? 7-0? 9-0? What’s the deal?!

Reaction Score
One possession earlier maybe?

But calhoun would not have called a timeout after 2 possessions. Calhoun against sacred heart in November might have. Not against the first place team in the conference in January

Reaction Score
When the Xavier played waltzed down the lane for an uncontested dunk in the first half I thought to myself that Calhoun would have called a timeout instantly and either stormed onto the court to rip everyone or pull the move where he walks right past them all and stands silently solo around half court.

Reaction Score
When the Xavier played waltzed down the lane for an uncontested dunk in the first half I thought to myself that Calhoun would have called a timeout instantly and either stormed onto the court to rip everyone or pull the move where he walks right past them all and stands silently solo around half court.
Miss that guy!

Reaction Score
Throughout the year I have been upset at the unwillingness of DH to call a timeout when I felt it was an obvious spot to do so, or when the majority of coaches would do so. Tonight was a perfect example. Calhoun would have called one after the first 2 possessions - their first and our first. He certainly would not have waited for it to get to 9-0. At what point should a TO have been called? 5-0? 7-0? 9-0? What’s the deal?!
it was so obvious we were coming out flat and disorganized again. he should have stopped the bleeding right away. i don't know why he's so afraid to call timeouts. it's not like we use them well at the end of the game, anyway

Reaction Score
Calhoun didn’t call a timeout in the beginning of the Sweet 16 game in 1996 when Miss St went up 10-0. I was pissed about that. But it looks like Calhoun learned from that and I don’t remember him ever doing that again.

Reaction Score
This made me curious…..Has Hurley ever chewed out a player during a game while coaching UConn ? I dont remember seeing him do this in the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
it was so obvious we were coming out flat and disorganized again. he should have stopped the bleeding right away. i don't know why he's so afraid to call timeouts. it's not like we use them well at the end of the game, anyway
He loves to keep the use it or lose it timeout for when we get the ball with 40 seconds left in the first half. You know the one where he gathers the guys and tells the point guard to hold the ball until there is 8 on the shot clock and then go one on five and fling up a prayer.

It feels like every game we get possession with 40 seconds left at the end of the first half and just run clock and get awful looks.

Reaction Score
This made me curious…..Has Hurley ever chewed out a player during a game while coaching UConn ? I dont remember seeing him do this in the past 5 years.
Says he won’t add pressure to them (from podcast stuff). Never in a game.

Which is too bad, because some of them are just out of control sometimes.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger issue was not pulling Jackson before he got to 0-7. In hindsight probably doesn't matter because the entire team was missing everything, but that was brutal

Reaction Score
9-0 is not a big deal. It is a small run. It just seems huge at the beginning of a game. The other team will have a 9-0 almost every game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
now!
now would be a good time to call a timeout.
then, he should toss the gym keys to alex and tell him 'go run a practice, i won't be there.'
after that, he should go home, order a pie, tell everyone there to leave, and then sit in the comfy chair after he sparks one up with a large ice cold glass of water nearby, and then deeply contemplate the question,
'after all those years here by calhoun, nobody seems to recall anything pithy or noteworthy the man ever said, except for that m'fer thing or one or two others. do i talk too much yet say nothing believable?'
at the least, he should understand why the zebras tell him 'talk to the hand.'
if that happens, he could achieve a partial, tho far from complete,
enlightenment.

just becuz u yell, doesn't mean anyone is listening.

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley doesn’t hide his emotions very well on the sideline. If he’s angry, he’ll stomp his feet like a kid having a tantrum or yell so loud the entire arena can hear. When he’s excited, Hurley will hype up the crowd or go into the stands to help a player up. For him, it’s all part of the team-building process.

“A lot of opposing arenas are going to get some show this year,” Hurley joked. “When you’re first starting out and trying to build something, a mindset, a toughness and mentality, that’s how you have to coach your first year or two when you’re not quite as well-rounded in terms of having everything you need as a team. I’m going to have to will these guys through games, I’m going to have to coach every possession like it’s the end of the world.”
Once Hurley can get the players he needs and have them play the way he wants to, he’ll tone down the sideline antics a bit. But they won’t go away completely.

“Once we become a more well-rounded team with an overall better everything, you’re not going to see that maniacal, sideline stalker,” he said. “You’ll see it at times when we need it but you won’t see it possession in, possession out.”

November, 2018.
UConn Men’s Basketball: Dan Hurley is a "Maniacal Sideline Stalker"

Reaction Score
Says he won’t add pressure to them (from podcast stuff). Never in a game.

Which is too bad, because some of them are just out of control sometimes.
Well that’s why Calhoun won 3 national championships at UConn and Hurley had yet to win a game in the NCAA’s

Reaction Score
People seem to think you get an endless # of time outs. You only get 4 per game and you need to save at least one for the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Burning your last timeout when your best shooter had the bal and was making a move to score - and eventually did - was a horrible decision.

Reaction Score
Pretty much sums it up. A horrible decision. Some coaches fail to give their teams an edge when they need it most.

Remember when Pete Carroll made that idiotic timeout in Super Bowl XLIV with 26 seconds left on the 1 yard line and called for Russell Wilson to throw a slant pass? Coaches are paid to give their team that edge when they need it most.

Maybe Ken Pom would say that call last night was no luck.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom